Info on TX Governor Rick Perry

Little-Acorn

Since it looks like Rick Perry will run for president, and might actually become the frontrunner, it's time to start digging up EVERYTHING on him.

Here's what I've got so far.

Can anyone else add anything, good or bad? Especially things he's DONE, not just things he's said. Please be specific, include Bill Numbers, dates etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Rick Perry Info, Pros & Cons

INFO:

- Served in the Air Force for 5 years as C-140 pilot.
- First elected to the Texas Legislature as a Democrat in 1984.
- Served as Al Gore’s Texas campaign chairman in the 1988 presidential primaries.
- Elected as Texas Agricultural Commissioner in 1990 and served in that position until 1998.
- Elected as the first Republican Lieutenant Governor in Texas history.
Interesting note; John Sharp, who was Perry’s democrat opponent in this election, was Perry’s roommate at Texas A & M.
- Became Governor of Texas in 2000 upon George Bush’s resignation in order to run for president.
- Re-elected Governor in 2002.
- Re-elected Governor in 2006.
- Re-elected Governor in 2010.
- Currently the longest-serving Governor in the U.S.

PROS:

Perry signed into law the following legislation in Texas:

Tort Reform; 2003 – Constitutional amendment to cap medical malpractice awards. That amendment led to a 30% decrease in medical malpractice insurance premiums and a significant increase in doctors seeking to work in Texas.

Tort Reform; 2011 – Loser Pays. (signed HB 274, May 30, 2011) Plaintiffs who lose their court cases are now required to pay the court costs and attorney’s fees. Gives greater power for judges to throw out frivolous lawsuits.

Voter ID; 2011 – Voter ID. (signed SB14 on May 27, 2011) The legislation requires voters to present one of five acceptable forms of photo ID—a driver’s license, military ID, passport, concealed handgun license or a special voter ID card provided free of charge by the state.

Sonogram before Abortion (signed HB15, May 24, 2011)

Eminent Domain (signed SB18, May 23, 2011), preventing lowball offers and requiring that land be taken ONLY for public use. (Anti-Kelo decision)

Perry signed (nonbinding?) resolution HCR50 March 9, 2011, supporting 10th amendment restrictions on Federal power, and asserting state sovereignity.

Perry vetoed a bill that would regulate roadside vendors on cities with population over 250,000.

Perry opposed language in SB1 (June 2011) regarding an Internet Sales Tax.

Pressured Federal Govt for more support of closing the Texas-Mexico border. But also said that Arizona's legislation agains illegal aliens was "not the right solution for Texas".

On Aug. 28, 2007, Perry said: "If you show up illegally, without your card or you're here as a criminal element, I'm for throwing the book at those folks, but the issue of people who want to legally, thoughtfully and appropriately come to America to work and help us build our economy -- we should quickly come up with a program and an identification card to do that...
We know how to deal with border security, and you don't do it by building a fence."

Perry opposes other people's efforts to allow sanctuary cities in Texas, keeps pressing Texas legislature to create legislation banning sanctuary cities.

37% of all the new jobs created in the U.S. since 2009 were in Texas.

CONS:

Perry used to be a Democrat. In 1988 he supported Al Gore in the Dem Presidential Primaries, and was chairman of the Gore campaign in Texas.

Trans Texas Corridor was Perry’s idea for solving a non-existent traffic issue and promoting the NAFTA treaty making it easier from travel from Mexico through Texas (and beyond). The Corridor would have used eminent domain to take private land, land that was, possibly owned by families for a hundred years or more. Then again, any expansion done by any state agency for any reason, would use Eminent Domain to buy land.

In January 2007, HPV vaccine Gardasil was put in the "recommended" immunization schedule issued by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Centers for Disease Control. In Feburary 2, 2007, Perry signed Executive Order on Feb. 2, 2007 mandating that 6th grade girls get 3-shot series ($120/shot) of Gardasil, made by Merck. Perry's former chief of staff is one of Merck's lobbyists - conflict of interest? Perry received $7000 in campaign contributions from Merck (when?). Parents can sign an opt-out form. HPV and cervical cancer are NOT highly contagious, did state overstep its bounds?

OTHER:

Perry favors Intelligent Design being taught in public schools along with evolution.

------------------------------------------------------------

Anybody have anything else, good or bad? Please post!

Werbung:
Mixed bag...

I was asked this morning what I thought of him and i just couldn't say anything but mixed bag.

Bugs me that he is going to officially announce this weekend but wont be in tonights debates. He could have been IF he wanted to

Pandora, every candidate is a mixed bag. There's never been a perfect one yet.

Yet one of them will be our next President.

The question you have to answer is: Which of these imperfect candidates do you want it to be?

Pandora, every candidate is a mixed bag. There's never been a perfect one yet.

Yet one of them will be our next President.

The question you have to answer is: Which of these imperfect candidates do you want it to be?

Pretty much anyone but obama :)

If he is the candidate I would vote for him

I just like it when I can be really passionate about who I am voting for, so far this year .....

its just anyone but obama

Pretty much anyone but obama :)

If he is the candidate I would vote for him

I just like it when I can be really passionate about who I am voting for, so far this year .....

its just anyone but obama

That's VERY openminded!

By the way. . .Obama againts perry: 51% to 46%
Obama against Bachman: 51% to 44%
Obama against Romney 48% to 49%

Just released by CNN

That's VERY openminded!

By the way. . .Obama againts perry: 51% to 46%
Obama against Bachman: 51% to 44%
Obama against Romney 48% to 49%

Just released by CNN

Lets say someone asked me if I might want to date this guy, but I already know he hits women, steals their money and cheats on them

I would also be NON open minded and say no, I don't want to date him :)

obama has not even one quality that I respect or like or want in a president or fellow american citizen for that matter... actually he may even be someone I don't want to share the plaint with :) Unless he moved to some other country that I don't like very much

If he wins he wins but at least for now I have a vote I can use against him and a mouth that can encourage others to vote against him. That will be less of a job than it was last time around.... So far all the drooling bots I work with except one have changed their mind on him :)

Lets say someone asked me if I might want to date this guy, but I already know he hits women, steals their money and cheats on them

I would also be NON open minded and say no, I don't want to date him :)

obama has not even one quality that I respect or like or want in a president or fellow american citizen for that matter... actually he may even be someone I don't want to share the plaint with :) Unless he moved to some other country that I don't like very much

If he wins he wins but at least for now I have a vote I can use against him and a mouth that can encourage others to vote against him. That will be less of a job than it was last time around.... So far all the drooling bots I work with except one have changed their mind on him :)

See, that's the kind of hatred for one man that I just don't understand!
I kind of expect it from some people. . .I didn't expect that from you, whom I respect.

I would love to hear you list the reasons that make you believe he had done terrible things for American people.

I would love to hear how you can possibly compare this one man, your president to a man who would "hit woman, steal your money, and cheat on you!"

Is this just your gut feeling, your listening to the hatred spawned by the extreme right, or can you list FACTS?

See, that's the kind of hatred for one man that I just don't understand!
I kind of expect it from some people. . .I didn't expect that from you, whom I respect.

I would love to hear you list the reasons that make you believe he had done terrible things for American people.

I would love to hear how you can possibly compare this one man, your president to a man who would "hit woman, steal your money, and cheat on you!"

Is this just your gut feeling, your listening to the hatred spawned by the extreme right, or can you list FACTS?

LOL I don't think he hits women, hell Michelle probably beats him :)

My example was not that he did those things but those are not qualities you would want in a boyfriend or date

he has no qualities I want in a president.

I dont hate him I just disagree with him on utterly everything.

I have an idea You at least have somewhat of an idea on my political thinking right? Why don't you tell me what I should like or admire in him, better yet, give me one single reason I should vote for him.

I honestly cannot come up with one thing about him that I find better suited than any of the 8 debating tonight for his job.

Pandora, openmind is just trying to pretend you somehow "hate" Obama instead of having good, sesible reasons to not vote for him.

It's a typical leftist dodge from someone who can't support his own candidate with facts.

More info on Gov. Perry:

PRO:

Before Perry became Governor, it was illegal to have a firearm on your employer's property unless it was directly related to your work there. You couldn't even have one locked in your car in the parking lot. Perry signed a bill repealing the part about having one locked in your car, and now that is legal in Texas. Perry has been generally very supportive of gun rights.

CONS:

In 2001, Perry signed HB1403, which (if I'm reading it right) grants in-state tuition rates to illegal aliens IF they have applied to the Fed Govt for legal status. Even if the application was ten years ago and was refused, apparently they can still get those in-state rates.

Text of that bill can be found here, it's a couple pages long:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/77R/billtext/html/HB01403F.htm

Well at least this time I am not deemed a racist for not voting for him :) So things are looking up!
There are racists, not too much doubt about that. There are a lot of racists in America, and they do not want Barack Obama as President.

Then there are others who do not like Obama as a person, and/or don't like his policies, or how he pursues his policies.

Then there is that especially nasty large group of people who are racist and don't like being called racist, and bellow and squeal about it, even when no one is saying word one. When I hear that, I begin to wonder what they are so sensitive about.

There are racists, not too much doubt about that. There are a lot of racists in America, and they do not want Barack Obama as President.

Then there are others who do not like Obama as a person, and/or don't like his policies, or how he pursues his policies.

Then there is that especially nasty large group of people who are racist and don't like being called racist, and bellow and squeal about it, even when no one is saying word one. When I hear that, I begin to wonder what they are so sensitive about.

They might be sensitive because the last ten people they were around before you did call them racist for something as stupid as not voting for someone.

I had never been called a racist in my life till the obama election. I saw it happen all over. My daughter wore her pink Palin shirt to school ONCE and after a day of being called a racist with zero teachers stepping in, she refused to wear it ever again and came home crying.

At the school I work at any kid wearing a McCain shirt was called a racist. This forum was filled with people calling anyone who did not support him a racist. It was pretty much every place... You supported him so you probably didn't really notice, since it didn't fall on you.

But this thread is about Perry so we should talk about racism in another thread, go back to 2007 and 8 threads and there are tons of "you are a racist" threads to pick from :)

I have had this discussion before. First, I do not dispute your comments. I am sure it happens. I would add a couple of thoughts:

Jimmy the Greek made some racist remarks 20+ years ago and lost his job as a sports announcer. He never understood why his remarks were racist. This is a common experience. I hear this defense from people regularly: "Hey, thats not a racist comment! I was just telling the truth!" Or, "I'm not a racist. Some of my best friends are black (brown/red/yellow,whatever)." Are they racist? Usually. However they are convinced they are not, and that liberals are just picking on them.

Another thought on this is that these are opportunities for teaching moments. Unfortunately the heated discussions today are just way too common, and courteous conversation has been turned into a competitive desire to verbally crush the other person(s).

Werbung:
Perry was out jogging with his daughter's Labrador in 2010. A wild coyote threatened the dog, so Perry drew a small Ruger pistol and shot the coyote. He regularly carries a pistol while jogging, to deal with snakes and other such wildlife.

Of course, some animal-rights acivists protested. Perry's reply: "Don't attack my dog or you might get shot ... if you're a coyote."

Ruger now makes a special edition of that pistol, called the Coyote Special.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/bizarre&id=7458793

Back