1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Should NATO Continue to be Expanded?

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by BigRob, Jul 16, 2009.

?

Should NATO expand outside of Europe?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I don't know

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

In a Czech source, it was reported that an adviser to Prime Minister Netanyahu stated that after the creation of a Palestinian state, Israel should be invited into NATO, thus giving it full protection under Article 5.

This begs the question, should NATO expansion continue outside of Europe? Many of the arguments in favor of expansion throughout Europe focused on "spreading democracy" and "common values" as opposed to any real military alliance. If NATO has lost its role as a collective defense organization, it would seem logical to offer membership to like minded nations around the globe.

Further, the CSTO (The Russian response to NATO post Warsaw Pact) has made rumors that Iran might be invited to join eventually. Clearly, the implications for such a move would be great.

Personally, I think that Europe would reject Israeli membership into the alliance, and that this comment by an Israeli adviser is more a shot in the dark to gauge reaction.

What do you think? Expand NATO outside of Europe or are the gains (if there are any) so minute it does not outweigh the cost?

1 person likes this.
  2. pocketfullofshells

pocketfullofshells Well-Known Member

land of 10,000 lakes and 2 senators again
    I dont know, but on the issue of adding Israel...hell no just about sums it up.

3. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

What about if Iran was added to the CSTO?

4. top gun

top gun New Member

You bring up good points Rob.

I'd say this may well just have been a trial balloon sent up by Israel. But I also think things like an Iranian alliance with Russia or an Iran with a nuke (which I have doubts would be allowed to happen but who knows) could possibly sway opinions around a bit.

On a urgent sidebar: Whatever happens let's keep it together with the Russians... a Stolichnaya (Stoly's) Vodka embargo could quite possibly kill me!;)

5. pocketfullofshells

pocketfullofshells Well-Known Member

land of 10,000 lakes and 2 senators again
    I could care less what Iran does in regards to joining Israel...I am anti Israel anything basicly in regards to joining them.