Campaign Financing - A Discussion

Well if someone is looking for a campaign to give them an unbiased take on something, they are an idiot. ;)
Well the whole idea of parties and pols is bias. They hope to present a bias in line with that of the voter. But that starts with a platform and said platform is rarely the object of ads. Ergo not informed. Once upon a time people discussed these platforms at length. Crazy huh ?

Werbung:
Well the whole idea of parties and pols is bias. They hope to present a bias in line with that of the voter. But that starts with a platform and said platform is rarely the object of ads. Ergo not informed. Once upon a time people discussed these platforms at length. Crazy huh ?

People still discuss the platform at length - go to any Party convention, be it local, state, or national and you can be involved in it - or try to change it.

And to some extent, let's face it - all this talk about an "informed" voter. A lot of people generally just use that to mean someone who agrees with them, and those that do not are "low information" voters.

People still discuss the platform at length - go to any Party convention, be it local, state, or national and you can be involved in it - or try to change it.

And to some extent, let's face it - all this talk about an "informed" voter. A lot of people generally just use that to mean someone who agrees with them, and those that do not are "low information" voters.
Yes wonks still do but I am ancient enough to remember regular people doing it. Agree with the last part. Call me crazy but I would love to see people give a damn about it again.

Yes, there is a big differece. Which only highlights the pointkess accusation of being a low infirmation voter. There is no intent ti inform only influence.

Apples ... oranges. Inform ... influence.

Low information voters exist ... not because the information isn't there, but rather, because the school system (?) has created a class of people incapable of understanding intelligent discussion of the issues, and thus, a whole segment of who won't become involved in the political process.

I'm not sure why you would expect one side or the other to 'inform' ... their job is to put their position out there, and for the voter to look at both viewpoints and make a decision as to which best reflects THEIR position.

However, given the low education standards, people have substituted 'what's in it for me' for 'what's best for the country'.

Werbung:
However, given the low education standards, people have substituted 'what's in it for me' for 'what's best for the country'.

I think this started way back with FDR. Giving people stuff was a hit, especially coming out of two wars and a terrible depression.

It's only gone downhill since. Simple safety nets to stave off starvation have blossomed into cradle to grave guarantees, including Obamaphones and internet access.

But one day it's all going to come to a screeching halt. We can't continue to print 85 billion a month in phony money forever, before we turn into Zimbabwe.

Back