Can you support out troops and still be against the war?

Can you support out troops and still be against the war?

• Yes

Votes: 76 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 27.9%

• Total voters
1. Zarqawi was operating in conjunction with Ansar al-Islam which committed acts of terrorism AGAINST Saddam's regime and was based in the Kurdish territories.

This is false. Ansar al-Islam, the al Qaeda cell formed in June 2001 that operated out of northern Iraq before the war, as you noted, was attacking Kurdish enemies of Saddam, not working with them.

2. Abu Nidal is believed to have been assassinated by Saddam's regime in August of 2002.

I was referring to the Abu Nidal extremist group.

3. Saddam's regime had no ties to al-Zawahiri.

Ayman al-Zawahiri met with Iraqi intelligence in Baghdad in 1992 and 1998. More disturbing is that the Iraqi regime paid Zawahiri $300,000 in 1998, around the time his Islamic Jihad was merging with al Qaeda.

And these aren't the only links, there are plenty others. Salman Pak, south of Baghdad where at least some of the 9/11 hijackers trained with their Boeing 707.

There's also Hussein's documented contact with Abu Sayyaf in the Phillipines, before and after the Zamboanga City bombing.

It is also confirmed that Mohammed Atta, the lead September 11 hijacker, met with Ahmed Khalil Ibrahim al-Ani, an Iraqi intelligence officer working at the Iraqi embassy, in Prague five months before the hijacking.

Not to mention that there is also some evidence linking Saddam and bin Laden (Farouk Hijazi)...

Werbung:
This is false. Ansar al-Islam, the al Qaeda cell formed in June 2001 that operated out of northern Iraq before the war, as you noted, was attacking Kurdish enemies of Saddam, not working with them.

That is false and not what I noted. Ansar al-Islam formed in December of 2001 as a merger of Jund al-Islam and the Islamic Movement of Kurdistan. It was based in the Kurdish territories, targeted Saddam's regime, and repeatedly called for his deposition.

I was referring to the Abu Nidal extremist group.

The ANO has never killed an American and Saddam's regime assassinated Abu Nidal so your point is moot.

Ayman al-Zawahiri met with Iraqi intelligence in Baghdad in 1992 and 1998.

So? As has been repeatedly pointed out, nothing came from it.

More disturbing is that the Iraqi regime paid Zawahiri $300,000 in 1998, around the time his Islamic Jihad was merging with al Qaeda.

I've never seen any evidence of this.

Salman Pak, south of Baghdad where at least some of the 9/11 hijackers trained with their Boeing 707.

An allegation which has never been proven.

It is also confirmed that Mohammed Atta, the lead September 11 hijacker, met with Ahmed Khalil Ibrahim al-Ani, an Iraqi intelligence officer working at the Iraqi embassy, in Prague five months before the hijacking.

Proven to be a myth YEARS ago.

Not to mention that there is also some evidence linking Saddam and bin Laden (Farouk Hijazi)...

Hogwash.

there are startling Political similarities between Nam and Iraq but thats where it ends your comments about how many tours someone served show your total ignorance of what is the reality of war

there is absolutly NO COMPARISON between The fighting in the Jungles and rice paddies and places like Hue and what is occuring in Iraq this also portrays your ignorance in an unbecoming manner

in short you really dont know what the f^ck you are talking about.............there happens to be a large number of nam vets with as many as 3 and four tours in country..........your ignorance is appalling

Well Mr Know it all ass...War is War..Damn the Political similanties.
You the one who don't know **** about the Viet Nam war besides
what you read or seen on the comedy channel. First I know that
you first off don't know the term of Tour of Duty.

Secondly, I see why most of these posters talk about your dumb
ass, and that's because you think you know everything and know
nothing. The many months that I have been on this site. I (NOW)
see why people dog your dumb ass.

In the future if your facts isn't together don't post your non-sense
bull**** to me, and I shall do likewise unto you Dork.

OPGhostdog, I'm going to have to give you a warning for the two personal attacks on Roker, here and in the tribute thread. I don't want this discussion degenerating into a slagging match, and the Roker Palerider thread doesn't need to turn quite so aggressive.

Hope you understand,

Jack.

Well Mr Know it all ass...War is War..Damn the Political similanties.
You the one who don't know **** about the Viet Nam war besides
what you read or seen on the comedy channel. First I know that
you first off don't know the term of Tour of Duty.

Secondly, I see why most of these posters talk about your dumb
ass, and that's because you think you know everything and know
nothing. The many months that I have been on this site. I (NOW)
see why people dog your dumb ass.

In the future if your facts isn't together don't post your non-sense
bull**** to me, and I shall do likewise unto you Dork.
Nice

well first of all i'm entirely aware, of the tour of duty, and what it encompasses........I also happen to know alot, lot more about the fetid Jungles, of Nam that you seem to think. However i have no need to explain myself to the likes of yourself. and so i won't

the statement was made that you thought that the guys in Nam didn't do more than a single tour of duty?......thats just plain Incorrect....... there were MANY who did several in country tours ......

your pretty angry aren't you? I seem to find that alot in todays youth? interesting by-product, of corporate controlled America i suppose?

Patriots are always scorned in the beginning ......
i understand and accept this

I'd like to know your views on this. It seems there is percentage of Americans who think you can not be against the war and still support the troops?

Does this mean you cant be against what they're fighting for and at the same time hope they all make it home safely?

Imagine a sporting event. There are two teams. All of the fans sit on the sidelines and boo loudly. They say oh, we support the players, we simply hate the game. Its ridiculous, and the booing obviously has a negative impact on those that are the ones playing the game.

You can sit there and say I support the troops but not the war, but your very action of not supporting the war undermines what the troops are doing. I have no problem with people who do not support the war, but do not pretend that you are doing some big thing by pretending to support the troops.

You can sit there and say I support the troops but not the war, but your very action of not supporting the war undermines what the troops are doing. I have no problem with people who do not support the war, but do not pretend that you are doing some big thing by pretending to support the troops.

That's just the old right wing argument that being against the war undermines the troops. Actually, being against the war helps the troops, as the more people against the war, the faster they'll come home.

Actually, being against the war helps the troops, as the more people against the war, the faster they'll come home.

What if they don't want your help? What if what they want most is to be allowed to do their jobs? Most of the people in the military I know are of the opinion that these "We'll help you by bringing you home!" things are asinine. If you're going to force your brand of "help" on them...how are you any better than Bush, trying to force democracy on Iraq?

If you want to take them out of Iraq for other reasons, okay, that's legit - as soldiers of the United States of America they've agreed to be the living instruments of our country and they'll do what the country tells them to do. But don't start talking about how we need to get out of Iraq "for the troops" - it's hypocritical.

That's just the old right wing argument that being against the war undermines the troops. Actually, being against the war helps the troops, as the more people against the war, the faster they'll come home.

I suppose you think that those who spit on US troops coming home from Vietnam and called them "baby killers" and avidly against the war were really troop supporters?

It doesnt matter how many people are against the war at this point, Bush is not going to pull out anyone, he had made that clear.

Also, a large portion of the troops actually want to be in Iraq, and want to finish the job that was started, so how does it support them and their ideas to demand for their return home? It undermines what they are thinking, and does not in any way support them. If you support the troops you should support what the majority of them want, which is to finish the job that was started and make the sacrifice of the other soldiers not in vain. So how does demanding that they return home support what a portion of the troops even want?

I suppose you think that those who spit on US troops coming home from Vietnam and called them "baby killers" and avidly against the war were really troop supporters?

Considering what happened at My Lai and other places, some of the troops obviously were baby killers. As for being spit on, that's primarily a right wing myth, fostered by conservative outlets like Fox News.

Considering what happened at My Lai and other places, some of the troops obviously were baby killers. As for being spit on, that's primarily a right wing myth, fostered by conservative outlets like Fox News.

Of course, its all a myth, seeing as how it happened to people I know. Must be a Fox conspiracy.

There will always be bad seeds in the bunch, but that does not make all soldiers evil, no one bothered to make that distinction however. You also avoided the other question I posed.

There will always be bad seeds in the bunch, but that does not make all soldiers evil, no one bothered to make that distinction however. You also avoided the other question I posed.

Bad seeds? same goes for anti war protesters,not all of them are evil either. As for the soldiers in Iraq wanting to finish the job, if that's the case I don't support them.

Bad seeds? same goes for anti war protesters,not all of them are evil either. As for the soldiers in Iraq wanting to finish the job, if that's the case I don't support them.

Well thats fine, I accept that, just know that you do not support the majority of the troops then.

Werbung:
Of course a person can be against the war and still support the troops. I can't believe a few of the opinions shared in this thread. :eek: :mad:

Two of my friends lost their sons in Iraq - one about a year ago (October 17) and the other, just the other day. I live in a military town and I don't know of many *military families* that support the ongoing debacle that is the WoT. Is that to say they don't support their LOVED ONES serving?

Hell no. To say otherwise is insultive and ignorant.

Back