Lets Talk Debt

Why? You won't answer the question because you don't want to admit to the fact that we are acting against our national interests. If you - and we - would just admit what is patently obvious to the rest of the world, we'd be a giant step closer to solving our problems.

Werbung:
Why? You won't answer the question because you don't want to admit to the fact that we are acting against our national interests. If you - and we - would just admit what is patently obvious to the rest of the world, we'd be a giant step closer to solving our problems.

or maybe I just ignore strawmen such as this.
but I do understand your need to move on from your steel position.

No. Importing steel makes us a dependent nation. The same is true with oil.
What does that have to do with the national debt? As I said in my first post, you are attempting to make a correlation between our trade deficit and our national debt, that conclusion is illogical: One is private sector spending while the other is public sector spending.

Are oil company profits more important than our national interests?
It is in our national interest for US companies to be profitable, no matter the industry. You really need to explain why you believe a trade deficit causes, or contributes to, our national debt. Until you can do that, the topic of our trade deficit is merely a red herring.

Answer the question: Are oil company profits more important that our national interests?

the principle that each and every company has a right to legally make a profit is more important than energy independence.

But who is to say that selling oil hurts our energy independence? As long as we sell it at higher prices than the stuff we buy each company and the country as a whole is ahead. I suspect we become more energy independent when we sell oil at, say, a hundred dollars a barrel and buy oil at ninety dollars a barrel. This way the oil we are buying is a net lower price.

Werbung:
Answer the question: Are oil company profits more important that our national interests?

Selling oil at say a hundred dollars a barrel while simultaneously buying it at ninety dollars a barrel makes us more energy independent.

But more important than that letting oil companies direct their own actions and make a legal profit is a principle that is more important than energy independence.

Back