No more MySpace

Koios

Students at St. Hugo of the Hills must delete pages on Web site today or risk suspension

Students at a suburban Catholic school are being ordered to take down their photos, snappy comments, or anything else they may have posted on MySpace.com.

Today is the deadline for students at St. Hugo of the Hills Catholic School to follow orders or risk suspension. School Principal Sister Margaret Van Velzen sent letters home to parents this week saying, in part, that if families allow children to continue their MySpace.com sites, they will not be allowed to return to school. The school plans to use its computer-savvy staff members to monitor the site for student activity. The principal declined comment, but St. Hugo office manager Judy Martinek said the principal just wants to keep the students safe.
Read more here.

Well, I'm not the biggest fan of myspace but I wonder if this might bring about new and perhaps bigger problems.... What do you guys think?

Werbung:
I think it's messed up.
I'm not a fan of myspace either because it's owned by Rupert Murdoch and they are heavy handed with the bulletins but I still think the school has no right.

Werbung:
This isn't exactly new news. My school from 6 years ago was policing student activity on the internet, going so far as to ban the use of a polling site that we commonly used citing certain polls as insensitive and were likely to hurt feelings poll topics included "Favorite Teacher, Hottest Girl in Grade, Funniest Guy...etc" I mean if this bothers you there are schools out there where male and female students are not even allowed to make eye contact (making eye babies).

I do like the fact that parents and schools think that if they delete these myspace pages then their kids are going to be safe. I still don't understand why parents and schools find controlling kids more effective then speaking to them. I mean all that you need is to tell them "don't be stupid" and that usually gets the job done.

Back