Alaska Political Topics

Bunz

Hi Folks,
Most people here realise I am an Alaskan and a very proud one at that. I know that Alaska is often in the national news for one thing or another. I am curious as to what you know and your opinions on some issues that you are aware of. So give me your thoughts on any or all of these topics.

ANWR
Bridges to Nowhere
Aerial wolf hunting
Pebble Mine
Gas Pipeline
On going political corruption scandal
General social issues
Our very attractive Governor. Sarah Palin
Native Issues
Or any other Alaska related topic you like.

I would like to gauge national opinions on these issues, and dispell any lies that are involved etc. So let me have it, and lets debate the issues.

Werbung:
Hi Folks,
Most people here realise I am an Alaskan and a very proud one at that. I know that Alaska is often in the national news for one thing or another. I am curious as to what you know and your opinions on some issues that you are aware of. So give me your thoughts on any or all of these topics.

Aerial wolf hunting

What is the point of this "aerial wolf hunting"? I see where the stated reason is to keep up the populations of moose and caribou. For whom? hunters? Or is nature that out of balance even in Alaska? On the surface, from the outside, I don't like it, at all. I hope the ballot measure to outlaw the practice passes.

What's the deal with ANWR? Is there really any kind of substantial wildlife there or is it just the environmentalists going crazy for the sake of going crazy?

What is the point of this "aerial wolf hunting"? I see where the stated reason is to keep up the populations of moose and caribou. For whom? hunters? Or is nature that out of balance even in Alaska? On the surface, from the outside, I don't like it, at all. I hope the ballot measure to outlaw the practice passes.
Good question. There is lots of confusion about this.
Nature isnt out of balance. But for discussion purposes, lets break hunters into two groups. Sport hunters and subsistence hunters. Sport hunters being ones that are looking for the largest example of the species. A moose with a 50inch spread on its antlers is considered a trophy. Subsistence users
(like myself) are just looking for a single animal of any size for eating purposes. Aerial wolf hunting is to maximize moose and caribou for subsistence users. Wolves are in no way endangered in Alaska. In most areas of the state there is a hunting season for them. But the vastness of Alaska and its remoteness raises the idea of hunting from the air. But that hunting is heavily regulated. Hunters must have special permits and thier own airplane, and undertake those costs on themselves. Hunting from an airplane is far from easy, and hunters are required to land and recover the downed wolf and skin it, so its pelt is used. Wolf fur is considered the best material for ruffs on hoods. For example a parka. It is also allowed only in a few areas where studies have shown that wolves consume nearly %70 of caribou and moose calves in the first 6 weeks of thier lives. That is a substantial amount when someone is trying to put food in the freezer. I wont support the ballot measure, but if it were to pass my feelings wouldnt be hurt. As I dont live in an area where this happens.

What's the deal with ANWR? Is there really any kind of substantial wildlife there or is it just the environmentalists going crazy for the sake of going crazy?

Another good question. I have never been to ANWR as it is about 1000miles from where I live. But yes thier is substantial wildlife there. But keep in mind that ANWR is the size of South Carolina from what I understand. They want to drill in an area the size of Charleston. So a single city worth of development in an area the size of a state. But there are lots of caribou, polar bears, and water fowl. Including some very rare birds. I dont support ANWR for a few reasons.
A. There isnt that much oil there.
B. There is oil elsewhere.
C. It is a slippery slope to allow drilling there. What is next, re-opening the 100 year old gold mine in Denali National Park? To sum it up, that land was set aside as a National Wildlife refuge, and we need to let it remain that.
But ANWR is a hot topic and there are billions of dollars at stake. So it is easy to let green cloud ones vision.

I Bow my Head in Shame

Dear Honorable Lisa Murkowski,

I usually don't take the time to sit down and write to my Senator in Washington DC, but lately I have been becoming more angered by this governments inability to work together to solve issues of concern for the CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES.
As far as I am concerned, there is nothing United about the politics of Washington. I am a 20 year veteran of the United States Coast Guard and am proud to say that I served my country well, however, it has become apparent as of late that public service has become a secondary consideration.
Let me make a few points that really hit home to what I am talking about.

Point #1
This continuing war in Iraq of which the majority of the American public OPPOSE, has become President Bush’s private little game of cat and mouse. He is bound and determined to break this country financially and if he had his way completely, he would send the entire Unites States Armed forces to set up a little Bush country for the people of Iraq, who obviously aren't interested in our help, because if they were, they would get off their high horses and work together.
We went into that country under false presidential leadership intentions and now we are stuck in another Vietnam. The real shame of all this is that we will not solve this religious infighting and it is wasting AMERICAN lives everyday.
Oh, yea, I forgot, we are supposed to be going after the guy that masterminded 911. He is laughing all the way to his retreat. What a dishonor to those Americans that died at ground Zero

I BOW MY HEAD IN SHAME FOR THIS!

Point #2
To allow the Iranian president to speak in the United States DISHONORS those patriotic Americans killed in Iraq. This guy is funneling weapons to Iraq that is and has killed OUR personnel in Iraq. I don't care how much of a scolding he got from the University President; his mission here was propaganda, plain and simple. Again,

I BOW MY HEAD IN SHAME!

Point #3

We seemed to be so concerned with helping out the entire world with everything from finances (Which again is breaking this country) to sending our already stretched troops. The Gulf Coast of the UNITED STATES is still not getting help from it's OWN government. Again,

I BOW MY HEAD IN SHAME!

Point #4
The Corruption and the me, me, me attitude in Washington D.C that you hear about everyday. Now it is obvious to me that there is allot of underhandedness that continually goes on and most of it does not have the interests of the AMERICAN people at heart.

I BOW MY HEAD IN SHAME!

Point #5

Closer to home here in Alaska, I am completely Disgusted with Don Young and his arrogant attitude, Ted and Ben Stevens, and the entire Alaska State Legislature in all of this Corruption. It sickens me to know that our trusted ELECTED officials have decided to park themselves in the back pocket of big oil. Again,

I BOW MY HEAD IN SHAME!

These are just a few of the issues that really burn me up.

The United States used to be a Country that was looked upon and admired for it's leadership, integrity, and honesty. This has now become a thing of the past and again,

I BOW MY HEAD IN SHAME!

I love this Country and would do anything for it, not for its elected officials or the Washington DC Leadership, but for the AMERICAN PEOPLE, because when you get right down to it, that is all that matters.

AND FOR THAT I LIFT MY HEAD UP IN PRIDE!!!

Well written AKFlyin, nice to see a fellow Alaskan come around. Our congressional delegation is no longer a source of pride for this state, but instead shame. I think and hope good changes are coming as a result of all these investigations and trials.

Werbung:
Update:
Former GOP State Representative Tom Anderson will be sentenced next week after his conviction in Federal Court for corruption and bribery. Prosecutors are asking for the maximum of 8 years in prison, the defense is asking for just over 2 years.
Former GOP State Senator Pete Kott has been found guilty of the same charges, he is arguing for his conviction to be thrown out, or for a re-trail. A judge has since refused and his conviction is upheld. I believe he will be sentenced in late 07 or early 08.
GOP Representative Vic Kohring, who in the Anchorage Daily News called his case "David vs. Goliath" is scheduled to face trial later this month.
A 4th Republican, Alaska Legislator Bruce Weyrauch is scheduled to stand trial later this year.
All of this stems from incidents in the spring of 2007 where an Alaska business leader was caught on tape by the FBI bribing each of these politicians over a tax rate on the oil industry known as the PPT.
The Businessman, Bruce Allen, CEO of a company formerly known as VECO has plead guilty himself, and has testified against the first two convicted lawmakers. While on the witness stand, he also implicated two other state senators including Ben Stevens. Son of none other than Sen. Ted Stevens
(R-AK). Neither Stevens' have been charged as of today, nor has John Cowdery the other law maker implicated on the witness stand. This has become huge news in Alaska and doesnt appear to be going away.

Back