Palin losing favor at home....

Bunz

Hi folks,
I have been having internet issues the last few days and havent been around much. But I thought I would share this editorial. It sums up pretty well the way many Alaskans have come to feel about Sarah since about the first of July, a full 7 weeks before her nomination.
I have said before, I dont know who is really running the State of Alaska. It is not Sarah Palin, and Lt. Governor Parnell has been seen or heard from since he lost the Congressional primary to Don Young. Every public statement about Alaskan State affairs has come from a "McCain campaign spokesperson"
She has completely alienated the State Legislature, has seen an utter reversal or support among Alaskans, especially from those in the western portion, where she enjoyed overwhelming support.

I hope for her sake she wins the VP job, because her return to Alaska might be a lot more frosty than her last one, and what 6 months ago would have been a shoe in for re-election might become a one term flash in the pan.

Palin losing friends on the home front

MICHAEL CAREY
COMMENT

Published: September 29th, 2008 10:38 PM
Last Modified: September 29th, 2008 11:02 PM

Sarah Palin may be making new friends as she campaigns the nation, but at home, she's making new enemies. She better get elected vice president. If she returns to Alaska as governor, the reception will be frosty -- and not because winter has arrived.

In the last month, Palin has become something inconceivable during her first two years as the state's chief executive: A polarizing figure rapidly emptying the storehouse of good will she accumulated.

For starters, her relationship with the press has collapsed -- by her choice. She rarely talks to reporters. Her attack on the "media elite" at the Republican National Convention should have embarrassed her. There is no media elite in Alaska, and she generally received favorable press, except from a few conservative dissenters, as a candidate for governor and as governor.

You say she was unhappy with the eastern media, not the local scribes when she spoke to the convention. Well, during her recent visit to New York City she attended a dinner put together by Rupert Murdoch who, according to gossip columnist Cindy Adams, "piloted Sarah around" during the evening. Murdoch is one of the world's most influential media barons. Also present was Cathy Black, president of Hearst Magazines. Other VIPS on hand at Tao on 58th Street, where a Kobe rib eye steak costs $88, included Sarah Ferguson, Martha Stewart, designer Vera Wang and the Queen of Jordan. Not the media elite -- just the elite.

Troopergate was once a provincial tempest in a teapot that could have been resolved with minimal recriminations. Now it's a full-fledged partisan battle, and the search for truth has become the hunt for a diamond in a cesspool.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Hollis French deserves criticism for his clumsy response once Troopergate went national: He should have never used the word "impeachment" in any context. But the bulk of this responsibility for the ugly mess falls on Palin herself, who can't separate her personal life from her professional life, Attorney General Talis Colberg, who can't figure out if he works for the people of Alaska or the Palin family, and the hammerheads sent up here by John McCain to run the local McCain-Palin campaign. Like their masters, these guys will tell any old tale about Hollis French, the Democrats and the media as long as it advances their cause. Remember Rudy Guiliani and Karl Rove touting Palin's military experience as commander of the national guard? And her foreign policy experience because Alaska is near Russia? Pants-on-fire lies, but hey, who needs facts when you have talking points provided by headquarters in Washington.

Investigator Steve Branchflower be warned. If you issue a report on Troopergate before the election in any fashion critical of Gov. Palin, you can expect to be made to look like a war criminal. Or worse.

Thanks to Troopergate, the relationship Palin established with Democrats during two legislative sessions -- the trust and accommodation she needed to pass her gas-line and oil-tax legislation -- no longer exists.

Throughout her political career, Palin has benefited from establishing and exploiting contrast favorable to her. The contrast between Palin the woman-of-integrity and dishonest Republican bosses. The contrast between the fresh new Palin and ham-handed incumbent fossil Gov. Frank Murkowski. The contrast between woman-of-the-people Palin and the public-be-damned oil companies. Even the contrast between young, vital Palin and aging, stiff John McCain -- which perversely enough has helped John McCain in the polls.

Now Palin stands in contrast with herself, before and after her nomination. And there's no benefit for her -- at least not in Alaska where she is still the governor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Carey is the former editorial page editor of the Anchorage Daily News.

Werbung:
Well look at the bright side, if she sucks as bad as you think then your Lord Obama should win in a landslide.

and then when she comes crawling back to Alaska filled with shame you all can take turns slapping her and then recall her :)

I can't wait for the VP debate.

There is no way she will remember all her lines

It is going to be interesting to watch/hear. She took some heat in the AK Gov debates for using notes. I truly hope for her sake she doesnt crash and burn. She has been practicing quite a bit for this debate. If she shows she isnt a complete doof, and seems comfortable talking about the various issues, it will be some victory for her.

The wildcard here is going to be Biden. He needs to not screw up, be sharp and charasmatic.

I wonder if the media will bow to republican requests to go easy on her.

I sincerely hope not.

And the US should not want them to.

You should want to know just how bad this candidate is.

And how stupid McCain is for choosing her.

Hi folks,
I have been having internet issues the last few days and havent been around much. But I thought I would share this editorial. It sums up pretty well the way many Alaskans have come to feel about Sarah since about the first of July, a full 7 weeks before her nomination.

Bunz, I've spent a good bit of time going back and reviewing some of the other threads and posts on the issue of Palin, and to be honest, you remind me a lot of all of the people in Alabama who thought that George Wallace was the right hand of God, until he started his presidential campaign, and all of a sudden they weren't happy with him at all. Hypocritical, two faced, and completely dishonest. I also challenge the veracity of your claims of feelings of disenfranchisement on the part of Alaskans "a full 7 weeks before her nomination", because it's the same names keep popping up when related to the alleged "dissatisfaction" with her, which means that these are the same people who didn't support her to begin with. In fact, it seems that the only people who don't like her/didn't vote for her are the same ones that are either die hard liberals standing around with their hands out looking for a free ride, or they're in the pockets of the oil companies and are p/o'd at her because she told Conoco and BP that their free ride was over.

It is going to be interesting to watch/hear. She took some heat in the AK Gov debates for using notes. I truly hope for her sake she doesnt crash and burn. She has been practicing quite a bit for this debate. If she shows she isnt a complete doof, and seems comfortable talking about the various issues, it will be some victory for her.

The wildcard here is going to be Biden. He needs to not screw up, be sharp and charasmatic.

Oh GOD, she used notes!?!?!? Using that sad excuse for logic, I suppose Abraham Lincoln was a blithering idiot, because he always used notes, in every debate, incuding the famous Lincoln/Douglas debates.

I'm surprised that the Alaska "Green Earthers" haven't gone after her for not using "Earth friendly" tampons and pads! This is so far beyond sad as to be almost comical.

Werbung:

I think it is so strange that you never had a sour word to say about Sarah Palin until she was named VP for the GOP ticket. Now nothing she has ever done in the past is right and nothing she currently does is right. The way you talk about her is as though you have hated her guts from day one. But in reality you have never spoken a word against her until she was put on the GOP ticket against "The One" and Only, Obama.

Now we find out she can’t debate correctly, we find out that she has shown zero interest in national politics. (Still not sure how you know that unless you have been stalking her for years.) She couldn’t make a decent decision as a Mayor and now as a Gov.

But just 8 weeks ago there was nothing... not one negative word and you have talked about Alaska many times.

I thought maybe her family did you wrong in some way but now I realize it’s just about Obama and anyone who dares to challenge him is a threat to Obama followers / worshipers.

So, Ill just take it all with a grain of salt, or maybe Ill just take the salt :)

Back