Roe v Wade is now safe

Popeye

Certainly one of the byproducts of President elect Obama's ( that does sound good doesn't it?) historic victory will be his ability to put an abrupt end to the right wing takeover of the Supreme Court. Obama's nominations will be more in line with the views of the majority of the American people...and Roe V Wade is safe, at least for now.

Roberts, Scalia, and Uncle Thomas best move over, the liberals are coming!

Werbung:
Certainly one of the byproducts of President elect Obama's ( that does sound good doesn't it?) historic victory will be his ability to put an abrupt end to the right wing takeover of the Supreme Court. Obama's nominations will be more in line with the views of the majority of the American people...and Roe V Wade is safe, at least for now.

Breathing a sigh of relief. I think yesterday was a resounding "no" to the really radical anti-choice rights folks that have tried to control the Republican party. The amendment in S Dakota that could have prohibited abortion and challenged Roe was not passed by the people even in such a conservative state. Here in Colorado, Amendment 48, which defined personhood at the moment of conception, lost by a gigantic margin. I think people in America are more moderate than that. :)

The only sad news for me on the whole "social/cultural war" issue was the passing of a bill in Arkansas that prohibits gay couples from adopting. That is truly the sorriest thing I have ever heard of. And I find it shameful and terribly sad that some people felt this was important enough to actually enact legislation this hateful.

Isnt it great. we can kill our children for any reason on demand until their due date, and if that little rat finds a way to be born alive anyway, there is a soiled utility room with thier name on it.

I think we should pass a law that all children carved out of their mothers (and I use the term mother lightly) should be sacrificed on the alter of Obama.

maybe for his birthday to honor him women can get pregnant and kill the kid in his honor.

Isnt it great. we can kill our children for any reason on demand until their due date, and if that little rat finds a way to be born alive anyway, there is a soiled utility room with thier name on it.

I think we should pass a law that all children carved out of their mothers (and I use that term lightly) should be sacrificed on the alter of Obama.

maybe for his birthday to honor him women can get pregnant and kill the kid in his honor.

Sounds like you've got a case of sour grapes going on this morning.

BTW, appears Gregoire has won reelection, all the networks have called the race and though she's well ahead Rossi refuses to concede.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/individual/#mapGWA

Sounds like you've got a case of sour grapes going on this morning.

BTW, appears Gregoire has won reelection, all the networks have called the race and though she's well ahead Rossi refuses to concede.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/individual/#mapGWA

is she way ahead due to finding more balots in basements or by existing balots? i have not heard but since she did that trick last time I dunno.

coleman is ahead in minn but not by much, I wouldnt be surpised if she wins and he does too, i think even my mayor lost.

no popeye i wouldnt call it sour grapes. human life really is valuable to me and any one to be happy that we get to kill more humans will never set right with me no matter who wins an election.

you cant possibly expect conservative people to wake up and say oh ok we are now going to accept abortion for any reason, basic socialim exc.

just like you did not accept the things bush wanted for the last 8 years we can not accept what obama wants for the next 4

is she way ahead due to finding more balots in basements or by existing balots? i have not heard but since she did that trick last time I dunno.

coleman is ahead in minn but not by much, I wouldnt be surpised if she wins and he does too, i think even my mayor lost.

no popeye i wouldnt call it sour grapes. human life really is valuable to me and any one to be happy that we get to kill more humans will never set right with me no matter who wins an election.

you cant possibly expect conservative people to wake up and say oh ok we are now going to accept abortion for any reason, basic socialim exc.

just like you did not accept the things bush wanted for the last 8 years we can not accept what obama wants for the next 4

She's ahead by some 114,000 votes and about 8%. Though there's only 55% counted, at this point in 2004 Rossi led statewide...many of the ballots yet to be counted are from King County.

We also passed I 1000..allowing physician assisted suicide, it's virtually identical to your Death with Dignity law. Now Wa and Oregon are the only two states in the country allowing such a practice. Good for us.

I don't expect you to change your views on abortion but I would hope that, with Obama's victory, you would see the reality of the situation...Roe v Wade is now safe and abortion will remain the law of the land, not to be threatened for many years to come, if ever.

She's ahead by some 114,000 votes and about 8%. Though there's only 55% counted, at this point in 2004 Rossi led statewide...many of the ballots yet to be counted are from King County.

We also passed I 1000..allowing physician assisted suicide, it's virtually identical to your Death with Dignity law. Now Wa and Oregon are the only two states in the country allowing such a practice. Good for us.

I don't expect you to change your views on abortion but I would hope that, with Obama's victory, you would see the reality of the situation...Roe v Wade is now safe and abortion will remain the law of the land, not to be threatened for many years to come, if ever.

Oh I see the reality of it for sure, I knew that reality would come to be if he were elected. I consider it sad and inhumane.

If your ass. suicide is like ours thats horrible, ours isnt done very well at all. when it first past people were doctor shopping for thier parents who really didnt want to die, and the way you die is not dignified at all, its a long and painful process. I voted for it the first time becaues I thought it was much like when you have your dog put to sleep but it turned out that its more humane the way they put a dog down. My grandmother lives in washington now and her son would love to doctor shop I am sure.... so thats a bit scary for me.

fox called the gov race for the horrible wench :(

Oh I see the reality of it for sure, I knew that reality would come to be if he were elected. I consider it sad and inhumane.

If your ass. suicide is like ours thats horrible, ours isnt done very well at all. when it first past people were doctor shopping for thier parents who really didnt want to die, and the way you die is not dignified at all, its a long and painful process. I voted for it the first time becaues I thought it was much like when you have your dog put to sleep but it turned out that its more humane the way they put a dog down. My grandmother lives in washington now and her son would love to doctor shop I am sure.... so thats a bit scary for me.

fox called the gov race for the horrible wench :(

I think you've been listening to too many scare stories. There are all sorts of safeguards built into I 1000. The anti I 1000 crowd were running ads claiming poor and old people were going to be pressured to die, stuff like that. They even had normally liberal Martin Sheen doing an ad...didn't work, people here feel people have a right to make their own decisions, it's passing with almost 60% of the vote.

Some interesting points have come up in this thread. I personally would like to see a federal law enacted that addresses rights of viable fetus versus the right of women to choose -- in other words, I would like to see clear limits placed on the circumstances under which an abortion is legal when a viable fetus is involved. Things I would consider legitimate reasons to abort after viability would be rape, incest, mother's health and severe fetal abnormality.

Some interesting points have come up in this thread. I personally would like to see a federal law enacted that addresses rights of viable fetus versus the right of women to choose -- in other words, I would like to see clear limits placed on the circumstances under which an abortion is legal when a viable fetus is involved. Things I would consider legitimate reasons to abort after viability would be rape, incest, mother's health and severe fetal abnormality.

But even if we were able to get that and we wont, who decides what severe fetal abnormality is? some would say deaf, blind missing a hand. and also what does health of the mother mean? mental health state? Oh ill be so depressed if I have to have that baby?

and the bottom line is why? why have any limits at all. if we are talking about a human life there should be no compromise. life is life.

well one compromise I can see is this. If a woman becomes pregnant in the felopian tube (spelling) there is no way that child can live and there is no way a woman can carry that child. That situation there is no other choice.
or if a womans body clearly can not handle the pregnancy.

I also think that there should be laws saying if a woman does not want her child she can not be held liable for leaving the child in the hosptial and the adoptive family would pay the hospital bill when adopting the child.

The only way to reduce abortions is for private groups, churches, familys who are pro life and things like that to help educate people on it and also make possible ways for women who are pregnant with chidlren they dont really want to be pregnant with carry to term. I would be willing to let a woman who was pregnant and didnt really want the baby but was willing to carry to term live at my house or help her by bringing her food or what ever I could, I would help find a family to adopt and pay her medical bills. I know I am not alone, we just need to organize.

but as for abortions, the future is clear, any time any reason at any lenght of prenancy, and our tax dollars will pay for it.

also there is a bill that obama promised to sign into law where kids can get abortions without parent concent, so educating our kids is pretty dang importand and being close enough with our sons and daughters that they would come to us rather than that big iron brick weighing on our backs called the GOVERNMENT

It sounds to me as if there still are some who believe that passing a law limiting abortion would actually limit abortion.

There are better ways to reduce the abortion rate, ways that actually work. Passing laws against something you see as bad doesn't necessarily fix the problem.

It's a whole lot like drug laws. We pass laws, and put up signs reading "drug free zone", but the incidence of drug addiction remains high.

Drug addiction is higher in the US than in the Netherlands, where druggies do their thing openly.

We pass traffic laws, and put up signs advising drivers that the speed limit is 55. If you go 55, even 60, the right to speed drivers will aggressively tailgate, pass against traffic, and give you the finger as they pass.

Simply passing laws doesn't solve the problem, whether it involves abortion, drugs, or anything else.

Breathing a sigh of relief. I think yesterday was a resounding "no" to the really radical anti-choice rights folks that have tried to control the Republican party. The amendment in S Dakota that could have prohibited abortion and challenged Roe was not passed by the people even in such a conservative state. Here in Colorado, Amendment 48, which defined personhood at the moment of conception, lost by a gigantic margin. I think people in America are more moderate than that. :)

The only sad news for me on the whole "social/cultural war" issue was the passing of a bill in Arkansas that prohibits gay couples from adopting. That is truly the sorriest thing I have ever heard of. And I find it shameful and terribly sad that some people felt this was important enough to actually enact legislation this hateful.

Yes it was a great day for women and freedom from radical neo-con rule my friend. And I wouldn't be too awful worried about the couple of crazy things that still slipped through the cracks.

Things that are way out of touch for our times almost always either receive court intervention or with a little effort and a new sense of urgency because the new restrictions are so ridiculous... come up for another vote and are reversed.

Roe being safe was huge. The other things will work themselves out with a little time.

Yes it was a great day for women and freedom from radical neo-con rule my friend. And I wouldn't be too awful worried about the couple of crazy things that still slipped through the cracks.

Things that are way out of touch for our times almost always either receive court intervention or with a little effort and a new sense of urgency because the new restrictions are so ridiculous... come up for another vote and are reversed.

Roe being safe was huge. The other things will work themselves out with a little time.

Yes,

just such a joy to know we still have some types of legal murder

Its such a great thing we should have a national abort your child day, were we can all celebrate that joyful freedom.

Wonder how palerider is feeling today on that definite, for sure, force women back to the Stone Age, throw women in jail for having jurisdiction over their own bodies, Anti-Choice stance?

I told him pale old fellow... ain't gonna happen.:D

Werbung:
Obama's nominations will be more in line with the views of the majority of the American people...
Interesting..

Once appointed, Justices effectively have life tenure, serving "during good Behaviour,"[1] which terminates only upon death, resignation, retirement, or conviction on impeachment.

Is he planning on someone dying in the next four years? Unless that happens, he doesn't get to appoint ANYBODY!

Back