What is the point?

Dawkins, only children make remarks about childishness. I don't think you are childish. I thing you are a child, there's a difference. You're supposed to think like a young person thinks. It's good that you question. It shows you continue to "evolve". I'm most likely old enough to be your mother, so what do I have that you most likely do not? More time on the planet. An education. A serious knowledge of history and mankind. It was my major. I know this stuff kiddo. Mankind's actions regarding destruction of his fellow man were NOT all over religion. They were and continue to be ALL about the need for power in some regard.

When I was young I struggled with the concept of God a lot, and many, many times over. I grew up in California in the 60's, it wasn't the most traditional of times in any regard. I doubt you were there. Don't try to pin the idea that anyone who believes in God is just a drone of tradtional thought. I don't need to fool you. Why would that matter? You see, the main thing that age does is make you realize that hate only hurts the one hating. You don't hate religion. You hate PEOPLE who believe in God. That's a lot of people to hate. If you want to hate, then concentrate on someone who actually does harm to you. At the end of the day, what is your hate going to bring you? the last word? Will that make you happy? I hope so. Think whatever you like, however, I would suggest that you know what you're talking about, don't just take snippets of concepts, and don't get stuck on what people did 200 or 2000 years ago.

Werbung:
Hmm, still no rebuttal.

Continued assumption of superiority.

Misrepresentation of my views. I hate religion. I pity those who believe and hate those who commit the crimes in the name of it. The bad **** that makes me hate religion is current.

But the point of this thread is 'what is the point of going to heaven?'

It is a very valid question and contrary to what you say it is not childish to challenge heaven, it is childish to accept it.

Your georgraphical location and your education has no bearing whatsoever on this question. Except that it is difficult to take seriously your claims of education when you just keep responding to my posts with condecension.

Why don't you do us all a big favour and just tell me what the point of going to heaven forever is?

If you can.

If you don't let's just assume you can't

Hmm, still no rebuttal.

Continued assumption of superiority.

Misrepresentation of my views. I hate religion. I pity those who believe and hate those who commit the crimes in the name of it. The bad **** that makes me hate religion is current.

But the point of this thread is 'what is the point of going to heaven?'

It is a very valid question and contrary to what you say it is not childish to challenge heaven, it is childish to accept it.

Your georgraphical location and your education has no bearing whatsoever on this question. Except that it is difficult to take seriously your claims of education when you just keep responding to my posts with condecension.

Why don't you do us all a big favour and just tell me what the point of going to heaven forever is?

If you can.

If you don't let's just assume you can't

As I understand it the point of heaven differs somewhat between religions. I admit I am coming into this discussion late, but what religion are you talking about?

Any religion where heaven is somehwere that you live for eternally.

Eternal life is not the great thing of myth. It is a curse as everything would become unbearable if experienced over eternity.

It sounds like hell to me

Any religion where heaven is somehwere that you live for eternally.

Eternal life is not the great thing of myth. It is a curse as everything would become unbearable if experienced over eternity.

It sounds like hell to me

I highly doubt going to heven and being unhappy is anything you will ever have to worry about in this life or the next, in any religion :)

Hey, more glib bilge from the religious who can't answer the question and have probably never considered the very real idea that eternal life is hell.

Hey, more glib bilge from the religious who can't answer the question and have probably never considered the very real idea that eternal life is hell.

I agree it probably would be for you. so what is the argument? will you not be happy until everyone agrees with you? I think it would not be a hell. An eternity to learn and grow and expand my mind, learn new things. It sounds very nice to me, but if you were stuck in that same place with really negative people always complaining and never feeling as though they got thier fair share, always dragging everything down, I would change my tune and I would think it a horrible hell of a place.

No one knows or can prove what happens after we die, and all the fighting in the world wont make us know for sure. what is the point in fighting over it. at least we can all agree being stuck together in with this mindset for eternity would be hell :)

Anyway, back to the point.

Anything endured for eternity would become unbearable.

Unless you are numbed by some drug.

Is that what happens in heaven, you all live in some semi-conscious stae where you just exist?

FOR WHAT??????????????????????????????????????

Anyway, back to the point.

Anything endured for eternity would become unbearable.

Unless you are numbed by some drug.

Is that what happens in heaven, you all live in some semi-conscious stae where you just exist?

FOR WHAT??????????????????????????????????????

how can anyone know for sure what is happening anyplace except the place they are in ?

I would not worry about it if I were you.

Well christians keep banging on about how important it is to live the right life so that they can get access to heaven.

I thought that one of them might have actually considered the implications of this.

Sounds like they haven't and have been looking forward to something that sounds like hell.

Well christians keep banging on about how important it is to live the right life so that they can get access to heaven.

I thought that one of them might have actually considered the implications of this.

Sounds like they haven't and have been looking forward to something that sounds like hell.

that is their hope so they do what they do

why do you care what they do as long as it doesnt effect you?

why do you care what other people think about something that no one can possibly know how it really is?

Because if people can accept that the idea of heaven is actually counter productive they will probably see that the whole religious thing is nonesense.

Then they will live fulfilled lives.

They will stop promoting ignorance.

They will stop trying to discriminate against people who happen to be born gay.

They will keep their uninformed nose out of stem cell research.

They will stop thinking it is god's will to kill Iraqis

Good enough?

Werbung:
Because if people can accept that the idea of heaven is actually counter productive they will probably see that the whole religious thing is nonesense.

Then they will live fulfilled lives.

They will stop promoting ignorance.

They will stop trying to discriminate against people who happen to be born gay.

They will keep their uninformed nose out of stem cell research.

They will stop thinking it is god's will to kill Iraqis

Good enough?

I think people who have faith already lead fullfilling lives, are you sure they and not you are the one promoting ignorance?
I dont think christians are the bigger problem against homosexuals, I think Islam has a less tolerent view of them. I think they already keep their uninformed noses out of stem cell research, the people who are against using a fetus just say dont make us as tax payers fund it. you can use your own money and fund it

being in iraq has nothing to do with chrisitans

where do you get your news exactly?

Back