CIA plot to kill Castro detailed

steveox

HAVANA - The CIA recruited a former FBI agent to approach two of America's most-wanted mobsters and gave them poison pills meant for Fidel Castro during his first year in power, according to newly declassified papers released Tuesday.

Contained amid hundreds of pages of CIA internal reports collectively known as "the family jewels," the official confirmation of the 1960 plot against Castro was certain to be welcomed by communist authorities as more proof of their longstanding claims that the United States wants Castro dead.

Communist officials say there have been more than 600 documented attempts to kill Castro over the decades. Now 80, Castro has not been seen in public since handing power to his younger brother Raul while recovering from intestinal surgery last July. But in a letter published on Monday, the elder Castro claimed without providing details that President Bush had "authorized and ordered" his killing.

And while Cuban government press officials didn't return a call seeking reaction Tuesday, the release of the newly declassified CIA documents had already been noted in state media.

"Upon the orders of the White House, the Central Intelligence Agency tried to assassinate President Fidel Castro and other former personalities and leaders," the Communist Party newspaper Granma said Saturday. "What was already presumed and denounced will be corroborated."

Other aborted U.S. attempts to kill Castro, who rose to power in January 1959 in a revolution that ousted dictator Fulgencio Batista, have been noted in other declassified documents.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070627/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/cuba_cia_castro_plot;_ylt=Atsgtszvh60a4H_dBIIYfTCs0NUE

Just to think of it shoulnt they focus on assassinating Hugo Chavez.Hes more of a threat than castro is now.Castro is gonna die as an old man soon.Let Nature take its course.But Hugo Chavez is a threat to World economy.So the CIA should assassinate Hugo Chavez then Castro.

Werbung:
HAVANA - The CIA recruited a former FBI agent to approach two of America's most-wanted mobsters and gave them poison pills meant for Fidel Castro during his first year in power, according to newly declassified papers released Tuesday.

Contained amid hundreds of pages of CIA internal reports collectively known as "the family jewels," the official confirmation of the 1960 plot against Castro was certain to be welcomed by communist authorities as more proof of their longstanding claims that the United States wants Castro dead.

Communist officials say there have been more than 600 documented attempts to kill Castro over the decades. Now 80, Castro has not been seen in public since handing power to his younger brother Raul while recovering from intestinal surgery last July. But in a letter published on Monday, the elder Castro claimed without providing details that President Bush had "authorized and ordered" his killing.

And while Cuban government press officials didn't return a call seeking reaction Tuesday, the release of the newly declassified CIA documents had already been noted in state media.

"Upon the orders of the White House, the Central Intelligence Agency tried to assassinate President Fidel Castro and other former personalities and leaders," the Communist Party newspaper Granma said Saturday. "What was already presumed and denounced will be corroborated."

Other aborted U.S. attempts to kill Castro, who rose to power in January 1959 in a revolution that ousted dictator Fulgencio Batista, have been noted in other declassified documents.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070627/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/cuba_cia_castro_plot;_ylt=Atsgtszvh60a4H_dBIIYfTCs0NUE

Just to think of it shoulnt they focus on assassinating Hugo Chavez.Hes more of a threat than castro is now.Castro is gonna die as an old man soon.Let Nature take its course.But Hugo Chavez is a threat to World economy.So the CIA should assassinate Hugo Chavez then Castro.

Good thinking. Let's just kill who ever doesn't agree with us. The perception that so many Americans are prone to this kind of thoughtless arrogance is the primary reason that most of the world hates us.

Good thinking. Let's just kill who ever doesn't agree with us. The perception that so many Americans are prone to this kind of thoughtless arrogance is the primary reason that most of the world hates us.

You're right, let's make critical national security decisions based on how France will view our actions.

You're right, let's make critical national security decisions based on how France will view our actions.

Based on your logic I guess politicians can justify what ever they want. Just as long as it's for "national security" reasons. Because we know we can always trust them to do the right thing.

Based on your logic I guess politicians can justify what ever they want. Just as long as it's for "national security" reasons. Because we know we can always trust them to do the right thing.

Of course not. There is a vast criteria that politicians should have to meet in order to take a specific action. International opinion should not be part of it.

No, and here's why: Chavez may be a more of a threat than Castro now, but he is not more of a threat now than Castro was in the 1960's.

(For the record, to say that Chavez is more of a threat than Castro is a bit like saying that a proton is larger than an electron -- true in relative terms, nonsense in absolute ones. Which is why we need not assassinate either now).

Good thinking. Let's just kill who ever doesn't agree with us.

Our beef with Castro was not merely that he didn't agree with us, though.

The United States should have never had a beef with
Castro. This is another example of the USA gov't seem
to enjoy going all over the global starting Chit.

One day the tables will turn, and I hope that it will
never happen in my life time. Look at facts today, and
show me where in the world we're not fighting someone?

We are so damn busy fighting other countries until we
can't see the hardship in our own backyard. We are
hated by so many countries, and yet we are bringing
outsiders in by the boat loads.

Hey folks, I just want to point out that the in the US code, there it is against the law for the US government to sponsor any sort of political assisination of a foreign leader outside of a war. The reason behind this, is that if we do that it opens the US for reciprocity of murder of our political officials. We can suggest it all day long, but it is ultimately against our own law, and a good law in my book.
Like him or not, Hugo Chavez is a democratically elected leader of another soverign government.
USMC, while I dont think we should back away because we dont have the support of country A. B. or C. We need to engage in dialogue with our allies, and address thier concerns on any number of issues. Because when we stop doing that, our allies will dissapear, and without our allies we are nothing.
It bothers me when our President tells France and Germany to shove it, over the Iraq issue, we will go it alone. But then we wont talk with NKorea without the Chinese there. That is a total disregard for our historical allies and gives underhanded power to the Chinese who are far from our friends.

The United States should have never had a beef with
Castro. This is another example of the USA gov't seem
to enjoy going all over the global starting Chit.

We didn't really start that "chit." It was the Soviets who parked nukes there and pointed 'em at us, 90 miles from our shores, and Castro who let him.

Bunz, as I recall, France and Germany told the U.S. to shove it and go it alone. (Might be wrong there).

I have yet to see any evidence that we are nothing without our allies (who are not behaving in a very alliance-y fashion, anyway; their leaders keep ramrodding their people into the EU, the stated purpose of which is to rival the US). We're subsidizing their national defense, after all.

Of course not. There is a vast criteria that politicians should have to meet in order to take a specific action. International opinion should not be part of it.

Unfortunately, since you seem a disciple of the military, it's nearly impossible to take anything you say seriously. If only the military and its adhereants would realize that their percieved duty to the commander-in-chief renders any opinions they may utter tainted by default and, as such, practically worthless.

Unfortunately, since you seem a disciple of the military, it's nearly impossible to take anything you say seriously. If only the military and its adhereants would realize that their percieved duty to the commander-in-chief renders any opinions they may utter tainted by default and, as such, practically worthless.

Why? Regarding the war in Iraq, I am way more informed than you ever could be.

And on ever other issue, there is no perceived "duty" to the CinC. In fact, I have been very critical of the President and Republicans on numerous issues -- Dubai ports deal, immigration, spending,..

This is really nothing but a cheap attempt to discredit anything I say without actually having to use your head and debate. What you should really consider is removing any emotion from your thinking and then analyze your philosophy and today's political issues.

Why? Regarding the war in Iraq, I am way more informed than you ever could be.

And on ever other issue, there is no perceived "duty" to the CinC. In fact, I have been very critical of the President and Republicans on numerous issues -- Dubai ports deal, immigration, spending,..

This is really nothing but a cheap attempt to discredit anything I say without actually having to use your head and debate. What you should really consider is removing any emotion from your thinking and then analyze your philosophy and today's political issues.
You invested much more time in responding to that post than it deserved!
I'm still attempting to get past rmbarron's comment stating that those who have served have worthless opinions. Worthless opinions?!! As opposed to who?? rmbarron's opinions??! He has nothing but my pity.

-Castle

You invested much more time in responding to that post than it deserved!

You're probably right.

I'm still attempting to get past rmbarron's comment stating that those who have served have worthless opinions. Worthless opinions?!! As opposed to who?? rmbarron's opinions??! He has nothing but my pity.

-Castle

I know, right.

Werbung:
Who is the most hated nation on this Planet:D the question is now:D

First of all, could you do me a favor and relax with the irritating green smilies? Secondly, in all honesty, I don't care if I serve the most hated nation on the planet.

People always hate the best, the biggest, the richest without any merit. No one has sacrificed more for the freedom and security of complete strangers than the American solider and no country has spent more trying to bring about this liberty than the U.S.

Now, that's not to say that the U.S. hasn't taken certain actions to deserve some of it, but when it's all said and done, if I am safe, free, and am able to keep the vast majority of the money that I earn, then I don't give two ****s what some Frenchman or German thinks about me or my country.

Back