Is the mind separate from the brain?

Get on, then.

palerider said:
It seems that most on this board are a good deal younger than me and I was curious to see how the generation behind me and the one behind those address the big philosophical questions.
You believe the question of "mind" to be a philosophical question? I had thought that we'd progressed enough in our science to warrant that "mind" itself could at least be considered to be an ongoing software development based on the creation of neural pathways created from the interplay of one's life experiences combined with one's natural or hereditary qualities (or lack thereof). You might refine your original question a little more:

palerider said:
Is your mind a separate entity from your brain or is everything you know, think, feel, and believe no more than a series of biochemical and electrochemical reactions?

Werbung:
Get on, then.

You believe the question of "mind" to be a philosophical question? I had thought that we'd progressed enough in our science to warrant that "mind" itself could at least be considered to be an ongoing software development based on the creation of neural pathways created from the interplay of one's life experiences combined with one's natural or hereditary qualities (or lack thereof). You might refine your original question a little more:

Yes, I consider it to be a philosophical question and I framed the question as I intended. If you feel that you need to refine it to suit your own personal answers, feel free.

Well, I'd kinda' hoped you'd intended on going a little further. See if anyone else weighs in.

I see it as a philosophical question, but then again I see, "Can you pass the ketchup?" as a philosophical question, so I guess that's a moot point.

I've always believed that the mind is separate from the brain in the sense that the mind uses the brain; the mind being the essence, the spark of life if you will, and the brain just being the hardware. In that sense how one's brain is affected by biochemical and electrochemical reactions is surely important (in that they alter the ways the mind is capable of using the brain), but drugs or brain damage can't forcibly physically change who you are (the psychological trauma can, though).

That's how I've always looked at it. I've never really considered the existence of the human soul but the idea of the mind as separate from the body has more or less always been my outlook on the subject.

That's how I've always looked at it. I've never really considered the existence of the human soul but the idea of the mind as separate from the body has more or less always been my outlook on the subject.

Do you believe that the mind is dependent upon the brain to the point that when the brain dies, the mind dies with it or is it possible that the mind continues on but is unable to further interact with this "plane" as it no longer has the physical brain with which to do so?

Do you believe that the mind is dependent upon the brain to the point that when the brain dies, the mind dies with it or is it possible that the mind continues on but is unable to further interact with this "plane" as it no longer has the physical brain with which to do so?

A soul, by any other name, would be as ethereal!

...or is it possible that the mind continues on but is unable to further interact with this "plane" as it no longer has the physical brain with which to do so?

What is a soul as contrasted to a mind?
A theoretical cohesive energy field independent of tangible matter containing the core essence of an entity's memory and character but requiring said matter to interact within the known physical plane versus a term referring to the overall organization of a physical entity's personality and memories as applied to the execution of interactions with others within the same space-time continuum.

Or something like that. Many of the points are subject to some interpretation as belief systems vary widely.

A theoretical cohesive energy field independent of tangible matter containing the core essence of an entity's memory and character but requiring said matter to interact within the known physical plane versus a term referring to the overall organization of a physical entity's personality and memories as applied to the execution of interactions with others within the same space-time continuum.

Are you saying that if you could know everything about how my brain works that you could know what it is like to be me or know what goes on in my mind?

If you are expecting some enjoyment at my expense whilst I struggle with this question, you are, sadly, going to be dissapointed. I have this firmly worked out in my mind to my own satisfaction already. I haven't struggled with anything of this nature for a very long time. I simply tossed the question out as fodder for anyone who might not have considered it.

It seems that most on this board are a good deal younger than me and I was curious to see how the generation behind me and the one behind those address the big philosophical questions.

I think it is an interesting question, though I am not quite a generation behind you. It has only been relatively recently in my life that I've started examining these questions as well as the related topics of truth, ethics and morality (morality in a broad and secular sense).

Are you saying that if you could know everything about how my brain works that you could know what it is like to be me or know what goes on in my mind?
Nope. How'd you extract that? And why would I wanna'?

I think it is an interesting question, though I am not quite a generation behind you. It has only been relatively recently in my life that I've started examining these questions as well as the related topics of truth, ethics and morality (morality in a broad and secular sense).

It is good that you are examining morality in a secular sense. A large number of people don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of morality separate from religion.

Apply your thoughts on ethics to the number 2,000,000,000 and see where, if anywhere, it takes you.

Werbung:
I don't think soul and mind are the same because, by it's very definition - you are born with a soul.

In a broad and non-religious sense (I am not an adherent to any religion), a soul is the spark of life that makes you a living thing.

You are born with a brain also - but not a mind. A mind is the sum total of your experiences and thoughts up to the point when the you die.

Does it go on after death -seperate from the brain?

Very interesting question....sci-fi deals with it by assuming that the mind can somehow be recorded and transferred. Also in allowing for the development of "mind" in an artificial intellegence. In that case the development of "mind" confers "life".

Mind could also be considered to be seperate from the brain in that it can remain "alive" through it's legacy of written material. The thoughts, inspirations, and creative forces that animated that mind can be recorded and can inspire another person.

Back