Clinton's Accomplishments???

Palerider,
You know I am always up for discussion. I do just want to point out that you have asked by my loose count the question probably at least a dozen times. People have offered up plenty of legislation and policies that were passed by Bill Clinton.
What did he do to accomplish this? He signed them and made them into law. Is that enough to say he did something? Regardless of where the law came from, GOP or Dems, when the President signs something into law he assumes any applicable blame or praise based on the action of putting thier signature to it. This is universal, Bill Clinton to Fred Flintstone.

Werbung:
Palerider,
You know I am always up for discussion. I do just want to point out that you have asked by my loose count the question probably at least a dozen times. People have offered up plenty of legislation and policies that were passed by Bill Clinton.
What did he do to accomplish this? He signed them and made them into law. Is that enough to say he did something? Regardless of where the law came from, GOP or Dems, when the President signs something into law he assumes any applicable blame or praise based on the action of putting thier signature to it. This is universal, Bill Clinton to Fred Flintstone.

What people have offered up is the 93 budget bill as the legislation, crafted by clinton, by which he "accomplished" the things he is given credit for. Well, that bill failed to achieve its stated goals. If that budged is how he achieved the good economy, then the good economy was in spite of clinton and not because of him.

And as we all know, after he lost the house and senate, it didn't matter a whit whether he signed a bill or vetoed it, it was going to become law anyway because there were enough votes to override any veto as evidenced by clinton's grudging signature on the balanced budget amendement accompanied by his dire warnings of starvation in the streets.

And I perfectly understand that the president gets credit for good or bad during his term. The purpose of this exercise has been to get popeye and top gun to realize that clinton didn't, in fact, "handle" the economy but instead was just there and as a result, got credit for it and so long as clinton seems to be getting credit for failed policy, greenspan has jumped on the bandwagon to grab some credit for a good economy also, in spite of the fact that the advice he gave to clinton was bad advice and the budget failed to achieve its stated goals and continued to be strong in spite of the two of them rather than because of anything they did. They 9popeye and top gun)seem to have heroic image of clinton with his sleeves rolled up (rather than with his pants around his ankles) working on creating a good economy, or reducing the number of teen pregnancies or any of the other "achievements" they give him credit for. People who believe such fanciful garbage should be led away from it if it hasn't seeped too deeply into their pores. They should be brought to see the reality rather than the fantasy which, by the way, you apparently do.

Maybe - as originally presented - it was a bad bill.

Here is an article on it:

SENATE OKS PLAN THAT CLINTON VOWED TO VETO GOP LEADERS ASK THE PRESIDENT TO PASS THE BILL, TO RETAIN DISASTER RELIEF FUNDS.

The Senate put the Republican-controlled Congress on a collision course with the White House over spending priorities Thursday, passing the first bill that President Clinton has vowed to veto: a measure that slashes $16.4 billion from funds already appropriated.

But because the bill also contains more than $6 billion in disaster-assistance relief for California, Oklahoma and other states, Republican leaders urged the president to back down from his threat even as they conceded that they lacked the votes for an override.

Noting that the so-called rescission bill would cut the budget deficit by more than $9 billion, House Speaker Newt Gingrich, R-Ga., said it would be ``a great disservice to this country'' and ``a major, major mistake'' for the president to veto this ``first step toward a balanced budget.''

Appearing at a rare, joint Capitol Hill news conference, Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole, R-Kan., added: ``I would strongly urge the president to sign it.''

But their pleas fell on deaf ears at the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue.

Just minutes before the Senate passed the measure, Clinton told reporters in the White House Rose Garden that he would veto the bill ``if it passes in this form.''

The president's chief objection to the measure is that it cuts too deeply into programs on education, housing, airport improvement, job training and the environment - but too little into wasteful ``pork'' construction projects.

``I am for making a down payment on the deficit reduction in this rescission bill,'' Clinton said. ``I certainly want to get the money out to Oklahoma City, to finish our obligations in the California earthquake, to deal with the floods in the South.''

The bill also contains $250 million for anti-terrorism efforts in the wake of the Oklahoma City bombing as well as $275 million in debt relief for Jordan, both expenditures also favored by Clinton.

The White House-Congress standoff underscores the difficulties ahead in reducing the deficit, a goal both parties embrace.

After he lost the house and senate, the bills he vetoed were brought out in their original form to be made law. Had the economic disaster that clinton predicted come about, the press would have made great hay out of the fact that clinton had already vetoed the bill twice but since it didn't, they made great hay of giving him credit for is genius.

Clinton made it a policy to pay down the deficit - that was a legacy of prior administrations.

And as was the case with prior administrations, it never came to pass. There were projected paydowns, but none ever acctually occured.

And as we all know, after he lost the house and senate, it didn't matter a whit whether he signed a bill or vetoed it, it was going to become law anyway because there were enough votes to override any veto as evidenced by clinton's grudging signature on the balanced budget amendement accompanied by his dire warnings of starvation in the streets.
This isnt true, Clinton on at least one occassion was sent a bill that allowed for ANWR drilling and he vetoed it without override. At no time during the Clinton administration was there enough GOP members to override a Clinton veto with a 2/3 majority.

This isnt true, Clinton on at least one occassion was sent a bill that allowed for ANWR drilling and he vetoed it without override. At no time during the Clinton administration was there enough GOP members to override a Clinton veto with a 2/3 majority.

Perhaps in raw R v D numbers, but in numbers combined with clinton's "troubles" few democrats were willing to stick their necks out too far in support of him. ANWR is perhaps among the few that they were.

So we now have a total consensus.

President Bill Clinton was a kick ass President and from an intellectual... foreign policy... and economic standpoint George Bush or any other Republican President couldn't carry his jock strap!

I'm glad we all finally agree on something and go along with Republican and world renowned economic expert Alan Greenspan. Clinton was the best.

I think there's a very good chance our nation will get another Clinton PRESIDENT!!! Happy days are on the horizon! :)

President Bill Clinton was a kick ass President and from an intellectual... foreign policy... and economic standpoint George Bush or any other Republican President couldn't carry his jock strap!
Reagan.

Perhaps in raw R v D numbers, but in numbers combined with clinton's "troubles" few democrats were willing to stick their necks out too far in support of him. ANWR is perhaps among the few that they were.

Clinton only had 2 of 37 total vetos that were overridden.
The successful ones were:
December 19, 1995: Vetoed H.R. 1058, Private Securities Litigation Act of 1995. Overridden by House, 319-100 (280 needed). Overridden by Senate, 68-30 (66 needed), and enacted as Pub.L. 104-67 over veto.

October 3, 1992: Vetoed S. 12, Cable Television Consumer Protection and Competition Act of 1992. Overridden by Senate, 74-25 (66 needed). Overridden by House, 308-114 (282, and enacted as Pub.L. 102-385 over President's veto.

So we now have a total consensus.

I'm glad we all finally agree on something and go along with Republican and world renowned economic expert Alan Greenspan. Clinton was the best.

I think there's a very good chance our nation will get another Clinton PRESIDENT!!! Happy days are on the horizon! :)

Consensus? If this is how liberals define consensus, then I see how you arive at consensus on the subject of anthropogenic global warming. It has nothing to do with reality, but somehow in your mind, it exists anyway.

Clintons centerpiece of foriegn policy involved the palestinians and israel. That failed. He got us into a war that we are still involved in but no one seems to notice, but that aside, what foriegn policy successes did he have?

Or were you just talking to yourself like a rat in a cage?

Clinton only had 2 of 37 total vetos that were overridden.
The successful ones were:
December 19, 1995: Vetoed H.R. 1058, Private Securities Litigation Act of 1995. Overridden by House, 319-100 (280 needed). Overridden by Senate, 68-30 (66 needed), and enacted as Pub.L. 104-67 over veto.

October 3, 1992: Vetoed S. 12, Cable Television Consumer Protection and Competition Act of 1992. Overridden by Senate, 74-25 (66 needed). Overridden by House, 308-114 (282, and enacted as Pub.L. 102-385 over President's veto.

Come on bunz, be intellectually honest. The great bulk of those vetoes were before he lost the senate and house to the R's.

Clinton's = Great overall results oriented work ethic. Highly respected & loved the world over except by fear mongering neo-cons of course.

Bush's = International & internal conflict and divisiveness, HUGE deficit spending and government growth to saddle our children with and bottom of the barrel 24% overall approval ratings.

Consensus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :)

Come on bunz, be intellectually honest. The great bulk of those vetoes were before he lost the senate and house to the R's.

Actually no. During the 103rd congress, which was democrat controlled Clinton didnt veto a single bill.
Both of the examples I gave are from I believe was the 104th congress. Where the GOP was in control. All of Clinton's vetos came from a GOP lead congress.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_presidential_vetoes#Bill_Clinton

On another thread, a couple of clintonites have put forward the following list as "accomplishments" of bill clinton.
The Clinton Presidency: Key Accomplishments

Since those who made the claim that clinton "accomplished" the items on the list above can't answer the question, I will put it to the larger board.

Exactly what did he (clinton) do to "accomplish" the items on the list?
I'd have to defer to the Wall Street Journal.

"Not only was the entire national deficit eliminated after raising taxes on the wealthy in 1993, but the economy grew so fast for the remainder of the decade that many conservative economists thought that the Fed should raise the prime interest rate in order to slow it down."

Werbung:
On another thread, a couple of clintonites have put forward the following list as "accomplishments" of bill clinton.

Economy: the Strongest Economy in a Generation
Longest Economic Expansion in U.S. History
More Than 22 Million New Jobs
Fastest and Longest Real Wage Growth in Over Three Decades
Household Income Breaks $40,000 for First Time in History
Unemployment is the Lowest in Over Three Decades
Highest Homeownership Rate in History
Largest One-Year Drop in Child Poverty in More than Three Decades
Crime and Drugs: Lowest Crime Rates in 25 Years
Lowest Crime Rates in a Generation
Lowest Percentage of Americans on Welfare in 35 Years as More Recipients Go to Work
Teen Births Down to the Lowest Rate on Record

I asked these clintonites specifically what clinton did to accomplish these things beyond simply being in office and more or less staying out of the economy's way and letting it be.

It's always so entertaining....rubbing "conservatives" collective-noses in each-and-every Dem clean-up job!!!
Here’s what conservative politicians said about the 1993 deficit reduction legislation that raised taxes on the top 1.2% of our wealthiest citizens:

"Clearly, this is a job-killer in the short-run. The impact on job creation is going to be devastating." —Rep. Dick Armey, (Republican, Texas)

"The tax increase will…lead to a recession…and will actually increase the deficit."
—Rep. Newt Gingrich (Republican, Georgia)

"I will make you this bet. I am willing to risk the mortgage on it…the deficit will be up; unemployment will be up; in my judgment, inflation will be up."
—Sen. Robert Packwood (Republican, Oregon)

"The deficit four years from today will be higher than it is today, not lower."
—Sen. Phil Gramm (Republican, Texas)

"The President promised a middle-class tax cut, yet he and his party imposed the largest tax increase in American history. We hope his higher taxes will not cut short the economic recovery and declining interest rates he inherited… Instead of stifling growth through higher taxes and increased government regulations, Republicans would take America in a different direction."
—Sen. Robert Dole (Republican, Kansas)

Back