Houston elects openly gay mayor

Popeye

Bad news for the religious freaks and homophobes...

Annise Parker made history Saturday as Houston's first openly gay mayor.

Parker, who served five years as city controller, beat former city attorney Gene Locke with 53.6 percent of the vote in a runoff election.

Both are Democrats who faced off for the second time because neither emerged with more than 50 percent of the vote in the November 3 election.

Parker's election also makes her the second woman to become mayor of Houston. Other cities such as Providence, Rhode Island, and Portland, Oregon, have picked openly gay mayors. Houston is the fourth-largest U.S. city.

--------

Parker, 53, has never shied away from, nor made an issue of, her sexual orientation. She has been with her partner for 19 years and they have two adopted children.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/12...n=Feed:+rss/cnn_topstories+(RSS:+Top+Stories)

Werbung:
Why is it bad news? Why is it news at all?

Why do liberals make a big deal when someone they have shoved in a box does something?

Oregon has a transgender (I think thats the word) mayor. I think he is the mayor of Ashland, Oregon.

He dresses in mini skirts and cute girl clothes. He has been the mayor there a long time.

I dont know why that made news either.

We should stop putting people in boxes like black, latino, homosexual. female exc.

we should just all be People, and Americans.

Why do liberals make a big deal when someone they have shoved in a box does something?

Oregon has a transgender (I think thats the word) mayor. I think he is the mayor of Ashland, Oregon.

He dresses in mini skirts and cute girl clothes. He has been the mayor there a long time.

We should stop putting people in boxes like black, latino, homosexual. female exc.

Probably for the same reason that so many religious and right wing people made such a big deal out of Maine banning gay marriage.

I agree, treat all adults equally under the law, leave the religious dogma in church.

Then do us a favor pan.:)

Tell that to you're Republicant Party because the only reason we bring it up is because those fake holy rollers & homophobs constantly harp on how bad it is to be gay and do everything possible to run gays down and enthusiastically campaign against them.

Then do us a favor pan.:)

Tell that to you're Republicant Party because the only reason we bring it up is because those fake holy rollers & homophobs constantly harp on how bad it is to be gay and do everything possible to run gays down and enthusiastically campaign against them.

Im not a republican, I just like them better than liberals

I dont hear about all this bashing, I do hear about marriage being a religous deal between a man and woman stuff but not to be mean to homosexuals, jus to preserve the meaning of marriage.

I dont know anyone, republican or democrat who cares if people are homosexual, but If I meet one, I will lecture them about it :)

I dont hear about all this bashing, I do hear about marriage being a religous deal between a man and woman stuff but not to be mean to homosexuals, jus to preserve the meaning of marriage.

I dont know anyone, republican or democrat who cares if people are homosexual, but If I meet one, I will lecture them about it :)

One would think that you would be concerned about the Constitution though. I mean as a Republican-leaning preson don't you consider the Constitution important? The Constitution grants equal rights under the law in this country and the religious denial of marriage abrogates that guarantee.

Marriage is not a religious issue in US Law, we are not a theocracy.

If you don't know anyone who cares about whether people are gay or not then you should talk to Siho on this site. Remember when the hearings were held in Salem about the civil unions bill and the anti-discrimination bill? Every single person who spoke against those bills was a self-identified Christian and used Christian dogma to make their argument. Would you care to guess how many of those people were registered Democrats and how many Republicans?

George pandered to the Christian right in regards to the Defense of Marriage Act, so maybe he lied about his religous beliefs--I don't know--but he sure as Hell pushed the Christian fundie agenda.

Did you pay any attention to the fight in Maine about gay marriage? The Republicans were right in there, so were the Catholics, and the Mormons. Every Mormon I know personally is a Republican.

Your comment about no one you knows cares if people are gay, it was used in a similar fashion about blacks, no one cared if people were black as long the didn't get uppity and want equality.

yea why are "Liberals" always puting people in boxes....its so mean

am I the only one to notice the Box Pandora just used? cough cough

And funny how republicans like to use that same box...to take way peoples Rights.....Gays Can;t marry....why who put them in that box?

Pandora you can stop your fake hippie bull crap ...you love to Box people...just when it fits you

yea why are "Liberals" always puting people in boxes....its so mean

am I the only one to notice the Box Pandora just used? cough cough

And funny how republicans like to use that same box...to take way peoples Rights.....Gays Can;t marry....why who put them in that box?

Pandora you can stop your fake hippie bull crap ...you love to Box people...just when it fits you

Fake hippie? I am not a fake hippie or even a yuppie

On a personal level I think marriage should be

anyone or anything can marry anyone or anything any time for any reason in groups or in singles.

thats what I think of marriage

some say just one man one woman, its not just homophobes and its not just christians and its not just any one shoved in anyones box

lots of different people from differnt walks of life for differnt reasons feel that way. Personally I think marrage stinks and a person would have to be nuts to want the government to validate their relationship.

others say two poeple either sex but no more than two. why not 3? why not 9? why not 2 men a woman a dog and a tree? who cares..

You would like to say just evil republicans are against homosexual marriage, but Calif and NY shows otherwise, its all sorts of people for all sorts of reasons and I dont think its about putting people in boxes I think its in some way trying to preserve something though I think marriage is not worth preserving personally.

others say two poeple either sex but no more than two. why not 3? why not 9? why not 2 men a woman a dog and a tree? who cares..

Consent, otherwise you have the equivalent of child molesting, only adults who can give their consent. Animals and appliances cannot consent, nor dissent, therefore it's coercion.

Consent, otherwise you have the equivalent of child molesting, only adults who can give their consent. Animals and appliances cannot consent, nor dissent, therefore it's coercion.

I forgot, yes kids. we went around this before. I do not think children should be able to marry other children or adults.

:)

The rest I really dont care, no one is hurt.

of course I dont think of marriage being about sex. I would marry my sister or grandmother if it would screw the government from getting our money at one of our deaths.

So on a personal level I really dont care. I got married once because it was 55 dollars to get married and have my name changed and free changes on drivers lic. exc. or I could have paid over 500 to legally have it changed, then pay extra to have it done on my id. I hated my madien name, and wanted something else.

I have no respect for modern day marriages and I dont care who is doing it, as long as polygamists can do it too..I dont care :)

We've been all through that Pan... you vote Republicant you are a Republicant. But I know... I'd be embarrassed to admit it too.;)

And what you are is in the discrimination and force your personal religious beliefs on others business. It's just like the ones that scream foul when a business wants to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. The fact that Christmas it is not what the holiday is to every Jew, Muslim and at least 3 or 4 other major beliefs means nothing to you.

To you the holiday is just as you see it and as such you are offended when anyone says... Let's just have a generic greeting that is open to all.

Conservatives aren't big on "open to all" I've found. That's why their tent is so small and shrinking.

I forgot, yes kids. we went around this before. I do not think children should be able to marry other children or adults. :)
The rest I really dont care, no one is hurt.

of course I dont think of marriage being about sex. I would marry my sister or grandmother if it would screw the government from getting our money at one of our deaths.

So on a personal level I really dont care. I got married once because it was 55 dollars to get married and have my name changed and free changes on drivers lic. exc. or I could have paid over 500 to legally have it changed, then pay extra to have it done on my id. I hated my madien name, and wanted something else.

I have no respect for modern day marriages and I dont care who is doing it, as long as polygamists can do it too..I dont care :)

Among consenting adults I don't care either. But children and animals will be victimized if we don't prevent it.

Washington, DC voted to allow gay marriages despite threats by the Catholic church that they would cut aid to "...homeless shelters, food programs for needy families, and health services..." if the bill passed. Now THAT'S Christian! For all the people who have continued to tell me that it's not Christians promulgating hatred towards gays, all I can say is, "Here it is in the words of Catholic Archbishop Wuerl." Straight from the horses's... um, mouth.

We've been all through that Pan... you vote Republicant you are a Republicant. But I know... I'd be embarrassed to admit it too.;)

And what you are is in the discrimination and force your personal religious beliefs on others business. It's just like the ones that scream foul when a business wants to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. The fact that Christmas it is not what the holiday is to every Jew, Muslim and at least 3 or 4 other major beliefs means nothing to you.

To you the holiday is just as you see it and as such you are offended when anyone says... Let's just have a generic greeting that is open to all.

Conservatives aren't big on "open to all" I've found. That's why their tent is so small and shrinking.

I vote for both Ds and Rs, but mostly I's

and I hate to break it to you but I dont celebrate christmas, I like Passover :) and most other Jewish Holidays :)

Werbung:
Among consenting adults I don't care either. But children and animals will be victimized if we don't prevent it.

Well I think sex with animals is horrible but if a person married their cat so when they leave all their money to their cat, why not?

If you leave your money to a trust that takes care of your cat the government will get a huge chunk. Modern marriage is basicly a joke and a loop hole to keep the government and their grabbing hands off your stuff.

Back