Political Pet Topics - What are yours?

PoliticalGrrrl

Out of all the political agendas, ideas and programs... which ones do you hold near and dear to your heart - or which ones sit in the pit of your gut, slowly burning a hole in your stomach giving you political indigestion?

To get us started, here are a few of mine:

Abortion - While I wouldn't have it for myself and I don't necessarily believe that it should be performed, I don't feel as though it is my place to judge/rule over someone else. The person(s) involved in such a decision will have to answer for themselves in one way or another, and I believe that such a decision should not be made by any large governing body.

Gay marriage - I could care less if homosexuals want to get married. It doesn't infringe upon my rights and again, I don't see how this is any business of the government. In my opinion, marriage is a religious matter and in the case of divorce, a legal contract that has been broken.

Taxes - Flat tax across the board, abolishing all other taxes. 3% would do nicely for a flat tax percentage.

Firearms - I'm a staunch 2nd Amendment supporter.

Election reform - We desperately need election reform in this country. Doing away with all political 'parties' in my opinion, would be a start. I don't necessarily believe in doing away with the electoral college, but I will admit to being at a loss at how we could run elections without the popular vote running all. The smaller states would be screwed when it came to having their voice heard at election time... however, I don't really think their voices are being heard now. So what to do? It needs work.

Foreign policy - I don't believe we should be in the business of policing the world. I believe we should worry about keeping our country safe and focus more on taking care of our own business (citizens, domestic policy, etc...), instead of running off and getting our noses into something that we have no business getting our noses into.

Welfare reform - Another program that is draining our country financially. While I do NOT believe that social programs need to be cut off at the knees, do DO believe that many of these welfare programs need to be reeled in. I fully understand that people sometimes fall on hard times and will need some sort of assistance in trying to get back on their feet and on to becoming (once again) contributing members of society. I do NOT however, believe that we should keep the money nipple in the mouths of people who are making no attempt at trying to be self sufficient contributing members of society. Some need their hands forced, but we should give those that are willing to do what needs to be done, the chance to get back on their feet.

Those are just a few of mine... there are more. Let's have a good back and forth as I'm very interested in what others pet political project/ideas/opinions are.

Werbung:
Quite a few pet topics there, PG. I don't care so much for the abortion or gay debates, I find them highly repetitive and boring.

My pet issues would have to be taxes, gun control, and foreign policy. I enjoy debating historical topics the best though, specifically ones where the Founders' intent is called into play.

Deficit Spending - I think the government should have to run a balanced budget unless an exception is passed by a 2/3 majority of congress. I find the borrow and spend policies of the republicans worse than the tax and spend policies of the democrats. But I would much rather see smaller government and lower taxes with a balanced budget. Where in particular I would cut, well there needs to be some balance, but I think the military spending as much as the rest of the world combined is ridiculous. I think the pet projects and earmarks should be completely transparent and the president should get the line item veto.

Transparancy of Government - I find that in general, the government is too secretive. Certainly there is some occasion where there is a need to protect spys or secret weapons programs, etc. But I believe in the rule of law, and that requires that the laws be clear.

Liberty - I believe that you should be able to live your life free to do what you want unless you are victimizing others. But the government should have no right to warrentless wiretap my phone, or tap into my bank records. Heck, if I want to put carry more than $10,000 in cash, I should be able to without worrying that I will get pulled over and the cops take it away. If I want to smoke a joint in my house, then I should not have to worry about being sent to jail. If I want to wear a shirt that says "Bush Stinks" at one of his rallies, I should not have to go to a designated protest zone a mile away. If my first grader draws a stick figure shooting a gun, he should not be expelled. And this also means that abortions should be legal during at least the first trimester and gays should be able to have the legal benefits afforded to heterosexual couples.

Election Reform. And I also believe election reform is needed to abolish the two party system and allow more contested elections. Right now you have two primaries, one caters to the right wing, one caters to the left wing. Then the election is a choice of too far right or too far left. Where is the socially liberal fiscal conservative party? In fact, where is the fiscal conservative party at all?

You raise a number of excellent points, HD. While there are certainly a few points where we disagree (for instance, I believe that abortion conflicts with your concept of liberty -- do whatever you want so long as it doesn't hurt anybody else), I find your positions well thought-out and sincere and I could get behind most of what you say.

the two most important issues to me are...

Election Reform - I believe election reform is the most important issue of the 21st century. Yes, it's a bigger issue than terrorism. Whether it's gerrymandering the crap out of the House of Reps (by both parties), stolen elections and electronic voting, vote caging, swift voting, lobbying and interest groups... the election system in America has become Vegas and Americans are playing against the house. This is not a Left-Right/Dem-Rep issue, this is an American issue.

Foreign Policy - Until America realizes and accepts that it is the creator of it's own problems, our Foreign Policy will continue to be the single most dangerous threat to our safety. Our interventionist nature and Capitalism driven Nation Building has made us enemy numero uno to the middle east, southern Asia, and most of the developing 3rd world as well. We are making enemies far faster than we can start civil wars in their countries.

other issues...

Tax reform - I am not an economist. But I could definitely do without the Income Tax. Abolishing the Federal Reserve sounds good to, but my lack of knowledge in this area prevents me getting fully behind the idea.

Welfare Reform - I believe the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 passed by Clinton and a Republican Congress was a step in the right direction. Welfare is not going away, continuous reform and bipartisan efforts could make it a respectable program that both sides of the table can accept. America doesn't have to be a place of suffering or a place of handouts. There is plenty of common American ground here for both sides to keep working towards.

Constitutional Republic - End the Cheney driven Executive power grab. Separation of Power. Open the gov't up to be as transparent as possible. Return to a Govt of the People, for the People, and by the People... put an end to a Gov't of the Elite, For the Rich, and by the Corrupt. A Congress with a backbone would be a nice start.

Gay Marriage/Abortion - The most sickening thing to me is that these two issues are the two issues that can most clearly define who's a Democrat and who's a Republican in today's America (except in Rudy's case of course). It's a perfect example of how wrong things are in America. Gay's marrying is fine by me, "special rights" and definitions of marriage is a bunch of hoo ha. Abortion should be a state's issue. Personally, I find Abortion disgusting. But i believe in personal liberty over unborn first trimester fetus liberty. But at the end of the day, these issues are far from important to me.

Werbung:
My most important ones are:

1) where the government spends its money, because its either thrown down the pisser by the disorganised government we have in the UK, or spent on things which are far less important than the unadressed problems.

2) getting the government a bit more out of my life, my home etc.

Back