Should the US Navy board this vessel by force?

Werbung:
If not, what should be done?

What do you think?

link

The story reads that the cargo is banned under a new U.N. resolution, why doesnt the UN do something about it (besides write a strong letter)

What do we keep giving them money for and why do we keep honoring our UN agreements if the UN is not going to make others do the same?

Make the UN take care of it is what I would do. I dont think we can afford to do anything about it ourself, we would probably get smacked down and look even more stupid than we already do :(

What do you think?

link

Israel has had I don't know how many resolutions against it, and we just ignore them..You can't just pick and choose which UN resolutions you're going to enforce dependent upon whom the subject is..sounds rather hypocritical.

The US and a few other bullies deciding who can be a nuclear power and who can't...what a joke. Why don't we just try minding our own business for a change?

Israel has had I don't know how many resolutions against it, and we just ignore them..You can't just pick and choose which UN resolutions you're going to enforce dependent upon whom the subject is..sounds rather hypocritical.

The US and a few other bullies deciding who can be a nuclear power and who can't...what a joke. Why don't we just try minding our own business for a change?

becuse if ever there was a nation that should not have nukes...they are it? and minding our own buisness means Japan has nukes then...and ramps up its military, and so does S. Korea...thus China responds in kind as well to new threats....if you like a crazy man like this with nukes ...then you must hate earth or something.

that said one has to understand that taking this ship...about zero chance it happens) could very easily end with hundreds of thousands of dead...and I think to many make light of a very serius outcome,.

Engage the services of the Indian Navy its a part of their sphere of influence. Task them to stop and search and if there are weapons found then invoke the respective UN resolution - North Korea can then complain to the Indians who would care less!

Job done..............

Engage the services of the Indian Navy its a part of their sphere of influence. Task them to stop and search and if there are weapons found then invoke the respective UN resolution - North Korea can then complain to the Indians who would care less!

Job done..............

of course what says that the fact India did it, that they would not hold the US/UN responsible and act the same as if we did it our self? Not much. even if he was not a crazy loony toon leader...if India did it, we would all know who was behind it still.

Those are GA resolutions which have no legal authority. The resolutions concerning this situation about North Korea are legally binding Security Council resolutions.

No one is "picking and choosing" anything. And your perceived hypocrisy comes from the simple fact you do not know the law governing the UN.

What do you think?

link

We should do nothing for now. We should follow the ship until it runs out of gas (which it will). At that point, it will be have to be towed into a port, and the laws of the port will then govern the ship, and boarding it will become much less of a legal hassle.

That said, we could have the legal right to stop and board the ship, but to do it in a way the world would not see a "unilateral" action would be to our benefit.

We should do nothing for now. We should follow the ship until it runs out of gas (which it will). At that point, it will be have to be towed into a port, and the laws of the port will then govern the ship, and boarding it will become much less of a legal hassle.

That said, we could have the legal right to stop and board the ship, but to do it in a way the world would not see a "unilateral" action would be to our benefit.

why would it just run out of gas? I mean it must have planned places to get oil...or are you thinking no one will refule it at all?

also its North Korea, while it may no be unilateral action...logic has never dictated what they will do or say about it.

I think the key is to just keep in mind the real risks of doing anything...and to not try to just puff out our chest...if we want to do something, we need to be ready for the possibility that things could spiral out of control and take it far deeper then we wanted or hoped. I would harass it and do as they have suggested, stop short of boarding ( unless we knew it was nukes or something, not just small arms) and pressure the nation its heading to to not let it in. and also if we are going to intercept it, let china show its really serious and do it, Korea is the least likely to go nuts of China does it.

why would it just run out of gas? I mean it must have planned places to get oil...or are you thinking no one will refule it at all?

The ship is so slow and for it to get anywhere that it would potentially be going it would have to stop somewhere to refuel. At that point we then have more options, which is never a bad thing.

also its North Korea, while it may no be unilateral action...logic has never dictated what they will do or say about it.

I mean that we do not want our action to be perceived as unilateral, and the more international help (especially from China) we can get to deal with North Korea the better.

I think the key is to just keep in mind the real risks of doing anything...and to not try to just puff out our chest...if we want to do something, we need to be ready for the possibility that things could spiral out of control and take it far deeper then we wanted or hoped. I would harass it and do as they have suggested, stop short of boarding ( unless we knew it was nukes or something, not just small arms) and pressure the nation its heading to to not let it in. and also if we are going to intercept it, let china show its really serious and do it, Korea is the least likely to go nuts of China does it.

Regardless of what we do, that ship is not going to reach its destination. I think you are right that China holds the key to containing and eliminating the North Korean threat. We ought to start work on a joint US-Japanese nuclear deal and ramp up rhetoric and support for a Japanese nuclear program. That, to date, has been the only thing that has gotten any kind of response from the Chinese on the North Korean issue.

Regardless of what we do, that ship is not going to reach its destination. I think you are right that China holds the key to containing and eliminating the North Korean threat. We ought to start work on a joint US-Japanese nuclear deal and ramp up rhetoric and support for a Japanese nuclear program. That, to date, has been the only thing that has gotten any kind of response from the Chinese on the North Korean issue.

possible, but that also could lead to the very prospect we are trying to avoid, of a nuclear arms race in asia. China could go the reverse and back it more as it needs to push against the US Japan workings. Granted it would most likey force them to talk, but we need to make sure we dont do the very thing we want to stop. but it could be the only way.

Werbung:
Back