Schools equate Christianity to Terrorism

Multigraph

What Schools Are Teaching Our Kids

Note: This commentary was delivered by Prison Fellowship President Mark Earley.

Two-and-a-half years ago, Islamic terrorists took 1,200 people hostage at a school in the Russian city of Beslan. They ultimately slaughtered 344 people, including 186 children. The attack brought back memories of the 1999 massacre at Columbine High School, in which two disaffected students shot to death twelve classmates and a teacher.

It is no surprise, then—especially after September 11—that a New Jersey school district felt the need to practice anti-terrorism drills. What shocked students was who the mock terrorists were supposed to be: homeschooling Christian fundamentalists.

It’s another example of how openly those hostile to any forms of Christianity express their contempt.

The anti-terrorism drill was organized by the Burlington Township Police Department. According to the Burlington County Times,the drill scenario described intruders as “members of a right-wing fundamentalist group called the ‘New Crusaders’ who do not believe in separation of church and state.” The storyline also says the mock terrorists were angry because the daughter of one gunman was expelled from school for praying in class. The drill “specified that two armed men invade the high school . . . shoot several students in the hallways, then barricade themselves in the media center with 10 student hostages.”

Not surprisingly, Christian students, parents, and local pastors were upset about Christians being portrayed this way, and conservative media outlets expressed outrage. In response,

Werbung:
What Schools Are Teaching Our Kids

Note: This commentary was delivered by Prison Fellowship President Mark Earley.

Two-and-a-half years ago, Islamic terrorists took 1,200 people hostage at a school in the Russian city of Beslan. They ultimately slaughtered 344 people, including 186 children. The attack brought back memories of the 1999 massacre at Columbine High School, in which two disaffected students shot to death twelve classmates and a teacher.

It is no surprise, then—especially after September 11—that a New Jersey school district felt the need to practice anti-terrorism drills. What shocked students was who the mock terrorists were supposed to be: homeschooling Christian fundamentalists.

It’s another example of how openly those hostile to any forms of Christianity express their contempt.

The anti-terrorism drill was organized by the Burlington Township Police Department. According to the Burlington County Times,the drill scenario described intruders as “members of a right-wing fundamentalist group called the ‘New Crusaders’ who do not believe in separation of church and state.” The storyline also says the mock terrorists were angry because the daughter of one gunman was expelled from school for praying in class. The drill “specified that two armed men invade the high school . . . shoot several students in the hallways, then barricade themselves in the media center with 10 student hostages.”

Not surprisingly, Christian students, parents, and local pastors were upset about Christians being portrayed this way, and conservative media outlets expressed outrage. In response,

Christians have been responsible for more terrorist attacks in this country than Muslims have.

I know!

There are too many Christian fanatics (or other religious fanatics) and someone needs to calm their asses down.

How can they not see the contradictions within the Christian doctrine? Anyone with a brain can figure it out.

I believe that religious extremism has no place in public schools anyhow....period!

My son's school system banned Christian religious observances like Christmas and thanksgiving from class and school calendars. No big deal to me, until they decided to spend a day in history class discussing Ramadan. I politely asked them to reconsider in light of their removal of all Christian topics. When they refused I told them not to expect my son in school that day. Problem solved.

School should be about education, not religious and political agenda's.
How pathetic is our public education system that it cannot grasp this.

-Castle

Christians have been responsible for more terrorist attacks in this country than Muslims have.

Well, I guess if you count every vandalism or bombing of abortion clinics AND you just assume that they are Christians, you could be right. I dont believe there have been ANY attacks this century. In the last 50 years there have been 4?-5? deaths at the hands of so called Christian terrorists. in the last 7 years there have been 3000 deaths at the hands of Muslim terrorists.
MARK

Well, I guess if you count every vandalism or bombing of abortion clinics AND you just assume that they are Christians, you could be right. I dont believe there have been ANY attacks this century. In the last 50 years there have been 4?-5? deaths at the hands of so called Christian terrorists. in the last 7 years there have been 3000 deaths at the hands of Muslim terrorists.
MARK

Timothy McVeigh was a Christian.

My son's school system banned Christian religious observances like Christmas and thanksgiving from class and school calendars. No big deal to me, until they decided to spend a day in history class discussing Ramadan. I politely asked them to reconsider in light of their removal of all Christian topics. When they refused I told them not to expect my son in school that day. Problem solved.

I still think that students should learn about religion and religious doctrines. There's a difference between practicing and learning about something. If they learn about it in an objective way (which is supposed to be the purpose of school) then they can make up their own minds about whether or not it's something they believe.

Timothy McVeigh was a Christian.

He wasn't exactly fighting the name of Christianity, though, was he?

The Branch-Dividians are a better example. And there's always the Jonestown incident, which was overwhelmingly American even if it didn't happen on American soil. And there's the KKK, which derives many of its prejudices from the isolationist Protestant ethics of the early nineteenth century (the idea that the KKK is purely anti-black is a myth - for a while they were primarily an anti-Catholic group).

All Roads lead to Elohim City.

Huh?

I've never heard of any religious connections to Timothy McVeigh...do tell, I'd be very interested to hear about them.

If you want to see something sick, go on YouTube and look up Timothy McVeigh. You'll find an obscene number of tribute videos, declaring him a hero and a martyr. Scary stuff.

I believe that religious extremism has no place in public schools anyhow....period!

School should be about education, not religious and political agenda's.
How pathetic is our public education system that it cannot grasp this.

-Castle

You make a good point. In the old days the vast, vast majority of students in any given school were Christians. Now the public schools are so mixed that it is unfair to force a certain set of religious holidays across the board. I still like to see the kids get a little holiday break at school but there are ways to make them multi-denominational and all inclusive.

No one, especially a kid, likes to feel like the odd one out.

You make a good point. In the old days the vast, vast majority of students in any given school were Christians. Now the public schools are so mixed that it is unfair to force a certain set of religious holidays across the board. I still like to see the kids get a little holiday break at school but there are ways to make them multi-denominational and all inclusive.

No one, especially a kid, likes to feel like the odd one out.

But would you agree that religions should still be taught, if not practiced?

I still think that students should learn about religion and religious doctrines. There's a difference between practicing and learning about something. If they learn about it in an objective way (which is supposed to be the purpose of school) then they can make up their own minds about whether or not it's something they believe.
.....and this would be fine also, as long as the school system does not disqualify one and embrace another. I would prefer that religious studies be optional.

-Castle

Religion itself is a matter of choice. You can choose christianity, you can choose islam. Choice has a place in all aspects of life, however being that it IS a choice, one should not be expected to make a certain choice regarding the belief of an optional aspect of life.

Let's take a sidestep here and use Art as an example.

In school, Art is often taught, no one has a problem here. Why? Because you'll never have a teacher who will force upon a student that they must believe that the reason an artist painted his painting the way he did due to a specific opinion and treat it as if it is fact. Religion has problems being treated as art and literature are treated in this. It often becomes inflammatory because you have many people with preconceived notions about religions. If a religion is taught in a class with a pure objectivity you will still have a subset of students who will feel the need to express their preconceptions. Everyone sees something different in the Arts and Lits, religion has larger cohesive groups. If a teacher says that a painting expresses the artists depression and distaste for his living conditions, a student may disagree without backlash. Try this with religion. I think this is the difficulty in teaching religion. Objectivity is way to difficult.

Werbung:
Back