New Country!

Poolee

A large landmass the size of Alaska has recently surface in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Nothing is known about this island and no one has yet laid claim to it. You are a part of a group of "pilgrims" that is headed to the "new world". You reach the island before anybody else and it is now yours. How are you going to run this new country? (sorry I'm extremely bored and thought I'd try this out)

Werbung:
A How are you going to run this new country? (sorry I'm extremely bored and thought I'd try this out)

First things first. Lock down the borders. Then do the next necessary thing -- build a cemetary and prison.

As far as gov't goes -- raise a military (levy low taxes -- say 3% --to raise army), build the infrastructure (roads, bridges, etc.) and get the hell out of people's lives.

Raise a military? To defend what? This sparsely habited population on a rock of ice? Iceland have no real military, I've been there, and I didn't get attacked by a terrorist or killed by a bunch of gun wielding vigilanties.

All you need is a decent police force there.

First things first. Lock down the borders. Then do the next necessary thing -- build a cemetary and prison.

As far as gov't goes -- raise a military (levy low taxes -- say 3% --to raise army), build the infrastructure (roads, bridges, etc.) and get the hell out of people's lives.

I keep on telling you all they have no intentions on closing the borders. and theyre not going to period they are going to collapse the dollar create the Amero and the North American Union Youll see

Raise a military? To defend what? This sparsely habited population on a rock of ice? Iceland have no real military, I've been there, and I didn't get attacked by a terrorist or killed by a bunch of gun wielding vigilanties.

All you need is a decent police force there.

A military for the common defense of your country. Say you strike gold (or some other valuable jewel) and your neighbor tries to invade you. Then what?

The question posed was what should the gov't do. First and foremost, in opinion, a government's job is to provide for the common defense. The only way to do this is through a well-trained military.

If you have something people would regard as worth attacking you for, then yes, you need a military. But if you don't have that, then why bother?

Ok. I'll add that the largest supply of oil on the planet is located right next to the largest diamond mine in the world on this country.

Ok. I'll add that the largest supply of oil on the planet is located right next to the largest diamond mine in the world on this country.

Well then, there's not much more than I've already said. The government needs to secure the borders and build necessary infrastructure immediately.

After that, it needs to sustain said infrastructure as well as maintaining a well-equipped and well-trained military. Aside from this, stay the hell out of people's lives. Let them keep their money. Let them provide for themselves and their families. Let them practice whatever religion they want. Let them live how they want.

Thats fair enough then. You would need something guarding you. As for your other points USMC, I couldn't agree more, let people do what they want. Only help when asked is usually a good motto for the government.

Thats fair enough then. You would need something guarding you. As for your other points USMC, I couldn't agree more, let people do what they want. Only help when asked is usually a good motto for the government.

But will the government be listening. If the present is any indication, then the people are screwed.

Watch out for Halliburton

If this island is in the middle of the Atlantic with the world's biggest diamond mine and oil supply, the first thing the government should do is acquire nuclear weapons so they don't end up like Iraq;) ;) ;)

Werbung:
I like USMC's ideas. If I was sitting on top of the worlds largest oil reserves the first thing I would do is make to break ties with OPEC and offer oil cheaper than they can. The revenue from those sales would fuel country growth, which would be used to form a more sustainable source of income for the country.

Back