Expert: Bots are poised to wreak havoc in the 2018 midterm elections

PLC1

Staff member
Expert: Bots are poised to wreak havoc in the 2018 midterm elections

American democracy still has a glaring propaganda problem.

Automated bot accounts that spread disinformation and sowed disgust and confusion among voters during the 2016 presidential election are poised to wreak havoc again in this year’s midterm elections, according to a leading expert.

This is worse than the propaganda and disinformation spread via political ads on TV, or is it? Can we somehow get past the manipulation of elections? Can we live with it? What do you think?

Werbung:
That's true.
The same is true of political advertising. I don't listen to that, either. The problem is, a lot of voters do.
Well the political advertsing industry would certainly have you believe that. Me not so much. Those folks would have you bel0l ieve a 2% return is fantastic.
It's a small sample but I don't know anyone who ever changed their mind due to ads. Closest was Nixon tanking after he refused make up.

Well the political advertsing industry would certainly have you believe that. Me not so much. Those folks would have you bel0l ieve a 2% return is fantastic.
It's a small sample but I don't know anyone who ever changed their mind due to ads. Closest was Nixon tanking after he refused make up.
A 2% return is the difference between a 49 to 51 percent loss, and an equal victory. The ball does not have to get nothing but net. if it bounces around a few times before going in, it still counts.

And, if ads didn't work, the candidates wouldn't spend millions of special interest money on them, and the special interests wouldn't donate those millions in hopes of getting a friendly representative in Congress.

The bots could prove even more effective at fooling the voters than the TV ads have. In that case, it will no longer be necessary to spend millions. Bots are a lot cheaper than slick advertising campaigns.

Political advertising absolutely works - and people absolutely change their minds due to ads.

A 2% return is the difference between a 49 to 51 percent loss, and an equal victory. The ball does not have to get nothing but net. if it bounces around a few times before going in, it still counts.

And, if ads didn't work, the candidates wouldn't spend millions of special interest money on them, and the special interests wouldn't donate those millions in hopes of getting a friendly representative in Congress.

The bots could prove even more effective at fooling the voters than the TV ads have. In that case, it will no longer be necessary to spend millions. Bots are a lot cheaper than slick advertising campaigns.
Advertising 2% is just response not sales and a think it's far lower.
So boys are joining lap flaps robocalls and all the rest. I'm pretty sure it will only annoy people further.

Advertising 2% is just response not sales and a think it's far lower.
So boys are joining lap flaps robocalls and all the rest. I'm pretty sure it will only annoy people further.
No doubt it will annoy people further. It will also make people believe half truths and outright lies that they will rely on to determine how to vote, which is the purpose of propaganda, of course.

No doubt it will annoy people further. It will also make people believe half truths and outright lies that they will rely on to determine how to vote, which is the purpose of propaganda, of course.
I well political campaigning has been all about this for as long as voting has been around, what's the alternative ?

I well political campaigning has been all about this for as long as voting has been around, what's the alternative ?
Yes, it has. It's just a lot more sophisticated now, more targeted to the individual, and easier to spread propaganda. What's the alternative? Personally, I'd like to see the candidates debate and answer questions on live TV and not have any of the shenanigans that always accompany elections, but I suppose that's just pie in the sky.

Werbung:
Yes, it has. It's just a lot more sophisticated now, more targeted to the individual, and easier to spread propaganda. What's the alternative? Personally, I'd like to see the candidates debate and answer questions on live TV and not have any of the shenanigans that always accompany elections, but I suppose that's just pie in the sky.
I still like the idea of publishing your platform and leaving it at that. Some debates or other forums to explain the platform are fine but mainly subtract the money from the process.
If you remove the money you remove the influence peddling.
Yeah, never happen. Influence peddling is the whole point of politics.

Back