Are we living in the Biblical End times?

Have you noticed how coarse our culture has gotten, over the past 30 or so years?

Perhaps to reflect a more honest view of how "course" life is?

1. You now hear profanity and vulgarity in places you never did before.

Yeah, except here, where it's censored. Does that make you feel better?

2. Pregnancy out of marriage is the norm in Hollywood and Sports, rather than the exception. What is most troubling is the lack of public outrage. Oprah celebrates behavior like this rather than condemns it.

Oprah celebrates the creation of life. For a pro-life person you seem awfully quick to condemn it.

3. Tattoos used to signify crudity and roughness. Now they are "cool".

Once upon a time, Jesus was cool, too.

4. You hear obnoxious music blasted at 100db from cars in traffic.

Actually, I think that's a problem, but for public safety reasons.

5. Rap music lyrics use the same coarse language and degrading references to women. Again, where is the public outrage?

I guess there are just a lot of people who identify with that kind of thing. The appearance of legitimacy is a major factor in attracting to people to something. Must get under your skin that 50 Cent seems more legit to modern audiences than Jesus does.

6. Television is a toilet. There is no such thing as quality writing. Only shock, sex and phoniness (check out Friday Night Smackdown for a mega dose of all of the above).

I don't really watch a whole lot of television (I don't even have one at present). Most of the shows that I used to watch relied more on cleverness than depth, which is entertaining if not enlightening.

Just for the fun of it, what would you cite as an example of actual "quality writing"?

Werbung:
Since I have a religious belief, my values are different from most of you God deniers.

1. As to births out of wedlock: The most successful institution in human history is the nuclear family. The nuclear family has existed longer than any other human institution and things don’t last unless they work. The explosion of births out of wedlock is responsible for many woman and children living in poverty and violence and the breakup of the nuclear family. Acceptance of this as normal and not shameful is unspoken approval and guarantees this practice will continue at it's current high rates. Shame used to be used as a motivator. But shame is no longer PC.

2. As to public pronouncements of profanity and vulgarity: This reflects the way certain people think, their lack of vocabulary and their lack of care for strangers. Is it a coincidence that profanity and vulgar language are glorified in movies and music? The language we now hear is partly the result of pop culture glorification and decent speaking people not reprimanding publicly.

3. Rap and other music lyrics: Again, this is a pop culture phenomenon and represents a lowering of standards, reducing everything to the dollar bill. If it sells, do it. Human values take a back seat to CD sales.

4. On TV as a toilet: This has changed slowly over the years and changed for the worse. At least most TV shows used to be safe for young kids. Now we need parental controls and V chips. I agree that turning off the tube is somewhat effective at lessening the influence of TV, but you can't control what your kids see at their friends. The "family hour" is inane game shows and then the excrement programming begins.

5. On quality writing: Some examples of carefully crafted shows with engaging plots and entertaining characters were Seinfeld, The Twilight Zone, Saint Elsewhere, MASH. Today jiggle and innuendo are the selling points instead of originality and talent.

So how does all this relate to End Times? What does the Bible say?:

1. Men will be lovers of self, rebellious to parents, boastful, lovers of money. Any argument that all these conditions exist today?

2. That Israel will exist as a sovereign nation. Happened in 1948. First time the Jews have ruled themselves for 2,500 years.

3. That a one world government will eventually govern most of the world with an iron hand. The wheels are already turning this way. (The UN, the EU, the NAU and SPP).

4. There will be wars and rumors (threats) of wars.

5. Volcanic and seismic activity will increase. Seismic activity has been on the increase since about 1900. "http://www.michaelmandeville.com/polarmotion/spinaxis/vortex_correlations2.htm." The first 2 charts tell this story. This ihas been a long term trend, with no end in site.

6. There will be famines and draughts. Ditto - increasing. "http://www.tomorrowsworld.org/cgi-bin/tw/tw-mag.cgi?category=Magazine49"

Any one of these prophecies, by themselves are hardly evidence of anything. But when you take all these together, the hadwriting on the wall says "End Times they is a comin".

More prophesies compared to current world conditions to follow.

Since I have a religious belief, my values are different from most of you God deniers.

Are you a Fundie?

What's a "God denier"?

1. As to births out of wedlock: The most successful institution in human history is the nuclear family. The nuclear family has existed longer than any other human institution and things don’t last unless they work.

Wrong. The so-called "nuclear family" is a modern construct. The definition of "family" has changed throughout history depending on the culture and times. In some cultures family is a man with multiple wives and their children; or a man, wife, their children and all his relatives in a large extended family. These are structures that have been in existence for a milliniums and still are today. "Family" - is probably the most successful human institution, but that is not the same as "nuclear family".

The explosion of births out of wedlock is responsible for many woman and children living in poverty and violence and the breakup of the nuclear family.

Again, you are divorced from reality here. Out of wedlock births among teens is nothing new exactly - though it is definately a big social problem. However - women and children living in poverty and violence is most definately not new nor necessarily related to out of wedlock births.

Acceptance of this as normal and not shameful is unspoken approval and guarantees this practice will continue at it's current high rates. Shame used to be used as a motivator. But shame is no longer PC.

Sure go back to shame (and while your at it stoning) regardless of the circumstances. How civilized. I wonder why the onus was always on the woman and not the man who made her pregnant out of wedlock?

2. As to public pronouncements of profanity and vulgarity: This reflects the way certain people think, their lack of vocabulary and their lack of care for strangers. Is it a coincidence that profanity and vulgar language are glorified in movies and music? The language we now hear is partly the result of pop culture glorification and decent speaking people not reprimanding publicly.

I actually agree with you here though I don't know what the solution is.

3. Rap and other music lyrics: Again, this is a pop culture phenomenon and represents a lowering of standards, reducing everything to the dollar bill. If it sells, do it. Human values take a back seat to CD sales.

Yup.

4. On TV as a toilet: This has changed slowly over the years and changed for the worse. At least most TV shows used to be safe for young kids. Now we need parental controls and V chips. I agree that turning off the tube is somewhat effective at lessening the influence of TV, but you can't control what your kids see at their friends. The "family hour" is inane game shows and then the excrement programming begins.

I rarely watch TV except for PBS.

5. On quality writing: Some examples of carefully crafted shows with engaging plots and entertaining characters were Seinfeld, The Twilight Zone, Saint Elsewhere, MASH. Today jiggle and innuendo are the selling points instead of originality and talent.

Wow. I agree with you here also.

So how does all this relate to End Times? What does the Bible say?:

1. Men will be lovers of self, rebellious to parents, boastful, lovers of money. Any argument that all these conditions exist today?

They exist today but - they've existed many times before in history.

2. That Israel will exist as a sovereign nation. Happened in 1948. First time the Jews have ruled themselves for 2,500 years.

3. That a one world government will eventually govern most of the world with an iron hand. The wheels are already turning this way. (The UN, the EU, the NAU and SPP).

One-world governments have existed before. The definition of world was not always the whole earth. At one time it was Mesopatania, another Europe and Asia before Columbus...other cultures have achieved governance (like Rome) of what they thought was the "world". The world will change again when we discover other planets and star systems.

4. There will be wars and rumors (threats) of wars.

Again - this has existed for ages. There is actually a lot less war then there was in other eras.

5. Volcanic and seismic activity will increase. Seismic activity has been on the increase since about 1900. "http://www.michaelmandeville.com/polarmotion/spinaxis/vortex_correlations2.htm." The first 2 charts tell this story. This ihas been a long term trend, with no end in site.

Has seismic activity been on the increase or is it our ability to detect it and record it?

6. There will be famines and draughts. Ditto - increasing. "http://www.tomorrowsworld.org/cgi-bin/tw/tw-mag.cgi?category=Magazine49"

They've been increasing and decreasing for ages - but our population is going up, global warming is having an effect - it may increase more.

Any one of these prophecies, by themselves are hardly evidence of anything. But when you take all these together, the hadwriting on the wall says "End Times they is a comin".

More prophesies compared to current world conditions to follow.

The handwriting says these things have been going on for a long time - sometimes increasing, sometimes decreasing.

Castle, I dont see us nearly as close to an end game than we were throughout the cold war. A terrorist group having a nuke, getting it to the US and detonating it undetected is really is a long shot. A really long shot. Despite what the Bush administration would have us believe.
Quite frankly, I'm not so sure that the Bush administration knows what it wants us to believe at this point. Having said that, I have little interest in what any administration wants me to believe outside the realm of common sense.

As for a comparison between the threat level during the cold war and now.....What do you think convinced Khrushchev to back off of Cuba? There was no checkmate to be had with an American President that was willing to play out the end game scenario. With both sides in control of a formidable nuclear arsenal, the conclusion was obvious. The object was to win and by the classic definition of victory this was simply not going to happen.

Looking at just a few of the many quotes from Ahmadinejad I don't see this prerequisite for victory. Islamic extremists are willing to make sacrifices that were simply unacceptable during the cold war. The terms of victory do not include their own survival as has been the case with former adversaries. Our own destruction takes precedence. In my opinion, this raises the threat level exponentially.

Why is it such a long shot to consider a nuclear detonation in the US? The borders, both northern and southern, being as porous as they are makes the first stage easy. One does not need a missile with multiple warheads and an 18 wheeler to attempt a US border penetration. Hell, assembly of a small device can be accomplished within our borders. With financial and logistical support from say......Iran, why is this so hard to consider?

I'm remembering a quote from the movie - the peacemaker
"I'm not afraid of the man who wants ten nuclear weapons, Colonel. I'm terrified of the man who only wants one."

-Castle

Terrorists having a nuke has always been a possibility. I find it interesting, the ones who take the stance on foreign relations who claim they want to protect us from such threats have caused the biggest provocation of it.

Terrorists having a nuke has always been a possibility. I find it interesting, the ones who take the stance on foreign relations who claim they want to protect us from such threats have caused the biggest provocation of it.

Great comment mate, far too true.

bunz

6. Television is a toilet. There is no such thing as quality writing. Only shock, sex and phoniness (check out Friday Night Smackdown for a mega dose of all of the above).

endisnighwrasslin.jpg

Terrorists having a nuke has always been a possibility.
Yes it has, albeit a remote one considering the nuclear club has been a rather exclusive one until recently. Not true now.

I find it interesting, the ones who take the stance on foreign relations who claim they want to protect us from such threats have caused the biggest provocation of it.
Yes and I find it even more interesting that those who label that protection as provocative and question the intent are the first in line for torches at the mob store when that protection fails in 9/11 fashion. Its either provocation or complacency. I guess its just a matter of which way the political stench is blowing at the moment.

-Castle

LOL, I am begining to realize how much out of the loop on stuff I am when it comes to pop culture.

I don't watch wrestling, never have. Except for WWF superfriends or whatever it was, the cartoon, which was actually a cool lil show, and not just oily men in tights. I just found that pic amusing and...sorta on topic, so I added the text, and posted it.

Werbung:
It was a good one. With where I live, we have a fair amount of access to the goings on of the world, but barely get to see or experience it with our own eyes. It could probably be equated to being on the space station. Isolation but access. I prefer it that way.

Back