Europe is more humane than America is

steveox

Deaf Twins Going Blind Euthanized

Two deaf twin brothers in Belgium were euthanized by their doctor after realizing they were going blind and would be unable to see each other ever again, their physician says.

The 45-year-old men, whose names have not been made public, were legally put to death by lethal injection at the Brussels University Hospital in Jette, on Dec. 14.

The men, who were born deaf, had a cup of coffee and said goodbye to other family members before walking into hospital room together to die, their doctor told Belgian television station RTL.

"They were very happy. It was a relief to see the end of their suffering," said Dr. David Dufour.
"They had a cup of coffee in the hall. It went well and a rich conversation. Then the separation from their parents and brother was very serene and beautiful," he said. "At the last there was a little wave of their hands and then they were gone,"

More than 1,000 people legally availed themselves of doctor-assisted deaths in Belgium in 2011, most of them were terminally ill cancer patients.

http://news.yahoo.com/deaf-twins-going-blind-euthanized-165500992--abc-news-topstories.html

Discuss!

Werbung:
Its humain to kill healthy people ?

i guess its cheaper than paying a shrink to explain what a stupid idea this is and to.buy them white canes and such.

next logical step is to anticipate who will maybe want to die on the public's dime and whack them.

dont get sick in belgium, itll kill you.

Look Suppose your pet was old and going blind and deaf? The Vet would put it to sleep. You wanna know why you cant do that In America? Cause youre the burden to the government. Your pets cannot make money for the insurance companies and Pets dont pay taxes. But you do. Thats why its not legal for Docs in America put you to sleep when you go deaf and blind like Vets can do to pets. Dont Police ever charge your vet for Murder putting your pet down? But Dr Kevorian was sent to prison for assisted suicide, Why should he go to prison and not your vet?

Look Suppose your pet was old and going blind and deaf? The Vet would put it to sleep. You wanna know why you cant do that In America? Cause youre the burden to the government. Your pets cannot make money for the insurance companies and Pets dont pay taxes. But you do. Thats why its not legal for Docs in America put you to sleep when you go deaf and blind like Vets can do to pets. Dont Police ever charge your vet for Murder putting your pet down? But Dr Kevorian was sent to prison for assisted suicide, Why should he go to prison and not your vet?
Its legal in Oregon and the state will happily pay for it. One lady in the town next door to me wanted government help for her cancer treatment. Fair enough to ask since Oregon taxes the crap out of us for the healthcare system they are so proud of, but when she asked Oregon to help her pay for her meds (that keep her alive) they said no, but we will pay for your doctor assisted suicide if you want. When the pharmaceutical company heard about this they gave her the meds for free. She eventually did die but not the way Oregon wanted.

Oregon is much like Belgium apparently :*( how sad!!
As for being "put down" for going blind, I wonder what the blind people think of this??

This seems so obvious to me. If someone is suffering for whatever reason, he should be able to have a doctor assisted suicide. This is not a death panel situation where someone is sentenced to die. This seems like a very fundamental human right that belongs to me. My life is constant pain, I will never be able to enjoy life again. I want to end my life in a dignified way... not hanging from a tree where I had put a noose around my neck and jumped.

Imagine how hard that would be for the people who found me. My mother committed suicide with a massive dose of barbiturates the doctor gave her. The neighbor who found her was traumatized for days.

Support doctor-assisted suicide - you may want it someday.

..... But Dr Kevorian was sent to prison for assisted suicide, Why should he go to prison and not your vet?
I want the option of assisted suicide, but Kevorkian was an idiot. He was a grandstander and continually made a very private act public. His undoing was when he videotaped an assisted suicide.

people are not pets.

I want the option of assisted suicide, but Kevorkian was an idiot. He was a grandstander and continually made a very private act public. His undoing was when he videotaped an assisted suicide.
Not all deaf and blind people are useless. . Helen Keller was both but contributed much to society. How can we know what a person can contribute to society in the future?

Not all deaf and blind people are useless. . Helen Keller was both but contributed much to society. How can we know what a person can contribute to society in the future?
I don't understand. I was only saying that Kevorkian was asking for trouble. I agree that people can overcome many handicaps. The only reason I would consider suicide if I had feeding tubes, breathing tubes, and was under continual pain and unable to think let alone do anything.
My father-in-law was bedridden for a year in diapers and a feeding tube. A daughter took care of him. I would not want to put anyone through that.

people are not pets.
But your Vet should serve time here for murder
Cell-row_4249_jpg_475x310_q85.jpg

I think the issue becomes more relevant as our medical technology improves rapidly. Hospitals can keep a person alive a long time. Keep them alive, but the quality of life never comes close to being normal again. It is important that societal norms keep up with our technology. Look around: no text messaging when you are driving - 13 years ago we didn't have hand phones. The computer has had a tremendous impact and society has adjusted to it.

Birth control for teenagers without parent's permission. Ha, the "pill" wasn't invented until the mid-sixties.

Our social norms must keep up with technology or we will have a whole lot of nursing homes filled with miserable people hoping to die soon.

Werbung:
I don't understand. I was only saying that Kevorkian was asking for trouble. I agree that people can overcome many handicaps. The only reason I would consider suicide if I had feeding tubes, breathing tubes, and was under continual pain and unable to think let alone do anything.
My father-in-law was bedridden for a year in diapers and a feeding tube. A daughter took care of him. I would not want to put anyone through that.
What you want as a fit sane man , might be different when you are sick. I would hate to be in diapers and have a woman change them. But this happen when we were young. My brother was admitted to a nursing home with Parkinson disease. At first he wanted a male nurse to help him in the toilet. But now he allows anyone to help him. In the end he can not do it for himself. Did you ask his daughter wanted to do this or rather he died?

In the end this is a decision we will all have to make one day if we live long enough. I suspect most of us we not choose to be euthanized

Back