Modern Liberalism =- Authoritarianism

Secularism can take a lot of forms but in general it is based on freedom of religion and freedom from the government imposition of religion upon the people within a state that is neutral on matters of belief. It's an ideology - but it is no more a religion then Libertarianism or Neo-Conservatism or Classical Liberalism is. Even the Supreme Court was very specific in it's rulings - it ruled on Secular Humanism - not secularism.

Secularism is not freedom of religion, it is freedom from religion and any state that promotes secularism is, by definition, not neutral.

Religion is defined in Wikipedia (as good a source as any):

A religion is a set of common beliefs and practices generally held by a group of people, often codified as prayer, ritual, and religious law. Religion also encompasses ancestral or cultural traditions, writings, history, and mythology, as well as personal faith and mystic experience. The term "religion" refers to both the personal practices related to communal faith and to group rituals and communication stemming from shared conviction.

Yeah. We have been through that whole definition thing. Definitions of religion, like political theories rarely describe the reality. Secularism is religion and it has become the religion of the state.

Werbung:
Secularism is not freedom of religion, it is freedom from religion and any state that promotes secularism is, by definition, not neutral.

Secularism is both freedom OF and freedom FROM religion. Secularism is not athiesm.

Yeah. We have been through that whole definition thing. Definitions of religion, like political theories rarely describe the reality. Secularism is religion and it has become the religion of the state.

The problem is - whether you are aware of it or not, you are using definitions to bolster your argument as well.

The Supreme Court used definitions to make their ruling.

They ruled very specifically that secular humanism can be called a religion.

Secular humanism is not the same as secularism in either practice or definition. Secularism does not preclude the belief in religious doctrine or dieties. All it does is that it advocates: render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasars...etc. No matter how you twist it - it isn't the same as secular humanism which acknowledges no diety and a belief that morals and ethics are a product of human reasoning.

Secularism is both freedom OF and freedom FROM religion. Secularism is not athiesm.

You can't have both coyote. The freedom from part, by definition, excludes certain ideas which, by definition is not freedom of.

The problem is - whether you are aware of it or not, you are using definitions to bolster your argument as well.

The Supreme Court used definitions to make their ruling.

They ruled very specifically that secular humanism can be called a religion.

Secularism and secular humanism are one in the same with perhaps some minor differences like the differences that exist between baptists and presbyterians, and methodists, an lutherans. The fact that few people who are secularists realize that they are members of a religion is a testament to marketing genius.

You can't have both coyote. The freedom from part, by definition, excludes certain ideas which, by definition is not freedom of.

Yes, you can have both because of freedom of speech. No one can prevent you from worship (within certain societal limitations) in the public square. Likewise - no one has any right to force anyone in this country to accept their beliefs whether Baptist, Muslim or Atheist by imposing beliefs on our government and legal system. You are free to practice your beliefs short of imposing them on others. Churches are still granted tax exempt status - but not secular agencies.

A secular government protects us from the excesses of religion and ensures that all religions are free to worship in this country. If you don't like that - then you would probably be happy in a country like Saudi Arabia.

Secularism and secular humanism are one in the same with perhaps some minor differences like the differences that exist between baptists and presbyterians, and methodists, an lutherans. The fact that few people who are secularists realize that they are members of a religion is a testament to marketing genius.

No, they are not - and you haven't offered up any evidence that they are except your opinion. I offer up the point that many "secularists" are also members of specific religions and you offer up what? Not much.

The Supreme Court - which you used as an example - specifically said: Secular Humanism. Not secularism.

Secularism is nothing more or less then "Render therefore to Caesar the things are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." Not everyone is in total agreement as to where the line is drawn but that doesn't make secularism a "religion".

The difference between secularism and secular humanism is more like the difference between spiritualism - which is general aspect of many philosophies and religions, and Baptist, which is specific.

Yes, you can have both because of freedom of speech. No one can prevent you from worship (within certain societal limitations) in the public square. Likewise - no one has any right to force anyone in this country to accept their beliefs whether Baptist, Muslim or Atheist by imposing beliefs on our government and legal system. You are free to practice your beliefs short of imposing them on others. Churches are still granted tax exempt status - but not secular agencies.

Those "societal limitations" are where the authoritarian nature of liberalism and the church of secularism come into play.

A secular government protects us from the excesses of religion and ensures that all religions are free to worship in this country. If you don't like that - then you would probably be happy in a country like Saudi Arabia.

Protects us from the excess of religion while at the same time ensuring that all religions are free. You have a contradiction in terms there. If you are being protected from a thing, then that thing is, by definition, being supressed.

No, they are not - and you haven't offered up any evidence that they are except your opinion. I offer up the point that many "secularists" are also members of specific religions and you offer up what? Not much.

There is no universal law that prevents one from supporting or belonging to more than one religion. Especially if the acolytes don't even realize that one is a religion.

The Supreme Court - which you used as an example - specifically said: Secular Humanism. Not secularism.

And secularism is nothing more and nothing less than lingual shorthand for secular humanism. We may as well agree to disagree because in this instance, I am right and you are wrong and that is the black and white of it.

Those "societal limitations" are where the authoritarian nature of liberalism and the church of secularism come into play.

No, I am thinking of such societal limitations as say - animal or human sacrificing or public copulation.

Protects us from the excess of religion while at the same time ensuring that all religions are free. You have a contradiction in terms there. If you are being protected from a thing, then that thing is, by definition, being supressed.

Well, you are right and wrong because there is an inherent paradox here: if athiesm and secular humanism are considered "religions" then...what? There is no freedom "from" religion possible - at all - is there?

There is no universal law that prevents one from supporting or belonging to more than one religion. Especially if the acolytes don't even realize that one is a religion.

A religion does not exist simply based on your say-so. You've offered nothing to indicate that secularism is a religion. There is nothing in the definition of secularism - or it's practice - that fits with the definition of a religion, or it's practice.

And secularism is nothing more and nothing less than lingual shorthand for secular humanism. We may as well agree to disagree because in this instance, I am right and you are wrong and that is the black and white of it.

Uh, we may agree to disagree - I'm always willing to do it - but no, I am not wrong here. Secularism is a general term - it is not a religion no matter how much you may wish to make it so. It's the rightwing bogeyman that is constantly brought up in response to a minority of extremists who want every vestige of religion removed from public life. That doesn't make it a religion.

Well, you are right and wrong because there is an inherent paradox here: if athiesm and secular humanism are considered "religions" then...what? There is no freedom "from" religion possible - at all - is there?

Isn't that what I have been arguing? Haven't I pointed out that the religion of the modern left has genuinely involved itself into government and is working towards removing other religions from the public square making itself supreme?

Uh, we may agree to disagree - I'm always willing to do it - but no, I am not wrong here. Secularism is a general term - it is not a religion no matter how much you may wish to make it so. It's the rightwing bogeyman that is constantly brought up in response to a minority of extremists who want every vestige of religion removed from public life. That doesn't make it a religion.

Of course you are wrong, but I really don't fault you for not admitting it. It must be hard to admit that you have been duped. And I am not suggesting that extremists are trying to remove every vestige of religion from public life tomorrow. It is an incremental process. So slow, in fact, that those who are not looking (the vast majority) might never even notice. Look at the restrictions we live with today vs the restrictions that we lived with half a century ago. Now project that incremental change ahead another 25 or 50 years.

Joy. I've read the study you speak of, palerider, and am also a psych major. As you can guess, studies like this lay at the intersection of my academic interests.

I was recently in a discussion with a member of this forum who presented a study from Stanford that supposedly represented a psychological profile of conservatives. Aside from the fact that no conservatives were spoken to as a part of this “study”, some of the prime examples the “study” held up as examples of conservative thought were among the most notorious leftist tyrants of the 20th century. Joseph Stalin, Lenin, chairman Mao, and Pol Pot were apparently studies in conservativism.

That no one was actually consulted for the study is not entirely unusual -- it was not what we would consider a study itself but a "meta-study" (basically the consolidation of a large body of research into one simplified set of findings). The problem is that what was consulted was not actually research, and the analysis is itself was conducted in a pretty ludicrous way. They can easily be criticized for tailoring the data to fit the conclusion. Because the data itself is qualitative, not quantitative, they cannot be refuted mathematically.

Kerlinger did probably the best work on quantifying political ideology; he produced two separate scales for measuring conservatism and liberalism, called SAC and SAL respectively (the SA stands for social attitudes). His own findings show a strong positive correlation between SAC scores and Adorno's F scale (which measures authoritarianism) of about .74, though there are some very strong and valid criticisms of the F scale that Kerlinger himself put forth (namely that it does not properly control for response set and acquiescence bias, that Adorno's own findings are flavored by his Marxist affiliations, and that the SAC scale was designed in the late 1960's and is badly in need of revision). The correlation between SAL and the F scale, by contrast, was -.05, which is statistically insignificant. It does not mean liberals are not authoritarian, as the study's authors would say, only that they are not all authoritarian, or not consistently so. If one were to plot them on a scatterplot, they would be all over the place, with such a large amount of spread about the regression line that the correlation approaches 0.

The research is, in other words, bunk. Most people know that, except for a few swaths of academia.

Well thank you Mr. Moderator, I didn't know you had become one. I guess congratulations are in order. Meanwhile, it's quite a stretch to equate someone like Pol Pot with modern day liberalism within the U.S., I guess, it's the old liberals are commies approach.

Yes, but it makes even less sense to equate Pol Pot with modern day conservatism, which is his gripe against the study's authors.

Popeye and Palerider, I strongly recommend you both read The End of Economic Man: The Origins of Totalitarianism by Peter F. Drucker, which explores the nature of fascism and totalitarianism. One of his most ironic findings is fascism's total lack of internal consistency. It was as antiliberal as it was anticonservatism (not to mention as anticommunist as it was anticapitalist, as antisecular as it was atheistic, and so on). He was there when fascism was on the rise and has many of the old Nazi leaders, like Goebbels, on record as saying the whole thing was basically crap and they were surprised anyone with sense was following it.

My primary argument didn't necessarily deal with individual personalities so much as modern liberalism as a political theory and in practice. The goals of liberalism simply aren't compatible with freedom and reqire an authoritarian government if they are to be realized.

Isn't that what I have been arguing? Haven't I pointed out that the religion of the modern left has genuinely involved itself into government and is working towards removing other religions from the public square making itself supreme?

Except it isn't a religion - it is nothing more or less then keeping secular secular and religious religious. Religion no more belongs in the governmental sphere then the government belongs in the religious sphere.

Of course you are wrong, but I really don't fault you for not admitting it. It must be hard to admit that you have been duped. And I am not suggesting that extremists are trying to remove every vestige of religion from public life tomorrow. It is an incremental process. So slow, in fact, that those who are not looking (the vast majority) might never even notice. Look at the restrictions we live with today vs the restrictions that we lived with half a century ago. Now project that incremental change ahead another 25 or 50 years.

A century ago Native Americans were forceably Christianized. Today - an open athiest still can't get elected to public office. What restrictions do religious people live under now on a regular basis?

Except it isn't a religion - it is nothing more or less then keeping secular secular and religious religious. Religion no more belongs in the governmental sphere then the government belongs in the religious sphere.
I dont think I could have put it better.

The preceeding was a message from the RSA (religious secularists of America)

A century ago Native Americans were forceably Christianized. Today - an open athiest still can't get elected to public office. What restrictions do religious people live under now on a regular basis?

Try two centuries ago, and going back to an entirely different era in an effort to make an argument exposes the weakness in your argument in the first place.

How many examples of persecution on religious people by government agencies or their agents would you like. Hell, Christmas is coming up, take time to notice the number of instances where localities refuse to allow nativity scenes as a quick example or the number of school districts that refuse to even recognize the existence of Christmas. A plethora of examples exist all throughout the year, but the press, being particularly proud, of the liberal success of getting rid of Christmas tends to publish those victories.

The preceeding was a message from the RSA (religious secularists of America)

Here is what I find intriguing. You use definitions - legal and otherwise, to build your argument against abortion - definitions, not "in practice" - for example, the definition of "person" as opposed to what constitutes a "person" in practice. I am using the same sorts of arguments to show that secularism is not a religion but now you refuse to accept definitions as a valid argument. You can't have it both ways to suit your beliefs. What you are doing is basically is reiterating talking points from the "Christian Right" that have no basis in real life and who's only purpose is to promote their own agenda - put religion (one specific religion) into government. No matter how much you try to distort it - secularism is not a religion.

The Supreme Court - which you referenced - ruled that Secular Humanism was a religion. It was very specific. It did not say secularism. It said Secular Humanism

What is the definition of secularism? Religious skepticism or indifference. The view that religious considerations should be excluded from civil affairs or public education.

What is the definition of religion? According to Mirriam-Webster: a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Try two centuries ago, and going back to an entirely different era in an effort to make an argument exposes the weakness in your argument in the first place.

Try as late as 1928.

How many examples of persecution on religious people by government agencies or their agents would you like. Hell, Christmas is coming up, take time to notice the number of instances where localities refuse to allow nativity scenes as a quick example or the number of school districts that refuse to even recognize the existence of Christmas. A plethora of examples exist all throughout the year, but the press, being particularly proud, of the liberal success of getting rid of Christmas tends to publish those victories.

The so-called War on Christmas is largely a myth
with a very loud following. Symbols of Christmas are everywhere - trees, bells, angels, carols (religious) etc. etc. Do some people go to far in an attempt to secularize it? You bet. We are now seeing some backlash - which I agree with. But to try and equate it to a war on religion is like trying to argue that the Westboro Baptists are representative of Christianity as a whole.

coyote

Concerning abortion, I say screw the legal arguments. Abortion is either murder or it is not. Abortion stops a beating heart and stops brainwaves. To me legal arguments are sadly lacking in describing the true nature of abortion.

Those that are aborted never have the opportuinity to play TBall or go to Dance class or get on the bus for their first day of school.

Those that are aborted never get to have a birthday party or see Barney videos and never learn their ABC's.

Those that are aborted never get the opportunity to vote or take a first job or go to the Prom.

Those that are aborted never get to date and never get to experience a first kiss.

Those that are aborted never get a chance to make up their mind on issues or to read Das Kapital or Common Sense or Ayn Rand.

You either belive it is OK to deny the unborn the right to life or you don't.

You either believe it is OK to make a life or death decision for another or you don't.

You either believe the most innocent of our society (the unborn) have natural rights or you believe they don't.

No amount of legalese mumbo jumbo should take away a person's natural rights.

So our society has made great progress in guaranteeing natural rights to people of all races, places of national origins, gender (as well as all the pop culture premutations of gender).

The last time I checked, if you are a citizen and not a convicted felon, you have the right to vote. If you are confined to a wheel chair you have the same rights to building access as the non-confined. Just about every minority group now has similar rights as majority members guarnteed and enforced by law.

That is, except for the unborn.

It is the height of hypocricy to me that Libs demand rights for every pervert and deviant but deny the most basic of rights to the most innocent. And somehow, Libs say they are the compassionate and caring ones.

Yeah, right.

Werbung:
coyote

Concerning abortion, I say screw the legal arguments. Abortion is either murder or it is not. Abortion stops a beating heart and stops brainwaves. To me legal arguments are sadly lacking in describing the true nature of abortion.

Yeah, right.

I'm not arguing abortion here Invest. PaleRider and I have already covered that ground. If indeed you are truely "compassionate" you wouldn't discriminate between one human life and another...or any life - but your false compassion is limited to only life you judge "innocent". You are just as much a hypocrite.

Back