Another One Bites The Dust ... Another Dem Goes Down

GBFan

The mayor of Charlotte, N.C. -- the state's largest city and the site of the 2012 Democratic National Convention -- resigned Wednesday hours after he was charged with federal public corruption and accused of taking bribes in an FBI sting.

City spokesman Keith Richardson said Mayor Patrick Cannon submitted his resignation letter Wednesday to the city manager and attorney.

The 47-year-old Cannon is accused of accepting more than $48,000 in bribes from undercover FBI agents posing as businessmen who wanted to do work with Charlotte.

A criminal complaint from the U.S. Attorney says the Democrat, who has been mayor for six months, accepted cash, airline tickets, a hotel room and the use of a luxury apartment as bribes and solicited more than $1 million more.

During the last encounter, according to the U.S. attorney's office, he accepted $20,000 in cash.

Cannon says in the letter that the pending charges will create too much of a distraction for the business of the city to go forward

According to the U.S. attorney's office, the FBI first learned that he may have been involved in illegal activities years ago and started an investigation in 2010.

During the course of that probe, the mayor allegedly accepted bribes from undercover FBI agents on five separate occasions, in exchange for access to city officials responsible for planning, zoning and permitting.

If convicted on all the charges, he faces 20 years in prison and more than $1 million in fines.

Cannon was elected mayor in November, replacing Anthony Foxx. Foxx was named Transportation Secretary by President Obama.

Werbung:
Rhode Island House Speaker

Rhode Island Speaker of the House Gordon Fox resigned his speakership and announced that he would not seek re-election after FBI agents, along with agents from the IRS, the U.S. attorney’s office, and state police, raided both his Providence, R.I. office and home Friday.

Fox did not disclose what the FBI was looking for. The search warrants and affidavits that allowed for the raid have been sealed by a court.

Fox was elected to the state legislature in 1992 and was elected speaker in 2010.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/27/4...by-the-fbi-in-quick-succession/#ixzz2xCsHpJEK

Werbung:
The FBI raided Democratic New York Assemblyman William Scarborough’s Albany office Wednesday morning and also took papers from his office in Jamaica, Queens. The feds confronted him at 5:45 a.m. in a hotel room, where they seized his smartphone. FBI investigators asked Scarborough about per diem reimbursements received by state lawmakers.

“I’m innocent, but I understand the reality,” Scarborough told reporters at the state capitol Wednesday. “I don’t know what’s going to go on. I am going to talk to a lawyer, this is just stunning to me.”

Scarborough was first elected to the Assembly from a primarily Queens County district in 1994.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/27/4...by-the-fbi-in-quick-succession/#ixzz2xCsTu8A8

Back