Dems: highest 2% of earners,who already pay 50% of all incm taxes, must pay even more

Re: Dems: highest 2% of earners,who already pay 50% of all incm taxes, must pay even

What I was actually trying to ask is, would you prefer to be a person making $300,000 a year, and paying $50,000 in Federal taxes,
How did you arrive at $50k in taxes from $300,000?

Werbung:
Re: Dems: highest 2% of earners,who already pay 50% of all incm taxes, must pay even

How did you arrive at $50k in taxes from $300,000?

It is an approximate number, of course.

It is based on a combination of two things:

Buffett pays 17% federal taxes (17% of 300,000 would be close to 50,000)
And, I have been there, and it was what I paid in taxes, after deductions and tax loop holes. (however, it was under Clinton's tax code).

If you do want to nitpick, please feel free to do so.

I was given an exemple, and didn't intend to make it a "penny crunching" experience for anyone.

I for one have no problem with taxing the rich far more heavily than we currently do. A sizable chunk of them are government employees, anyway, and the rest have profited from manipulating government trade and immigration policies to enrich themselves at the expense of the average worker.

I for one have no problem with taxing the rich far more heavily than we currently do. A sizable chunk of them are government employees, anyway, and the rest have profited from manipulating government trade and immigration policies to enrich themselves at the expense of the average worker.

There are very few government employees making $250,000 or more per year....or $200,000 for a single person I suppose.

There are very few government employees making $250,000 or more per year....or $200,000 for a single person I suppose.

A considerable number make well over $100,000, and that's rich enough to me.

And there are, of course, the lawyers, lobbyists, developers, contractors, etc., who make their money off the government without being directly employed by it.

A considerable number make well over $100,000, and that's rich enough to me.

$100,000 a year will get you nowhere in a place like New York or DC.

And there are, of course, the lawyers, lobbyists, developers, contractors, etc., who make their money off the government without being directly employed by it.

So what?

So what?

So what????

Should all those people loose their income too? Whatever business (in addition to your inherited wealth) you are involved with, it's obviously not providing services or contracting with the U.S. Government!

But several of your clients might be contractors of the U.S. Government!

And... I agree that $100,000 in NY City is not huge. . .but it beats $50,000 in no-where Kansas!

It is an approximate number, of course.

It is based on a combination of two things:

Buffett pays 17% federal taxes (17% of 300,000 would be close to 50,000)
And, I have been there, and it was what I paid in taxes, after deductions and tax loop holes. (however, it was under Clinton's tax code).

If you do want to nitpick, please feel free to do so.

BigRob specified the federal income tax, 15% of Buffet's 17.7% came from capital gains taxes, not the Progressive income tax.

Income: $300,000
Income tax liability: $83,897
% of income: 27.97%
Tax bracket: 33%

Income: $40,000
Income tax liability: $6,125
% of income: 15.31%
Tax bracket: 25%

Source

So what????

Should all those people loose their income too? Whatever business (in addition to your inherited wealth) you are involved with, it's obviously not providing services or contracting with the U.S. Government!

But several of your clients might be contractors of the U.S. Government!

And... I agree that $100,000 in NY City is not huge. . .but it beats $50,000 in no-where Kansas!

You misread my post...I am saying so what if there are people who earn $100,000 or more working as government contractors etc...That does not make them rich...and it is not a comment on the value of their job.

If anyone is advocating for people to lose their income, it is you, and the idea of "paying your fair share", whatever that even means.

You misread my post...I am saying so what if there are people who earn $100,000 or more working as government contractors etc...That does not make them rich...and it is not a comment on the value of their job.

If anyone is advocating for people to lose their income, it is you, and the idea of "paying your fair share", whatever that even means.

I'm sorry I didn't understand what you met!

But, face it, if ANYONE is making $100,000 or more (up to $250,000 NET), NO ONE is talking about raising THEIR taxes.

So. . .what's the argument again?

And I have NEVER advocated for anyone to lose their income. . .just a tiny little part of a huge income. . .like maybe 3 to 5%. . .of NET income over $1 million?

When did you EVER read that I wanted ANYONE to lose their income?
Although. . .I must say that if someone should not receive a check after the 3rd of August, I believe it should be every Congress person!

I'm sorry I didn't understand what you met!

But, face it, if ANYONE is making $100,000 or more (up to $250,000 NET), NO ONE is talking about raising THEIR taxes.

So. . .what's the argument again?

We seem to agree here. TTSP indicated that he wanted to tax "rich" people more, and then stated that many of them were working for the government.

I pointed out that very few government employees actually make that much money, and it made little sense as a justification for taxing the rich.

And I have NEVER advocated for anyone to lose their income. . .just a tiny little part of a huge income. . .like maybe 3 to 5%. . .of NET income over $1 million?

When did you EVER read that I wanted ANYONE to lose their income?
Although. . .I must say that if someone should not receive a check after the 3rd of August, I believe it should be every Congress person!

Interestingly enough, Congress keeps getting paid in a government shut down.

That said, in terms of losing income, you have never said that anyone should lose their entire income, but losing a part of income is still losing income.

This excerpt from CATO fits into previous discussions we have been having as well, so I will post it here.

"We are nonetheless constantly told that consumer spending is the driving force behind economic growth or recession, simply because 70% of GDP is used to finance consumption. This demand-side fallacy arises from focusing on uses of income rather than sources. In reality, consumption depends on income and wealth, and income and wealth depends on business. If business is profitable, personal income from work and investments will rise and that will finance consumption."

So what?

So they hardly have a basis to complain about the government taking a slightly larger chunk of the income it gave them in the first place.

And nearly everyone who is even modestly wealthy is in bed with government somewhere.

So they hardly have a basis to complain about the government taking a slightly larger chunk of the income it gave them in the first place.

So government employees ought to pay higher taxes simply because they work for the government?

And nearly everyone who is even modestly wealthy is in bed with government somewhere.

Perhaps.

So government employees ought to pay higher taxes simply because they work for the government?

Perhaps.

ONLY If their income is above the $250,000 NET mark.

Although the $1million NET mark was also offered by some Democrats and was STILL rejected by the GOP!

Werbung:

BigRob specified the federal income tax, 15% of Buffet's 17.7% came from capital gains taxes, not the Progressive income tax.

Tax bracket: 33%

Tax bracket: 25%

Source
Federal tax isn't the only tax on the payroll.
You should always include the FICA tax when making comparisons.

Medicare portion of FICA will be $4,350.00
Social Security portion of FICA will be $6,621.60
Total payroll tax liability: $94,868
% of income: 31.6%

Medicare portion of FICA will be $580.00
Social Security portion of FICA will be $2,480.00
Total payroll tax liability: $9,185
% of income: 23%

Source: http://www.calculatorpro.com/fica-tax-calculator/

That calculation is somewhat less progressive.

Back