The Bible; The Unabridged-Version

Aren't all of the awful things being described as having been condoned by the Bible, the slavery, beating of slaves, etc., all from the Old Testament?

And aren't the teachings of Jesus found in the New Testament?

Doesn't the New Testament supplant the old? Why do we need all of the eye for an eye and stoning adulterers stuff that is being cited? Jesus' teachings are really very simple:

Love thy neighbor as thyself,
Do unto others as you would have them to do unto you,
Turn the other cheek
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone
Judge not that ye be not judged

Sounds really simple, not that Christians have historically followed those teachings, of course, but isn't that what Christianity is all about?

And, wouldn't this world be a far better place if even a clear majority of people were to follow that simple philosophy?

Excellent points, PLC1, I'd be a Christian if it was about the teachings of Jesus, but it's not, it's about all the stuff in the Bible. Some Christian sects say that Jesus fulfilled the law and the new teachings supercede the old, some sects disagree, the Bible is ambiguous on this just like it's ambiguous on all kinds of things.

The other thing to remember is that the New Testament has all kinds of things in it that didn't come from Jesus too. All the laws you mentioned are good, but Jesus said that the two most important commandments in the Bible were to love God and to love others as yourself. But those real commandments of Jesus are the most difficult ones to follow and the ones that do not make people rich or powerful, whereas taking all the stuff in the Bible and working with that gives one all kinds of material to use to get rich and garner power. It's way easier to be an "eye for an eye" Christian than it is to be a "turn the other cheek" Christian. Look at the behavior of self-identified Christians and it's easy to see which kind they are.

Werbung:
Anti-Theism is bigotry on the same order that "God hates fags" is bigotry.

That is very dependant on the anti-theist in question. A good majority of anti-theists base their "intolerance" less on the opinions of the theists and more on their lack of reality and fact in their view of the world. This would be where I'd be classed. I'm hardly intolerant of religion due to religion itself, I am very intolerant of the theists who misrepresent reality through their lack of acceptance of scientific proof.

I feel the same way about the welfare statists and Global Warming wackos.

Global warming wackos? The funny thing is I'm currently at one of the nations leading research universities UAHuntsville. While I'm an anthropologist, my department is Earth System Science/Atmospheric Science, my studies (Human Dimensions and Societal Impacts [ESS]) likely give me a much better insight into those "wackos" than you could hope for. Of course it's always easier to believe what you can understand and those talking heads on the various MSM outlets (fox, cnn, etc.) are much easier to understand than statistical maps spanning thousands of years. I mean why believe some of the nations most prestigious atmospheric researchers anyhow. Do you think growing seasons, ice cover dissipation, bird migration, blooming of flowers, migration and spawning of fish, dates of mountain snow melt, peak flow of glacier-fed streams and disappearing glaciers are all in on the conspiracy as well? Just because you don't like the social and political consequences of global warming, does not mean it's not real. But hey, even if you don't believe in the plausibility of human induced global warming, why would you risk it if it is even a remote possibility.

Then it shows ignorance on your part. I too would not like to be forced into living as though I believed in something I did not, be it Global Warming, Welfare statism or theocracy.

There is a huge difference between ensuring that the earth is livable by the future inhabitants, Supporting the poor with some of the money from public taxes, and being forced into a religious idealism by the state. None of them are relatable in the context we're covering here.

But you don't see stereotyping all Evangelicals from your narrow exposure to them as the spotlight fallacy... :rolleyes:

Actually it is not a spotlight fallacy, the typical North American perspective of "Evangelicals" is not the protestant movement that began in europe in the 1700s and does exist here in the US, but rather that of the fundamentalist/conservative evangelical. Perhaps I should not assume the commonality of that typification, and be sure to exclude the mid-line born again evangelicals who are not fundamentalist.

We can agree that each man should be free to live his life right up to the point where it violates the civil rights of others but its odd you only seem to hold this view in regards to Religion and abandon that view to support such statist policies as national healthcare.

false dichotomy.

Excellent points, PLC1, I'd be a Christian if it was about the teachings of Jesus, but it's not, it's about all the stuff in the Bible. Some Christian sects say that Jesus fulfilled the law and the new teachings supercede the old, some sects disagree, the Bible is ambiguous on this just like it's ambiguous on all kinds of things.

The other thing to remember is that the New Testament has all kinds of things in it that didn't come from Jesus too. All the laws you mentioned are good, but Jesus said that the two most important commandments in the Bible were to love God and to love others as yourself. But those real commandments of Jesus are the most difficult ones to follow and the ones that do not make people rich or powerful, whereas taking all the stuff in the Bible and working with that gives one all kinds of material to use to get rich and garner power. It's way easier to be an "eye for an eye" Christian than it is to be a "turn the other cheek" Christian. Look at the behavior of self-identified Christians and it's easy to see which kind they are.

I'm both. Turn the other cheek, is how I personally deal with things done to me. Eye for an Eye, describes how the law should handle things done.

Within context, you can determine how the phrase was meant to be used.

What things do you claim are ambiguous?

That is very dependant on the anti-theist in question. A good majority of anti-theists base their "intolerance" less on the opinions of the theists and more on their lack of reality and fact in their view of the world. This would be where I'd be classed. I'm hardly intolerant of religion due to religion itself, I am very intolerant of the theists who misrepresent reality through their lack of acceptance of scientific proof.

I am equally intolerant of people who claim to have scientific proof, but actually do not. Nice to meet you.

Global warming wackos? The funny thing is I'm currently at one of the nations leading research universities UAHuntsville. While I'm an anthropologist, my department is Earth System Science/Atmospheric Science, my studies (Human Dimensions and Societal Impacts [ESS]) likely give me a much better insight into those "wackos" than you could hope for. Of course it's always easier to believe what you can understand and those talking heads on the various MSM outlets (fox, cnn, etc.) are much easier to understand than statistical maps spanning thousands of years. I mean why believe some of the nations most prestigious atmospheric researchers anyhow. Do you think growing seasons, ice cover dissipation, bird migration, blooming of flowers, migration and spawning of fish, dates of mountain snow melt, peak flow of glacier-fed streams and disappearing glaciers are all in on the conspiracy as well? Just because you don't like the social and political consequences of global warming, does not mean it's not real. But hey, even if you don't believe in the plausibility of human induced global warming, why would you risk it if it is even a remote possibility.

Thanks, and I'm sure you think you have a ton of evidence, but in reality man made global warming is mathematically impossible. So, you'll have a hard time convincing those on this forum who are aware of the scam, that it's somehow true.

Those who you can convince, likely already believed the scam.

There is a huge difference between ensuring that the earth is livable by the future inhabitants, Supporting the poor with some of the money from public taxes, and being forced into a religious idealism by the state. None of them are relatable in the context we're covering here.

I see the relation. It's about freedom. In order to take from some, to give to others, you must deny the freedom of the some to their rightfully earned money.

Similarly, in order to support the utterly false global warming claim, you must again, deny the right of the people to their own earnings.

The only difference, is in the fundamentally flawed claim that we are somehow going to destroy the planet.

The Crusades, the Inquisition, the witch burnings, Joan of Arc's execution, the Catholic/Protestant war in Northern Ireland, the lynchings of blacks, the murders and rapes and beatings of gay and transgendered people, the Ku Klux Klan, the genocide of the indigenous Americans... and the list could go on and on were all done by self-identified Christians. Read the Population thread, Dr. Who and I are discussing the Biblical genesis of many cruel and insanely violent acts that can be traced back to things that God is supposed to have ordered or given permission for--something I have serious doubts about. Are you married? Would you have paid 200 human foreskins for your wife? King David did in the Bible, he killed 200 Philistines and cut off their foreskins to give to Saul for his daughter's hand in marriage. Doesn't sound particularly godly to me, does it to you?

Many people did many wrong things, that were not supportable by the Bible. Let's talk about the Bible, since they were not following the Bible.

As for David, it was a time of war, and the nation of Israel was fighting the nation of the Philistines. God righteously ordered the destruction of the Philistines which were brutally oppressing his people. The God of the Bible, is a God of judgment, not just mercy.

Does that make them right?

No, but it does mean that regardless of if we are right or wrong, they will continue to ignore regulation that are harmful, causing our economy to be at a disadvantage. We already complain about jobs moving out of the country now. What happens when problematic CO2 regulations cause millions of jobs to leave?

Of course, the man made global warming is a myth anyway, so they would never agree to it.

The sewage pollution that closes so many beaches around the world and pollutes so many water ways is not caused by humans?

Pick a topic. Are we talking about CO2 the natural gas emitted by nearly all animal life on the planet, or sewage? If you wish to talk about sewage, that's fine, but it is not a support for "man made global warming".

From your perspective, do humans have any substantive impact on the Earth?

If you mean from the perspective of limited carbon emissions, no, absolutely not.

If you mean from the perspective of having a global nuclear war, sure, without question.

Only 2.5% of the yearly emitted CO2 is due to human activity. That's all humans all over the world, in 3rd world countries to modern industrial nations, all the cars, all the planes, and all the humans themselves breathing.

Further CO2 is only 5% of the total "green house effect". More than 90% of the green house effect is due to water.

In short, we, at most, are responsible for such a tiny sliver of a fraction of the greenhouse effect, as to be completely irrelevant to the global temperature. If it could be even measured, it would be less than Three One Hundredths of a degree Celsius. or 0.03ºC Do you think that much of a change could melt so much as a snow flake? Not a chance.

Instead, cloud cover, ocean currents, humidity, sun spots, and a host of currently unknown factors, have a much greater influence, than man made CO2 could ever have. In short, the whole thing is a scam.

I didn't blame techonolgy per se, it's the things that technology allows us to do. We had bad smog problems before we cleaned up auto exhaust, how do you think the world's air quality will be affected when India and China have the same auto density numbers that we have?

Human density itself is the contributor. Granted, automobiles were much more dirty at the start. But ever since the catalytic converter, we really don't need anymore controls. India and China will be fine since we already developed the catalytic converter. It will take awhile for their economy to grow so the public can afford cars with those, but once they reach that point, the rest will be easy.

Unlike you, I'm not willing to dismiss our impact until I have far more proof one way or the other, I have a pretty much open mind on this. I've been wrong too many times in my life to be willing to shout "Hoax!" without the proof in hand.

Understandable. Try:
CBC - Global Warming Doomsday Called Off

Couple of quick points. According to ice core samples, we started taking temperature measurements at the coldest point in the last 1000 years. So even though it's true that it's been getting warming, it was getting warmer from the coldest point in 1000 years. Second, the temperature readings used by government reports, were from land based weather stations that are influenced by city effect heat. Weather balloons and satellite data both show no significant heat build up in the lower atmosphere, like the government reports suggest.

This video does sort of drag a tad. It's very documentary style. But otherwise, it's pretty accurate.

The Great Global Warming Swindle

This is a much better film, more lively and less dragging. Sadly, Veoh is a rather bothersome site with dozens of add, and you have to download their viewer. But if you don't, most of the other sites have the film broken up into parts, which means you have to go hunting for part 4 part 5 part 6 and so on.

This film makes dozens of good points. One is that most of the "2500 scientists" that supposedly support the government report, were not actually scientists, and many of the rest do not support the report, but their names were placed on it regardless.

Also, they pointed out that many scientists were attacked and intimidated into supporting it, at the risk of losing grant funding or other political motivated pressures.

There are a few other movies, and endless articles. For something really deep, try
http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/
But be warned, I love science, yet half of what he says I don't get.
σTe44πre2 = acsσTs4(rs/res)2 that's the thermal equilibrium for an Earth without an atmosphere. If you can read that section, and understand it, you got me beat easy. However, the body of it is decently understandable. Just skip the equations.

It isn't just American forests, in fact the rain forests are the ones being destroyed the fastest. Do you think that the disappearance of the benthic and pelagic fisheries is not due to over-fishing by people? Salmon stocks? The Passenger Pigeons? The whales? The Great Auks? Are all of these things just "lint on the blanket"? Or do humans have a profound impact that we are just now beginning to understand?

I would point out the far more species of animal life have died out naturally than anything humans have done. However, I do understand, and accept a very reasonable level of protection for some animals.

That said, I still wager that he was referring to supposed man made CO2 and the theoretical global warming that will wipe out all life on Earth, or whatever dooms day claim. In which case, he's right, we are nothing more than lint on a blanket.

As for David, it was a time of war, and the nation of Israel was fighting the nation of the Philistines. God righteously ordered the destruction of the Philistines which were brutally oppressing his people. The God of the Bible, is a God of judgment, not just mercy.
....But, still a Fairy Tale, nonetheless.....especially for those ill-educated/arrested-development folks who DREAD Death.​

Thanks, and I'm sure you think you have a ton of evidence, but in reality man made global warming is mathematically impossible. So, you'll have a hard time convincing those on this forum who are aware of the scam, that it's somehow true.

Mathematically impossible, really, care to submit for me a proof? You make me laugh and to be honest your lack of consideration of the facts makes my concept of your importance in the whole debate quite small. I mean why should I waste my time trying to prove something that the only way I could truly prove it is if I had God come down and tell you that the facts showed the truth. Herein lies the problem, it doesn't matter what I show you, how many independent climate models, or how much weather data from thousands of proxies. You will not believe. You'd rather believe in power point presentations, graphs drawing in MS paint, and data that's sources are more gaseous than the CO2 we release into the atmosphere. There is little to no science behind the detractors, little to none. What they do have however is a very very loud voice. Thousands of blogs rerunning the same exact word for word bastardization of the scientific method until the village idiots (an apparently large population) believe it as fact. Just remember, it doesn't matter how many times its written down, transmitted, read, or blogged, it does NOT make it true. I'm sure if any searches on global warming didn't result in the hundreds of thousands of results of blogs that all same the exact same thing (not independent research, but the same exact "research" repeated thousands of times over), you'd not drown out the tons of climatology data that exists. But hey, believe what you want. I realize that arguing with people of your 'caliber' and 'scientific knowledge' is moot.

Ultimately I understand where you're coming from. The earth was made for man to use and there is no way we could effect such a grand creation by using it as intended. I find it amusing that the large base of those who call Global Warming a hoax are not scientists but rather right-wing [thus corporate-free market is greater than the environment supporters] and religious [god made earth for us to use, so let's use it] anti-science rabble. I'd address your points if the research wasn't already readily available for you to go over. I realize the problem here is that even seeing it, you'd not believe it, no matter how compelling the evidence is. I wish science backing would garner your support, that you could understand the data, although I doubt were you to understand that you'd believe it due to your preconceptions. If you want to impress me, perhaps YOU should do some independent research (eg. not using blog post anti-climate change spin graphs and nonsense) that shows the faults of the climate models and emissions data.

1277108542.jpg

I'm both. Turn the other cheek, is how I personally deal with things done to me. Eye for an Eye, describes how the law should handle things done.

Clearly, Jesus did not believe in an eye for an eye.

Even though there are people calling themselves Christians who do believe in that philosophy, it is completely antithetical to what Christ preached. Being a Christian is not easy, calling oneself one while preaching revenge and hatred is much easier.

Clearly, Jesus did not believe in an eye for an eye.

Even though there are people calling themselves Christians who do believe in that philosophy, it is completely antithetical to what Christ preached. Being a Christian is not easy, calling oneself one while preaching revenge and hatred is much easier.

IMO, neither did God when he wrote the OT laws describing an eye for an eye kind of justice.

The law was meant to be cruel and hard to follow (but just) so that people would learn a lesson about sin and forgiveness.

They were supposed to realize some day that it was preferable to find the loophole and forgive a sinner rather than to carry out justice and stone the sinner.

Justice must happen, the sin must be punished or there is no justice. You and I are all sinners and deserving of justice. But God has created a loophole so that we can be forgiven. Jesus has died on the cross and died the death that you and I deserve.

IMO, neither did God when he wrote the OT laws describing an eye for an eye kind of justice.

The law was meant to be cruel and hard to follow (but just) so that people would learn a lesson about sin and forgiveness.

They were supposed to realize some day that it was preferable to find the loophole and forgive a sinner rather than to carry out justice and stone the sinner.

Justice must happen, the sin must be punished or there is no justice. You and I are all sinners and deserving of justice. But God has created a loophole so that we can be forgiven. Jesus has died on the cross and died the death that you and I deserve.

The concept you describe is central to Christianity, of course. Another part of that punishment for sin is that it is god who does the judging, not us.

The concept you describe is central to Christianity, of course. Another part of that punishment for sin is that it is god who does the judging, not us.

There are lots of different uses of the word "judge".

We are not to be judgemental, true.

But we are to use discernment. When actual judges were set up they were expected to judge people. It only makes sense.

When the elders of a village had to enforce the law they too should use good judgement.

Humans must use judgement in enacting human law. As far as knowing a persons final destiny we cannot know and only God can. As far as judging a person in the afterlife that role is not just for anyone.

Thou shalt not kill.

Werbung:
I am equally intolerant of people who claim to have scientific proof, but actually do not. Nice to meet you.

Could you show us the math please?

Back