Results are in from Illinois' 67% tax rate increase

Werbung:
Well its been three days. I wanna put my bet on Sept 1. But I think that my post will be the impetus for lag to read your post again and therefore to figure it out before it otherwise would have been noticed.

Lag, We all miss even the most obvious stuff esp when it concerns interpretation. In no way do I hold it against you nor think that you are in any way less intelligent* for not noticing. My post here is along the lines of friendly banter between brothers.
Figure what out? That both Acorn and I were being a bit sarcastic with each other? That I was overenthusiastic about my conclusions? That the unemployment rate started going up toward the end but was still below the point of the tax hike? I still think that the American Thinker showing just the employment rate was not telling the whole truth.
* in fact when I want a math problem solved I will surely be asking you. I have not sat down with this one yet but I would like to see the formula for comparing two different gas products that each give different MPH and cost a different amount to see which one is most economical. As an explanation, my local BP has non ethanol gas which is supposed to give a higher mpg but cost more while the local Thorntons has ethanol gas which has a lower mpg but cost less. Which should I buy and what price difference do I need to see before I make the change?
Re: gas mileage w and w/o 10% ethanol: A gallon of ethanol is supposed to have around 3 or 4% less energy than a gallon of gas if I remember correctly. However many anecdotal reports (including me) say it's more like 10% in practice. I used to get 25 mpg in a Tracker. Now I get 23 mpg. So it looks like it's a wash. A very expensive subsidized wash. If I could find it here I would go with the pure gas if it's less than 10% more expensive. It's easier on the engine. You have to verify it with your own car. Try recording mp$ and not mpg for both cases.

... If I could find it here I would go with the pure gas if it's less than 10% more expensive. It's easier on the engine. You have to verify it with your own car. Try recording mp$ and not mpg for both cases.
I try to keep track of this, and what I did notice is that the price of gasoline dropped a while ago, so didn't my mpg. It was like they knocked 12% off the MPG. This was the same pumps, the same brands, the same locations.

I came away concluding it wasn't the ethanol, it was something else in the mix.

In June, Walker earned boasting rights that half of the new jobs in the entire country -- a shocking and paltry 19,000 -- were created in his state. ...

Just to be clear here:

In July Wisconsin lost 12,500 jobs. By the way, that was not 19,000 private sector jobs created in June; it was 12,900.

That gives us a whopping 400 new jobs in two months.

This is something to be proud of? (By the way, these are Governor Walker's numbers. so my bet is that they are not understated.)

http://dwd.wisconsin.gov/dwd/newsreleases/2011/unemployment/110721_june_state.pdf

Just to be clear here:

In July Wisconsin lost 12,500 jobs. By the way, that was not 19,000 private sector jobs created in June; it was 12,900.

That gives us a whopping 400 new jobs in two months.

This is something to be proud of? (By the way, these are Governor Walker's numbers. so my bet is that they are not understated.)

http://dwd.wisconsin.gov/dwd/newsreleases/2011/unemployment/110721_june_state.pdf

I am wondering if you are not explaining yourself well enough for my feeble mind to grasp or if you are smoking something.

The link you provided did not discuss July jobs. As for June the net new jobs is in fact just what the article I posted said.

I try to keep track of this, and what I did notice is that the price of gasoline dropped a while ago, so didn't my mpg. It was like they knocked 12% off the MPG. This was the same pumps, the same brands, the same locations.

I came away concluding it wasn't the ethanol, it was something else in the mix.

Seasonal changes in both weather and mix do make a difference. I am checking my mpg each time too so I will know more later. I have discovered that having a lead foot makes a difference too.

Seasonal changes in both weather and mix do make a difference. I am checking my mpg each time too so I will know more later. I have discovered that having a lead foot makes a difference too.

Having a lead foot makes a huge difference. So does a lot of stop and go, slowing and accelerating, driving really slow or really fast.

I have a new car with a computer readout that tells you the MPG either current, or the average since the trip odometer was set. Put it on current, put the petal to the metal, and it goes into the single digits. On average, it's around 30 MPG. Makes a big difference how you drive.

Having a lead foot makes a huge difference. So does a lot of stop and go, slowing and accelerating, driving really slow or really fast.

I have a new car with a computer readout that tells you the MPG either current, or the average since the trip odometer was set. Put it on current, put the petal to the metal, and it goes into the single digits. On average, it's around 30 MPG. Makes a big difference how you drive.

I have that same screen:) Mine is on a new Pilot.

I have that same screen:) Mine is on a new Pilot.

Honda, great choice. Mine's a Subaru Outback.

I had a '90 Accord. Great car. 30 mpg and nearly 200,000 trouble free miles.

Those computer readouts are pretty revealing, aren't they?

Honda, great choice. Mine's a Subaru Outback.

I had a '90 Accord. Great car. 30 mpg and nearly 200,000 trouble free miles.

Those computer readouts are pretty revealing, aren't they?

I think I like the readout, but I am not sure. I calculated the mileage the old way (filling the tank, driving, and filling again) and that result was not the same as the computer readout. So one or both of them is not real real accurate- I just don't know which is more accurate. The computer said I got 17.2 and the old method said I got 18 (on a car that is rated at 16). This time around the computer readout is reading 18.2 with the better gas - so far.

Not as good a mileage as yours but it is an 8 seater with lots of cargo space which was important to us. I am looking forward to many years of little to no repair expenses.

I think I like the readout, but I am not sure. I calculated the mileage the old way (filling the tank, driving, and filling again) and that result was not the same as the computer readout. So one or both of them is not real real accurate- I just don't know which is more accurate. The computer said I got 17.2 and the old method said I got 18 (on a car that is rated at 16). This time around the computer readout is reading 18.2 with the better gas - so far.

Not as good a mileage as yours but it is an 8 seater with lots of cargo space which was important to us. I am looking forward to many years of little to no repair expenses.

That's the best part of the big three of reliability, Honda, Toyota, and Subaru.

My Toyota Tundra only gets 17-18 on average (calculated the old way, no computer readouts) but has given me 130,000 miles so far with nothing but brakes, batteries, tires, and shocks being worked on. That makes up for a lot of poor mileage.

My Subaru has averaged 29.7 over the past 6,000 + miles. Pretty good. Of course, it only holds five.

Let's see.. what was this thread? Derailed again. Oh, well.

With the computer readout, and showing mpg at that instant, I can watch and see how to adjust my driving. It has made differences in how I drive, including trying to coast to stops for red lights, or slowing down so I never hit a red light - it turns green before I get there. I am averaging over 25 mpg in a van that is reported to usually average 18 to 23 mpg.

Not sure this even qualifies as "news". It's one of the most predictable outcomes we have.

But, no doubt, those in charge in Illinois will describe it as "unexpected".

-------------------------------------

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/08/graph_for_the_day_for_august_25_2011.html

Graph for the Day for August 25, 2011

Randall Hoven
August 25, 2011

"We have an emergency, a fiscal emergency... Our state was careening toward bankruptcy, fiscal insolvency. Even in the last couple of months, the situation got seriously more dire. So the governor has to act at the moment. And that's what I did." Illinois Governor Pat Quinn, upon passage of a 67% tax increase at end of lame duck session, January 12, 2011.

"Democrats argued the tax increase was needed to rehabilitate the state's deadbeat image, but Republicans predicted it would drive businesses out of state." The Chicago Tribune, January 12, 2011.

unemployment_screenshot.png

How long before Democrats come piling in, to tell us that it is all a coincidence?

P.S. There's at least one very famous guy from Illinois, who wants to raise taxes for the entire country too.

With the computer readout, and showing mpg at that instant, I can watch and see how to adjust my driving. It has made differences in how I drive, including trying to coast to stops for red lights, or slowing down so I never hit a red light - it turns green before I get there. I am averaging over 25 mpg in a van that is reported to usually average 18 to 23 mpg.

Don't we all love saving money!!

Werbung:
Please check out this site and tell me what you think of it. Someone sent it to me in response to the website you posted from American Thinker that I sent to them.

http://lmi.ides.state.il.us/download/laus_ytd_july11.pdf

Not sure this even qualifies as "news". It's one of the most predictable outcomes we have.

But, no doubt, those in charge in Illinois will describe it as "unexpected".

-------------------------------------

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/08/graph_for_the_day_for_august_25_2011.html

Graph for the Day for August 25, 2011

Randall Hoven
August 25, 2011

"We have an emergency, a fiscal emergency... Our state was careening toward bankruptcy, fiscal insolvency. Even in the last couple of months, the situation got seriously more dire. So the governor has to act at the moment. And that's what I did." Illinois Governor Pat Quinn, upon passage of a 67% tax increase at end of lame duck session, January 12, 2011.

"Democrats argued the tax increase was needed to rehabilitate the state's deadbeat image, but Republicans predicted it would drive businesses out of state." The Chicago Tribune, January 12, 2011.

unemployment_screenshot.png

How long before Democrats come piling in, to tell us that it is all a coincidence?

P.S. There's at least one very famous guy from Illinois, who wants to raise taxes for the entire country too.

Back