Is the United States a Republic or Democracy?

The Anti-Federalists were absolutely right on this point and the Federalist were completely wrong.

The Republican scheme envisioned by Madison did not contain factionalism.

Werbung:
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (..As usual..... )

:rolleyes:

re⋅pub⋅lic

 /rɪˈpʌblɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ri-puhb-lik] Show IPA
Use republic in a Sentence
See web results for republic
See images of republic
–noun
1. a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/republic

"A republic, by which I mean a government in which the scheme of representation takes place, opens a different prospect, and promises the cure for which we are seeking. Let us examine the points in which it varies from pure democracy ...", from James Madison. The Federalist, Number 10, The New York Packet, 23 Nov., 1787

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_republic

Type of government: representative democracy
form of government: federated constitutional republic

"Oh no silly, I am not a liberal or leftist. I dont threaten to leave my country when we get a president I dont like."

Instead you arrive here daily to showcase your vast ignorance with unsubstantiated claims, whines, rants and false statements. That's what Republicans and wingnuts do. The ultimate irony is the fact you accomplish nothing. It's just like a pack of stray dogs barking at the moon, all that noise but nothing results from your actions. That's a good example of why your ilk was thumped in the past two consecutive national elections.

Would you like to see who can find more cases of people either leaving or threatening to leave te country based on not getting a president they do not like?

You can throw out all the personal insults you want and you will get away with it of course.... but it does not change the facts that its generally a leftist thing to say when you do not get the person and or policys you want in office.

I think it makes you angry because you know its true, so all you have left is presonal attacks.

The thing that the video missed in its entirety is that the two are not mutually exclusive. Basically, we are both. Our form of government is a republic chosen by through democratic means. To follow along the lines of the clip, our republic is decided on by the majority.
This is largely the case in both design and practice through our government.
The problem is that this clip over simplifies things(probably to better reach its target audience) to a point where the reality doesnt fit into design, but more importantly, it completely overlooks some historical examples that dont fit into its overall agenda. Which to me seems obvious that they want to direct middle schoolers towards the GOP.
Someone could just as easily produce a 10minute video clip to fit thier agenda to be a bleeding hearted wussy liberal, because we vote for our representative in government rather than having them appointed in most cases.

That's a good summation Bunz.

A Republic is a representative democracy. It's not a full democracy because every individual does not vote on every single issue. But we still elect those who will be voting on those things by a majority vote.

re⋅pub⋅lic  /rɪˈpʌblɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ri-puhb-lik]

–noun 1. a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.

The US could be considered a representative democracy.

The Roman Republic was nothing of the sort. While everyone did get to vote, the voting was heavily skewed to the upper class.

The Anti-Federalists were absolutely right on this point and the Federalist were completely wrong.
I wouldnt say I would agree with that statement.
The Republican scheme envisioned by Madison did not contain factionalism.
Good point. I often point out that Washington wrote this as well in his farewell address.

It is neither.

The US is a one-party imperialist war-loving state with two almost identical factions.

Ineffective dissent is ignored.

Effective dissent is crushed.

Comrade Stalin

Ultimately, all systems are democracy
That'd be a big-surprise to the current-herd of Freepers & Dead-O-Heads....​

"As a great power, a large heterogeneous nation like the United States goes about as far in a theocratic direction as it can when it meets the unfortunate criteria on display in George W. Bush's Washington: an elected leader who believes himself in some way to be speaking for God; a ruling party that represents religious true believers and seeks to mobilize the nation's churches; the conviction of many rank-and-file Republicans that government should be guided by religion and religious leaders; and White House implementation of domestic and international political agendas that seem to be driven by religious motivations and biblical worldviews."

Fascist-Palin-.jpg

The US could be considered a representative democracy.

The Roman Republic was nothing of the sort. While everyone did get to vote, the voting was heavily skewed to the upper class.
Hmmmmmmmm....."a representative democracy", where all legislation is "heavily skewed to the upper class." would be more like the U.S., nowdays.​

Werbung:
Back