How to end the War on Terror -- liberal "progressive" style

USMC the Almighty

While it appears from more than one point of view that the War in Iraq and the War on Terror are situations from which we may never be able to extricate ourselves, from the mountains of Pakistan comes a very simple solution: convert to Islam.

Before we reject this out of hand, lets seriously consider it for a moment: Osama Bin Laden promised the wars would be over if Americans convert to Islam.

This may sound like a lot to ask from the most religious country in the industrialized world. But of all the Christians in America today who profess to be religious, how many of us are seriously devout?

How many of us are really just religious lightweights, happy to simply go to church every Sunday, attend church socials, knock back a drink or two every Christmas and not worry ourselves about the deeper implications of our faith?

Given the way most of us pay any real attention to the tenets of our faith, life really wouldn’t be that different if we were to exchange one faith for another. The prayers would be different, but we would recite them just as mindlessly as we do today. The sermons would in all likelihood be exactly the same, and we’d continue to snore through them.

Sure, there are a few people here and there who take religion seriously, but they are in such a small minority that their protests can be easily ignored.

All in all, converting to Islam would be a small price to pay for an end to the killing and maiming of our sons and daughters, not to mention the billions of dollars we could put to better use than fighting this perpetual war.

So let’s do away with our religious pretences, adopt Islam as our new faith, add a few extra holidays to our calendar, and get down to the real business at hand: pumping oil.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/10/24/0320/2227

I sincerely hope this is just a brilliant piece of satire but coming from daily kos, I fear that it is serious. Of course I don't believe converting to Islam is the mainstream platform of the Democratic party, but the "peace at all cost" appeasement philosophy of the left-wing is certainly scary to say the least.

Werbung:
FDont you know obl is dead. i saw on selebritty deathmatch hillary chop is head off. didnt anyone else see this. I know the tapes are all fakes. i am going to sue alla because my knees hurt from praying that much. I cant go on a month fast.

Signed,
Steveox.

OK, all joking aside. USMC what you posted if it is reality is among the most dumb ideas I have ever heard. If history is any example to go on, I seem to recall several wars between two muslim countries.

The thing is, short of a nuclear detonation in DC, terrorism is not a threat the America. Any annoyance for sure. But a more likely way to lessen the threat of muslim terrorists attacking the us and killing innocents is to be more neutral when it comes to Israel. That would be the biggest thing.

If I were President, before the end of my term, I would set up a true soverign Palestine. Then I would have the UN undertake an arms embargo on Israel and all of its neighbors. Then I would ensure by force of the American military that any aggressive acts would be swiftly punished.
But thats just me.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/10/24/0320/2227

I sincerely hope this is just a brilliant piece of satire but coming from daily kos, I fear that it is serious. Of course I don't believe converting to Islam is the mainstream platform of the Democratic party, but the "peace at all cost" appeasement philosophy of the left-wing is certainly scary to say the least.
Gimme a break, what are you doing reading Kos for anyway?

OK, all joking aside. USMC what you posted if it is reality is among the most dumb ideas I have ever heard. If history is any example to go on, I seem to recall several wars between two muslim countries.

The thing is, short of a nuclear detonation in DC, terrorism is not a threat the America. Any annoyance for sure. But a more likely way to lessen the threat of muslim terrorists attacking the us and killing innocents is to be more neutral when it comes to Israel. That would be the biggest thing.

If I were President, before the end of my term, I would set up a true soverign Palestine. Then I would have the UN undertake an arms embargo on Israel and all of its neighbors. Then I would ensure by force of the American military that any aggressive acts would be swiftly punished.
But thats just me.

This is real progressive thinking. And I'm pretty sure that the converting to Muslim thing is a joke, and if its not then don't associate the author with 'my camp' please.

If the US is a bit more neutral with Israel, and stops acting as the country that is spreading (or forcing) wonderful democratic freedom on the middle east, you might find you dont get so much hate mail from that side of the world.

This is real progressive thinking. And I'm pretty sure that the converting to Muslim thing is a joke, and if its not then don't associate the author with 'my camp' please.

If the US is a bit more neutral with Israel, and stops acting as the country that is spreading (or forcing) wonderful democratic freedom on the middle east, you might find you dont get so much hate mail from that side of the world.

Granted I have never had the opportunity to sit down face to face with someone from the middle east(I live in the middle of nowhere, normal American minorities dont really come here. Mostly native, then white, then a few asians)
But I have had the chance to discuss ME politics with several online. I dont claim to be an expert. But it is interesting to note that every single one of them said distrust and hard feelings from the US stem from our blind and stubborn support of Israel.

None of them said we should wipe them off the face of the earth or anything like that. It was a matter of being objective when it comes to Israel-neighbors.

When the Muslims misbehave call them out. When the Israelis misbehave, call them out on it. Plain and simple.

When the Muslims misbehave call them out. When the Israelis misbehave, call them out on it. Plain and simple.

Great idea, unfortunately the US only believes in one side of that equation. I'm not being anti semitic, but thanks to Israeli lobbying groups, chief among them AIPAC, our Mideast foreign policy consists mainly of the Israel can do no wrong approach.

Werbung:
Great idea, unfortunately the US only believes in one side of that equation. I'm not being anti semitic, but thanks to Israeli lobbying groups, chief among them AIPAC, our Mideast foreign policy consists mainly of the Israel can do no wrong approach.

Berreal has made me very aware of the AIPAC. Once again an example of politicians who are bought and sold with little regard to the overall well being of thier constituents.

Back