Who are Mitt Romney's 47 percent? A breakdown

correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you wished to regulate/ban/? AK's and their ilk due to some lack of need then you seem to agree with me that its not valid to regulate/ban/? nuclear weapons, RPGs or land mines. this seems contradictory to me.
I didn't say ban anything. I was referring to regulating "larger" arms as opposed to small arms. I defined small arms more than once, which clearly states ALL arms 50 cal or less even with some exceptions for that.

"Though there is no civilian definition [for small arms] within the U.S., any firearm utilizing a projectile greater than 1/2 inch (.50 caliber or 12.7 mm) in diameter is legally defined as a "destructive device," while anything .50 caliber or less is normally considered "small arms." The so-called "1/2 inch rule" does not apply to shotguns, sporting cartridge big bore rifles (such as rifles chambered in .600 Nitro Express) or muzzleloading black powder firearms, many of which are larger than .50 caliber"

Werbung:
The right to own large arms like a RPG .... Land mines, nuclear bombs? Are you suggesting no regulation on arms at all?
2nd: A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

In the 2nd, do the words "well regulated" appear before the word "militia" or before the word "arms"? Which then is to be "well regulated", militias or arms?

What do you think regulation is, exactly?

Why is it OK for a soldier in our military to have an RPG and not OK for a civilian to have one? Explain the rationality behind your thinking, why one is acceptable and the other is not. Is an RPG not equally dangerous whether it's in the hands of one vs. the other?

What do you think regulation is, exactly?

In context to the 2nd Amendment, I am sure this refers to the actions and duties of the militia. That the militia is in line with the policies of the state. To prevent a rogue militia from fighting for an alternative cause or agenda.

Why is it OK for a soldier in our military to have an RPG and not OK for a civilian to have one? Explain the rationality behind your thinking, why one is acceptable and the other is not. Is an RPG not equally dangerous whether it's in the hands of one vs. the other?
Because a soldier, in theory, is well regulated. As in part of a well regulated militia. A civilian is not, nor should they be.

But, I like your thinking. If civilians gain full access to military weapons the first thing I'm gonna do is buy me a stealth jet. That will be a hell of a lot more fun than my motorcycle :)

In context to the 2nd Amendment, I am sure this refers to the actions and duties of the militia. That the militia is in line with the policies of the state. To prevent a rogue militia from fighting for an alternative cause or agenda.

Because a soldier, in theory, is well regulated. As in part of a well regulated militia. A civilian is not, nor should they be.

But, I like your thinking. If civilians gain full access to military weapons the first thing I'm gonna do is buy me a stealth jet. That will be a hell of a lot more fun than my motorcycle :)

might want to consider this more along the like of regulating the militia to not be used against the citizens.
think posse comitatus.
the purpose of these is to control the government's ability to abuse the public its intended to serve BY giving the public the ability to push back.

I'm told one of Texas' native sons on the floor of the Senate said something very much like this 'the purpose of the @nd amendment is to shoot any damn polititian who threatens the people's rights.

Not suggesting we shoot politicians any more than I'm suggesting politicians attack our rights but the framers knew the disaming of the citizenry leads to only one thing.

To prevent a rogue militia from fighting for an alternative cause or agenda.
Like our founders fighting for liberty against an oppressive government?

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Where the government is afraid of the people, you have freedom. Where the people are afraid of the government, you have tyranny. Limiting civilians to lesser arms than those available to the military grants government carte blanche to impose it's will on the people. Our revolutionary war would have never been successful if England had "regulated" the arms available to the colonists and thereby ensured they were far lesser than those available to the British military. Luckily for us, all "arms" were about the same at that time. They are far more advanced now and that's why it's more important than ever that the 2nd be recognized as allowing civilians the right to keep and bear the arms necessary to defend themselves.

Because a soldier, in theory, is well regulated. As in part of a well regulated militia.
I ask again, what exactly do you think regulations are? Rules? Laws? Standards of conduct? Here's a law... You are free to exercise your rights in any way you see fit in the pursuit of your own happiness BUT you may not violate the rights of others in the process.
A civilian is not, nor should they be.
You say civilians should not be regulated yet that's exactly what you're doing by limiting the "arms" they are legally allowed to keep and bear with an arbitrary standard far below that of the US military.

Every legitimate power used by government is based on individual rights. Our military doesn't have some super rights, all rights are individual rights and apply equally to every individual, so the arms of our military are an extension of the individual right to keep and bear arms. The legitimacy of our military to act in our defense comes from the individual right of self defense, the US military acts as our agent of self defense to protect our rights on a national scale. Should our government (and therefore military) ever become destructive to those ends, who would be capable of protecting We The People?

Without using an appeal to fear or consequences, tell me why a civilian should not be allowed to own an RPG. It's already against the law for him to use his right to bear arms to violate the rights of others... So you need to explain why his right should be infringed upon (limited to an arbitrary standard) and where government derives this power to infringe upon a right that government is specifically barred from infringing upon - shall not be infringed.

I doubt you have $120 million laying around to purchase a stealth jet, most people don't.... So the market would effectively "regulate" the arms available to the public without the need for arbitrary government standards.

You make a good argument for this GenSeneca ....

And, I agree with your argument. But, this really comes down to common sense government. I don't think it is rational to think that access to military weapons or "large" arms would realistically be a good thing. Trusting a civilian with a AR-15 is not the same as trusting a civilian with an RPG or surface to air missiles.

Look at the multiple deaths daily in Chicago from "gang related" violence. Could you imagine if these idiots had ready access to military style weapons. Again, common sense government.

Werbung:
You make a good argument for this GenSeneca ....

And, I agree with your argument.
Clearly you do not.
But, this really comes down to common sense government.
Do you consider "common sense" to be based on reason or emotion? If it's based on emotion, then it is not rational.
I don't think it is rational to think that access to military weapons or "large" arms would realistically be a good thing.
The laws you support are not what's keeping criminals from obtaining military hardware.

Trusting a civilian with a AR-15 is not the same as trusting a civilian with an RPG or surface to air missiles.
Lets compare apples to apples here. The civilian AR-15 is a semi-auto-only variant of the military AR which has select fire (single shot, full auto, 3 round burst). The semi-auto-only costs about $800 while a select fire will cost at least $5000.

There aren't too many people willing to spend $5k for an AR-15 and, chances are, those who are willing to spend that kind of money are firearm enthusiasts - not murderous thugs.
Look at the multiple deaths daily in Chicago from "gang related" violence. Could you imagine if these idiots had ready access to military style weapons. Again, common sense government.
That's not "common sense", those are appeal to fear and appeal to consequence fallacies. Rationally, you know I'm correct. Weapon bans don't effect criminals, only law abiding citizens like myself. If the gangs in Chicago, or elsewhere, wanted military hardware they'd have it. Such arms could, and sometimes do, come across the border with their illegal shipments of Cocaine/Heroin/etc.

The irrational laws you support are not keeping military hardware out of the hands of criminals, only out of the hands of law biding citizens. It's the cost of military hardware that keeps military grade weapons out of the hands of gang members and other criminals, they'd rather spend their money on drugs and cheap disposable weapons.

Back