• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

BigRob

In a Czech source, it was reported that an adviser to Prime Minister Netanyahu stated that after the creation of a Palestinian state, Israel should be invited into NATO, thus giving it full protection under Article 5.

This begs the question, should NATO expansion continue outside of Europe? Many of the arguments in favor of expansion throughout Europe focused on "spreading democracy" and "common values" as opposed to any real military alliance. If NATO has lost its role as a collective defense organization, it would seem logical to offer membership to like minded nations around the globe.

Further, the CSTO (The Russian response to NATO post Warsaw Pact) has made rumors that Iran might be invited to join eventually. Clearly, the implications for such a move would be great.

Personally, I think that Europe would reject Israeli membership into the alliance, and that this comment by an Israeli adviser is more a shot in the dark to gauge reaction.

What do you think? Expand NATO outside of Europe or are the gains (if there are any) so minute it does not outweigh the cost?

Werbung:
In a Czech source, it was reported that an adviser to Prime Minister Netanyahu stated that after the creation of a Palestinian state, Israel should be invited into NATO, thus giving it full protection under Article 5.

This begs the question, should NATO expansion continue outside of Europe? Many of the arguments in favor of expansion throughout Europe focused on "spreading democracy" and "common values" as opposed to any real military alliance. If NATO has lost its role as a collective defense organization, it would seem logical to offer membership to like minded nations around the globe.

Further, the CSTO (The Russian response to NATO post Warsaw Pact) has made rumors that Iran might be invited to join eventually. Clearly, the implications for such a move would be great.

Personally, I think that Europe would reject Israeli membership into the alliance, and that this comment by an Israeli adviser is more a shot in the dark to gauge reaction.

What do you think? Expand NATO outside of Europe or are the gains (if there are any) so minute it does not outweigh the cost?

You bring up good points Rob.

I'd say this may well just have been a trial balloon sent up by Israel. But I also think things like an Iranian alliance with Russia or an Iran with a nuke (which I have doubts would be allowed to happen but who knows) could possibly sway opinions around a bit.

On a urgent sidebar: Whatever happens let's keep it together with the Russians... a Stolichnaya (Stoly's) Vodka embargo could quite possibly kill me!;)

Werbung:
Back