Gettin' "Hip" With Faux Noise!!

Mr. Shaman

"Frank Luntz noted: "What is different between younger and older voters is the language. Young voters want to be talked to at their level. They want somebody who's hip. They want someone who's got the language down, who might even say to a kid 'Yo, dude!' You say 'Yo, dude!' to a senior, you've lost their vote."

Luntz's implication is that somehow the younger generation can't have an educated discussion with an older person unless it is peppered with street slang and hip-hop jargon."

Werbung:
Lunz is, in all likelihood, the best person on political language in the U.S. I trust his analysis over anyone elses.

Of course you do, because he's a Republican. I don't doubt his expertise, but his slant is obvious and a problem.

How does what party he work for have anything to do with his analysis? Most Democrats acknowledge that he is the best at what he does. It was either John Kerry or Al Gore who said that their party terribly needed their own Frank Luntz.

How does what party he work for have anything to do with his analysis? Most Democrats acknowledge that he is the best at what he does. It was either John Kerry or Al Gore who said that their party terribly needed their own Frank Luntz.

I've heard him handicapping various election races at times, and he always puts the Republican in the best light. Considering he almost exclusively works for Republicans, I can't blame him, but his views have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Luntz's implication is that somehow the younger generation can't have an educated discussion with an older person unless it is peppered with street slang and hip-hop jargon."
His skill aside, on the issue of young voters wanting more hip-hop lingo in politics is simply not true in my experience. Being young myself(26) and quite politically active in my community, It would generally turn me off from a candidate if they took up those lines. I think more important the words being used, is how they are used and that it appears sincere and real. If any of the front runners, Obama included, were to say fo-shizzle or something similar in a public setting thier campaign would come to an end quicker than throwing a car into 1st gear while going 50.

Like the title of one of Luntz's books contends, "it's not what you say, it's what people hear".

Even for a jar headed devil dog, your not too dumb. I would encourage anyone to look up British transvestite comedian Eddie Izzard and his bit on this sort of thing. It is quite funny. Something along the lines of %10 what you say, %40 of how you look when you say it, and %50 how you say it.
It was from his HBO special circa 2000. Despite my inability to do so, Id imagine one can stream it from youtube.

Like the title of one of Luntz's books contends, "it's not what you say, it's what people hear".
.....And, you don't see any conflict between that sentiment, and....."Young voters want to be talked to at their level. They want somebody who's hip. They want someone who's got the language down, who might even say to a kid 'Yo, dude!'"? :confused:

In what political-event do you envision hearing a candidate say "Yo! Yo! Yo! RUDY'S in-da-house!!!"

Werbung:
Lunz is, in all likelihood, the best person on political language in the U.S. I trust his analysis over anyone elses.

Frank Luntz has once again demonstrated his bias, a bias so extreme, it negates anything he has to say.
Pollster Frank Luntz Falsely Alleges Democrats Don’t Believe In God
Reported by Ellen - December 14, 2007

Last night (12/13/07), Hannity & Colmes hosted Frank Luntz as a supposedly neutral pollster to analyze the Democratic candidates’ debate held earlier in the day. Luntz is a regular on the show yet his Republican ties are routinely undisclosed to the viewers. On last night’s show, Luntz asserted that Democrats don’t believe in God, despite the fact that polls show otherwise. As Media Matters has noted, Luntz has had recurring problems with his credibility.

For the sake of context, I’ve included below the video of the entire final portion of a multi-part segment with Luntz regarding the debate. But the relevant part occurred about a minute before the end, during Luntz’ go-round with Alan Colmes.

Luntz told Colmes, “Republicans are religious. There’s a difference between a Republican and a Democrat and it’s not just about race, it’s not just about ethnicity. One of the biggest differences is in terms of religion. Republicans believe in God and they attend church. Democrats…” Luntz did not finish his sentence but he was shaking his head.

Colmes interjected, “Democrats do too, they just don’t want it in their politicians…”

Luntz interrupted, “You just made my point.”

In fact, all the relevant polls I found indicate that while it's true Democrats attend church less than Republicans the overwhelming number of Democrats believe in God. For example, a 2003 Harris Interactive Poll found that 78% of Democrats believe in God (compared to 87% of Republicans). A June, 2007 CBS News Poll found that 58% of Democrats thought it important for a candidate to have strong religious beliefs. And as Beliefnet reported in what appears to be a 2004 article, 61 percent of Democrats say they pray daily or more often (compared to 67% of Republicans) and that most find religion important. The authors of the article (one of whom is editor-in-chief) conclude, “There is no God gulf. It’s a myth.”
http://www.newshounds.us/2007/12/14...ely_alleges_democrats_dont_believe_in_god.php

Back