1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Who Know's?

Discussion in 'Culture & Religion' started by 1soldier, Sep 17, 2009.

1. 1soldier

1soldier New Member

What is the Urim and Thummim? Does anyone know? What can you tell us about it. If it is something of physical nature can it be possible it may or has been discovered in our days? Is there any physical items mentioned in the holy bible that have ever been discovered?

1Soldier

2. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

Urim and Thummin were objects for casting lots of some sort.

There have been thousands of physical items discovered that were mentioned in the bible. They include verification of the existence of people, cultures, geographical features, architectural structures, etc.

Some of the older ones include:

part of King David's palace
    the tel dan stela that describes a battle fought against King David
    seige tower from when king Nebuchadnezzar attacked Jerusalem
    evidence for the exodus here:
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/8830/exodus.html

3. foggedinn

foggedinn New Member

One of those exquisite mysteries of scripture. They are only vaguely mentioned in two or three places.

Probably the clearest mention (and it's vague) is found in Exodus 28 verse 30. They are to be worn in the breastplate, over the heart by Aaron the High Priest when he stand before the Lord. (i.e. before the Ark of the Covenant in the Holy of Holies). They appear to be some sort of oracular devices.

I believe they are also mentioned (vaguely) in the Book of Nehemiah. After the walls and Temple are rebuilt, the elders commission a search to find the Priest to wear the Urim and Thummin. I believe the Priest they find is Ezra.

I know the Urim is mentioned somewhere else, I just can't remember where.

I hope this helps.