64%...

Werbung:
They're probably afraid that they'd be voted out of office if they actually faced reality and made the taxpayers and recipients of government money of all sorts face it with them.

Do you think their fears are well grounded?

Good ideas and politics rarely mix. ;)

Getting more than you paid into is...and getting less than you paid in is robbery.

Why can't I just opt out and keep my money?

Because, unfortunately for you, a long time ago people in this country decided that we would assume the task of actually caring about each other and maintaining a sense of communal responsibility.

I know that sucks and you wish it could be destroyed, but for now it still survives.

IF you paid in. Kid I know (age 15) is drawing a check, never paid a dime.

Which is one of several things wrong with SS, paying money out to people who never paid in. Another biggie has been using SS money for the day to day operation of government.

because if that was a option we would end up with lots and lots of old people with no income.....and I doubt anyone has any grand ideas how to deal with that in a ethical way...

If they are only getting back what they paid in, then the money ought to be there right?

That aside, why not pursue an idea along these lines:

50 and older: Social Security remains the same
30 to 49: You receive a one time buy out, and are no longer able to collect
0-29: Social Security is eliminated

Werbung:
Because, unfortunately for you, a long time ago people in this country decided that we would assume the task of actually caring about each other and maintaining a sense of communal responsibility.

I know that sucks and you wish it could be destroyed, but for now it still survives.

If you truly cared about helping people and maintaining a sense of communal responsibility, you would be screaming for Social Security reform... without it, the system will collapse and no one will get anything.

Then I suppose we can all be communally screwed...

Back