The end of Empire-USA third world country

I thought you we were talking about northern america, where the purpose was only settlement. As for the aztecs, they were one of the most murderous peoples in history - the nazis of meso-america - they got bumped off - who cares?
Again, the idea that settlement even in North America was the only driving force is wrong. Might want to brush up on some Alaskan history. Where the Russians were the first whites to show up and did so to pillage abundant fur and fish resources as well as gold.
No, you don't know what you are talking about. There was absolutely no concept of "property" as understood by europeans, and tribal boundaries were limited to what a tribe could hold by force, in an envronment of constant tribal warfare. And the land any tribe sat on probably had in all cases been stolen many times during thousands of years - euros just enciuntered the last thieves.
Firstly, how much tribal fighting actually took place pre-contact will never accurately be known. Speaking from personal knowledge, the natives of Alaska did not encounter much tribal warfare, pre or post white contact. The natives of the rest of the Americas did fight, but most were not in a constant state of warfare as you suggest. Wars were fought mostly when resources became scarce. My friend who is a anthropologist would tell you that much more conflict between tribes happened after contact than the millenias before. Divide and conquer worked very well.
No, you don't know what you are talking about.
Yeah, you must be right, all of the material I have read and being a native American myself, yeah I have no idea:rolleyes:
There was absolutely no concept of "property" as understood by europeans, and tribal boundaries were limited to what a tribe could hold by force, in an envronment of constant tribal warfare. And the land any tribe sat on probably had in all cases been stolen many times during thousands of years - euros just enciuntered the last thieves.
So, if the two assertions you make in this statement about no concept of property but there was constant warfare among tribes and tribes/Europeans, Why would they fight? As I said before, the concept of individual land ownership was not there, but property (either land, resources, or material goods) ownership certainly was there. Just not written down, surveyed, zoned, and sealed by the town clerk. I would say that because they didnt have that sort of ownership does not at all justify Europeans to claim it and force everyone else off it.
The north american indian tribes all opposed the europeans from the beginning with violence - at Plymouth, at Jamestown, and at Columbus' first attempted settlement in Hispaniola.
Why would they bother? Because someone else was encroaching on what they saw as thiers. A pretty simple piece of evidence to show knowledge of the concept of ownership.
Also, Columbus and his crew were not at all violently opposed during the first voyage. It was the second one where the natives opposition started, after at least one native was killed by a Columbus crewman.
The segregation of tribes was a consequence of their uniform response to european settlers - violence.
Again, not true. Much more violence was inflicted on the Natives than the other way around. Also, I will point out that as an example, Native Alaskans did not engage in widespread violence towards the Europeans.
The indians have almost only themselves to blame for the consequences of their reaction to the arrival of members of what was clearly a superior civilization.
Yeah just like the girl walking alone at night deserves to get raped:rolleyes:

Werbung:
My understanding of the history of European colonization of America is that the Spanish, who came to conquer and raid, were met with whatever force the natives could muster. The English, who came to settle and take over land, were met with the same. The French, who came to trade iron pots and rifles for furs, were accepted. Those are broad generalizations, of course, and didn't hold true in all cases, but it does seem to me that the natives were more than willing to trade for items that their culture lacked, but were not too keen on someone else taking their lands and gold. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libsmasher
The north american indian tribes all opposed the europeans from the beginning with violence - at Plymouth, at Jamestown, and at Columbus' first attempted settlement in Hispaniola. The segregation of tribes was a consequence of their uniform response to european settlers - violence. The indians have almost only themselves to blame for the consequences of their reaction to the arrival of members of what was clearly a superior civilization.

That's just about the slickest way I've ever seen to blame the victims of an invasion. If you invade a country you might reasonably expect the current residents to resist--even if they don't share YOUR particular definition of property rights. You need to read A PEOPLE'S HISTORY OF THE US, much of what you were taught in school was nonsense--revisionist history written the winners.

Ooooooooooooo - did I contradict your lib pseudo-version of history? :rolleyes: The settlement of religious dissenters and farmers in north america was no more an "invasion" than my moving into my current house was an "invasion" of the neighborhood. :D

Quote:
I thought you we were talking about northern america, where the purpose was only settlement. As for the aztecs, they were one of the most murderous peoples in history - the nazis of meso-america - they got bumped off - who cares?

Again, the idea that settlement even in North America was the only driving force is wrong. Might want to brush up on some Alaskan history. Where the Russians were the first whites to show up and did so to pillage abundant fur and fish resources as well as gold.

Why is it that when WHITE people go after reources, it's "pillaging"? Did indians "pillage" the resources before the whites arrived?

Quote:
No, you don't know what you are talking about. There was absolutely no concept of "property" as understood by europeans, and tribal boundaries were limited to what a tribe could hold by force, in an envronment of constant tribal warfare. And the land any tribe sat on probably had in all cases been stolen many times during thousands of years - euros just enciuntered the last thieves.

Firstly, how much tribal fighting actually took place pre-contact will never accurately be known. Speaking from personal knowledge, the natives of Alaska did not encounter much tribal warfare, pre or post white contact. The natives of the rest of the Americas did fight, but most were not in a constant state of warfare as you suggest. Wars were fought mostly when resources became scarce. My friend who is a anthropologist would tell you that much more conflict between tribes happened after contact than the millenias before. Divide and conquer worked very well.

This has zero credibility. I've read that the indian migrants over the bering land bridge came in successive waves for hundreds of years before the passage closed. To think that each new group which arrived didn't provoke conflict makes indians appear racist - it's only when the latest immigrants were WHITE that trouble started?? Yaaaa surrre. And when the whites arrive in north america, the indians were superb warriors limited only by their primitive technology. So the peaceful indians in paradise became expert warriors overnight when the whites arrived?? Yaaaaa riiiiiight. When the euros arrived in Jamestown, one of the first things that happened was that the head of the local Powhatan confederacy tried to enlist their help to steal another tribe's land. Give up the "peaceful indian" myth.

Quote:
No, you don't know what you are talking about.

Yeah, you must be right, all of the material I have read and being a native American myself, yeah I have no idea

I don't care if you're Hiawatha - come to the table with facts and logic or shut up. And the appelation "native american" is silly.

Quote:
There was absolutely no concept of "property" as understood by europeans, and tribal boundaries were limited to what a tribe could hold by force, in an envronment of constant tribal warfare. And the land any tribe sat on probably had in all cases been stolen many times during thousands of years - euros just enciuntered the last thieves.

So, if the two assertions you make in this statement about no concept of property but there was constant warfare among tribes and tribes/Europeans, Why would they fight? As I said before, the concept of individual land ownership was not there, but property (either land, resources, or material goods) ownership certainly was there. Just not written down, surveyed, zoned, and sealed by the town clerk. I would say that because they didnt have that sort of ownership does not at all justify Europeans to claim it and force everyone else off it.

It was "there" by force of arms, and nothing else, and stolen from the previous tribe.

Quote:
The north american indian tribes all opposed the europeans from the beginning with violence - at Plymouth, at Jamestown, and at Columbus' first attempted settlement in Hispaniola.

Why would they bother? Because someone else was encroaching on what they saw as thiers. A pretty simple piece of evidence to show knowledge of the concept of ownership.

Do we generally kill illegal aliens? Does settlement justify killing??

Also, Columbus and his crew were not at all violently opposed during the first voyage. It was the second one where the natives opposition started, after at least one native was killed by a Columbus crewman.

You're historically uninformed. The first settlement in the western hemisphere, La Navidad, on Hispaniola, was founded by Columbus on his first voyage. When he returned on his second voyage, his men had been wiped out by the indians.

Quote:
The segregation of tribes was a consequence of their uniform response to european settlers - violence.

Again, not true. Much more violence was inflicted on the Natives than the other way around. Also, I will point out that as an example, Native Alaskans did not engage in widespread violence towards the Europeans.

Once again, the natives initiated violence at Plymouth, at Jamestown, and at Hispaniola. The indians stupidly took on a technologically superior civilization and lost. If you pick a fight with someone bigger than you, and get knocked on your ass, who is there to blame? The indians should have realized the world was changing around them, and learned from the whites and taken advantage of it. Instead, they reached for their tomahawks. Bad move.

Why is it that when WHITE people go after reources, it's "pillaging"? Did indians "pillage" the resources before the whites arrived?

Native Americans lived on the plains for a couple thousand years before Europeans arrived; during that time, they lived largely off the massive herds of migratory buffalo. Within one hundred years of earnest American expansion westward, that buffalo became effectively extinct.

Native Americans largely made use of renewable resources in ways that did not deplete them; Europeans and Western culture in general favors sucking renewable and nonrenewable resources dry, using up the finite amount of the latter and damaging the renewable supply of the former, turning them into nonrenewable resources. That's why it's pillaging.

To think that each new group which arrived didn't provoke conflict makes indians appear racist - it's only when the latest immigrants were WHITE that trouble started?? Yaaaa surrre.

There were plenty of conflicts, just not on the same scale as the conflict with Europeans.

Think of it this way. Europe itself, in the 20th Century, had a number of large but localized conflicts that, when you look at a map, didn't have huge repurcussions. It was big for them - we even call them "World Wars" even though they were predominantely European conflicts - but to an outsider looking in, not a whole lot changed as a direct result. Then 1945 rolls around, the second World War ends, and suddenly the United States and the Soviet Union have Europe by the balls. With our superior tech (namely atomic weaponry) and dualistic "war of ideas" (which is what the Cold War was, in essence) we could have flattened Europe at any given time. The stakes were raised and they weren't ready for it - and they got subjugated.

And when the whites arrive in north america, the indians were superb warriors limited only by their primitive technology. So the peaceful indians in paradise became expert warriors overnight when the whites arrived?? Yaaaaa riiiiiight.

Again, fallacy. You're attempting to creat a straw man for us - it'd be easier for you to rip apart our arguments if we were arguing that Native Americans were just a bunch of entirely peaceful and spiritual peoples with no sense of warfare who were blatantly attacked by European settlers. That is not the argument being presented. Native American tribes were like any other human associative groups - they had internal problems, when their social norms conflicted with human nature they either experienced bouts of criminality or resorted to behavior that would seem inexplicable to us today, and they didn't always get along with their neighbors.

Don't extend a partial statement to an absolute end, especially when discussing historical context. It reveals the weakness of your argument.

When the euros arrived in Jamestown, one of the first things that happened was that the head of the local Powhatan confederacy tried to enlist their help to steal another tribe's land. Give up the "peaceful indian" myth.

None of us is purporting a "peaceful indian myth." How many times does he state "wars were fought" in the post you were quoting? Do you believe that Native American tribes were in a constant state of bloody, gruesome warfare? Do you believe this to have been universal amongst them, or restricted to a few tribes?

I don't care if you're Hiawatha - come to the table with facts and logic or shut up. And the appelation "native american" is silly.

Insisting that an ideological opponent "shut up" on an internet forum is rather silly, too.

It was "there" by force of arms, and nothing else, and stolen from the previous tribe.

And that gives Europeans justification to "steal" it?

No, we deport them (unless you'd prefer to have it another way?). We send them back to the squalor and poverty they were attempting to escape so they can watch their children starve to death.

As for whether settlement justifies killing, how do you suppose the American government would react if the Chinese government sent a bunch of people over, planted a flag and claimed Northern Oregon

You're historically uninformed. The first settlement in the western hemisphere, La Navidad, on Hispaniola, was founded by Columbus on his first voyage. When he returned on his second voyage, his men had been wiped out by the indians.

"The island was inhabited by the Tainos, one of the Indigenous Arawak peoples. The Taino were at first tolerant of Columbus and his crew, and helped him to construct Fort Navidad on what is now Môle Saint-Nicolas, Haiti, in December 1492. European colonization of the island began in earnest the following year, when 1,300 men arrived from Spain under the watch of Bartolomeo Columbus. In 1496 the town of Nueva Isabela was founded. After being destroyed by a hurricane, it was rebuilt on the opposite side of the Ozama River and called Santo Domingo. It is the oldest permanent European settlement in the Americas. The Taino population of the island was rapidly decimated, owing to a combination of disease and harsh treatment by Spanish overlords. In 1501, the colony began to import African slaves, believing them more capable of performing physical labor."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispaniola#History

Once again, the natives initiated violence at Plymouth, at Jamestown, and at Hispaniola. The indians stupidly took on a technologically superior civilization and lost. If you pick a fight with someone bigger than you, and get knocked on your ass, who is there to blame? The indians should have realized the world was changing around them, and learned from the whites and taken advantage of it. Instead, they reached for their tomahawks. Bad move.

One: They did not "pick a fight." Most aggression towards Europeans was triggered by European mistreatment of Native Americans.

Two: A large degree of the vivisection of the Native American population was due to disease. That's no one's fault - at the time no one in Europe could have predicted that the New World wouldn't have any of the Old World's diseases.

Three: Several tribes did attempt to learn from whites. Today, we arrogantly refer to them as the "Five Civilized Tribes." Look what happened to them:

"The tribes were relocated from their homes east of the Mississippi River during the series of removals, authorized by federal legislation, over several decades and moved to what was then called Indian Territory and is now the eastern portion of the state of Oklahoma. The most infamous removal was the Trail of Tears of 1838, in which President Martin Van Buren enforced the highly contentious Treaty of New Echota with the Cherokee Nation to exchange their property for land out west."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Civilized_Tribes

If you read Andrew Jackson's speeches on "Indian Removal" I think you'll find that his entreaties to the necessity of "living space" for the more "civilized" white citizens of the United States bears an alarming resemblance to Hitler's call for "lebensraum" for Germans in foreign nations, particularly those of Eastern Europe.

Libsmasher, I think VYO sums up fairly well in correcting all of your inaccuracies. But your personal attacks and otherwise percieved rudeness is a waste of time and really only goes to show that you cant seem to have an intelligent conversation on a topic without resorting to petty immature mumbling. I dont know if you are angry in general or just over compensating for something lacking in your life. Either way, spare me your BS.

Reply part 1

Quote:

Native Americans lived on the plains for a couple thousand years before Europeans arrived; during that time, they lived largely off the massive herds of migratory buffalo. Within one hundred years of earnest American expansion westward, that buffalo became effectively extinct.

The herds remained intact while they were just hunted by indians, because for one thing they didn't have horses for effective hunting until euros brought them to north america, and also the indians' populations were tiny compared to the number of whites, and their market for meat, when the whites' buffalo hunt really got going in the 19th century. Those are the reasons - it doesn't have anything to do with indians tender concern for preserving the buffalo herds.

Native Americans largely made use of renewable resources in ways that did not deplete them; Europeans and Western culture in general favors sucking renewable and nonrenewable resources dry, using up the finite amount of the latter and damaging the renewable supply of the former, turning them into nonrenewable resources. That's why it's pillaging.

This is another modern day romantic myth about indians - they were the first green ecologists. Of course that's nonsense - the Anasazi in the southwest are thought to have gone extinct because of depleting their natural resources, likewise the maya in central america. Probably many others.

Quote:
To think that each new group which arrived didn't provoke conflict makes indians appear racist - it's only when the latest immigrants were WHITE that trouble started?? Yaaaa surrre.

There were plenty of conflicts, just not on the same scale as the conflict with Europeans.

Any proof of this? Conflict with whites was almost always local - just another "tribe" to fight.

Quote:
And when the whites arrive in north america, the indians were superb warriors limited only by their primitive technology. So the peaceful indians in paradise became expert warriors overnight when the whites arrived?? Yaaaaa riiiiiight.

Again, fallacy. You're attempting to creat a straw man for us - it'd be easier for you to rip apart our arguments if we were arguing that Native Americans were just a bunch of entirely peaceful and spiritual peoples with no sense of warfare who were blatantly attacked by European settlers. That is not the argument being presented. Native American tribes were like any other human associative groups - they had internal problems, when their social norms conflicted with human nature they either experienced bouts of criminality or resorted to behavior that would seem inexplicable to us today, and they didn't always get along with their neighbors.

You're softpeddling that indian tribes weren't warrior cultures - the fighting skills of many tribes such as the apache and lakota were renowned. Why did they have those skills? Did they go for archery target practicing on their day off? They had them, BEFORE the whites, for a reason: in an environment of constant tribal warfare, the skills were needed to survive.

Quote:
When the euros arrived in Jamestown, one of the first things that happened was that the head of the local Powhatan confederacy tried to enlist their help to steal another tribe's land. Give up the "peaceful indian" myth.

None of us is purporting a "peaceful indian myth." How many times does he state "wars were fought" in the post you were quoting? Do you believe that Native American tribes were in a constant state of bloody, gruesome warfare? Do you believe this to have been universal amongst them, or restricted to a few tribes?

What evidence do you have otherwise? The whites were met EVERYWHERE by indian warriors who didn't learn their skill the day after the whites arrived.

Quote:

And that gives Europeans justification to "steal" it?

Stealing stolen property from a thief is a problem?

Quote:

No, we deport them (unless you'd prefer to have it another way?). We send them back to the squalor and poverty they were attempting to escape so they can watch their children starve to death.

So I guess we're at least a notch up from the indians encountered by the euros.

As for whether settlement justifies killing, how do you suppose the American government would react if the Chinese government sent a bunch of people over, planted a flag and claimed Northern Oregon

A silly comparison. The US has allowed TENS OF MILLIONS of people to immigrate, and we didn't shoot arrows into them when they got off the boat.

Quote:

"The island was inhabited by the Tainos, one of the Indigenous Arawak peoples. The Taino were at first tolerant of Columbus and his crew, and helped him to construct Fort Navidad on what is now Môle Saint-Nicolas, Haiti, in December 1492. European colonization of the island began in earnest the following year, when 1,300 men arrived from Spain under the watch of Bartolomeo Columbus. In 1496 the town of Nueva Isabela was founded. After being destroyed by a hurricane, it was rebuilt on the opposite side of the Ozama River and called Santo Domingo. It is the oldest permanent European settlement in the Americas. The Taino population of the island was rapidly decimated, owing to a combination of disease and harsh treatment by Spanish overlords. In 1501, the colony began to import African slaves, believing them more capable of performing physical labor."

?????? You gave me a non-sequitur. My statement above is an example of how the euros were always met by indian initiated violence. Columbus left a few dozen men at a fort he called natividad, on his first voyage, and when he came back they were dead to a man, with the fort showing signs it had been attacked.

Quote:

One: They did not "pick a fight." Most aggression towards Europeans was triggered by European mistreatment of Native Americans.

Once again, you are making false claims as I showed above in the case of natividad. The Plymouth plantation colonists were attacked a few days after landing in america, when men in one of their skiffs, cruising around looking for a landing spot for the whole group of colonists who were stiil on the boat, had to quickly leave a beach when they were shot at by indians witn arrows. The first significant violence between the Jamestown settlers and the local indians was the Indian Massacre of 1622 in which the local Powhatan Confederacy launched a surprise attack and killed over 300 settlers, about a third of the colony, including women and children, farmers in their fields, anyone they could lay hands on.

Two: A large degree of the vivisection of the Native American population was due to disease. That's no one's fault - at the time no one in Europe could have predicted that the New World wouldn't have any of the Old World's diseases.

Yaaaa - and the indians introduced europe to syphillis, starting with a plague that started when one of Columbus men brought it back after the first voyage.

Three: Several tribes did attempt to learn from whites. Today, we arrogantly refer to them as the "Five Civilized Tribes." Look what happened to them:

"The tribes were relocated from their homes east of the Mississippi River during the series of removals, authorized by federal legislation, over several decades and moved to what was then called Indian Territory and is now the eastern portion of the state of Oklahoma. The most infamous removal was the Trail of Tears of 1838, in which President Martin Van Buren enforced the highly contentious Treaty of New Echota with the Cherokee Nation to exchange their property for land out west."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Civilized_Tribes

If you read Andrew Jackson's speeches on "Indian Removal" I think you'll find that his entreaties to the necessity of "living space" for the more "civilized" white citizens of the United States bears an alarming resemblance to Hitler's call for "lebensraum" for Germans in foreign nations, particularly those of Eastern Europe.

Oh, the rotten whites stole the indians' land? Actually, most of florida was depopulated of indians due to the euro diseases the spanish brought there in the 15th century. From wiki:

Reply part 2

Bands from various tribes in the southeastern United States began moving into the unoccupied lands in Florida. In 1715, Yamasees moved into Florida as allies of the Spanish after conflicts with the English colonies. Creek people, at first primarily Lower Creeks but later including Upper Creeks, also started moving into Florida.

So the tribes were actually capitalizing on the misfortunes of the indigenous tribes by taking over their land, stealing it from the weakened remnants. Then the whites took it - oh boo hoo, they stole something from thieves.

The degree to which indians happily joined whites to kill indians, something else left out of Pee See indian-worshipping revisionist history, is illustrated by the Tuscarora Wars in the 18th century Carolinas. This was a small number of about of a hundred whites, aided by several hundred indians, going after the Tuscaroras. From wiki:

The ranks of both armies [for the First and Second Tuscarora Wars] were made up mostly of Indians, with Yamasee troops especially. The first army, under the command of John Barnwell, campaigned in North Carolina in 1712. By the end of the year a fragile peace had been established, and the army dispersed. No Cherokee were involved in the first army. Hostilities between the Tuscarora and North Carolina broke out soon after, and in late 1712 to early 1713 a second army from South Carolina fought the Tuscarora. This army consisted of about 100 British and over 700 Indian soldiers. As with the first army, the second depended heavily on the Yamasee and Catawba. This time, however, hundreds of Cherokee joined the army.

Oh garsh - here we have the Cherokees creating a "trail of tears" for the Tuscarora indians.

The general picture is clear. Indian tribes encountered by euros were sitting on land that had probably been stolen many times in the 10-20,000 year history of indians in the americas. Indians set the terms of interaction from the very beginning with the whites as violent conflict. They lost. Are we supposed to cry about a thief who picked a fight with someone bigger than himself and gets knocked flat? Noooooo.......

The herds remained intact while they were just hunted by indians, because for one thing they didn't have horses for effective hunting until euros brought them to north america, and also the indians' populations were tiny compared to the number of whites, and their market for meat, when the whites' buffalo hunt really got going in the 19th century. Those are the reasons - it doesn't have anything to do with indians tender concern for preserving the buffalo herds.
Firstly I will point out that the plains Indians hunted bison quite effectively by various methods without the introduced horses for thousands of years. It was the railroads and the industrial hunting of that species that decimated the populations. But then again, earlier you said that white migration was based on peaceful farming purposes. So I guess consistency in an argument is not a main priority for you. Rarely, especially in comparison to the white hunters was a Buffalo killed and left to rot. Whereas thousands were slaughtered and left to rot, killing for the sake of killing was the white practice.

Conflict with whites was almost always local - just another "tribe" to fight.
Yeah imagine that, a local conflict. The mindset being I need to protect my backyard from someone else who is bent on competing for the same resources. When the imperialists want conflict, they project their power beyond the point of a local conflict. Sending troops from overseas and later from east of the Mississippi to remove local inhabitants elsewhere.
the fighting skills of many tribes such as the apache and lakota were renowned. Why did they have those skills? Did they go for archery target practicing on their day off? They had them, BEFORE the whites, for a reason: in an environment of constant tribal warfare, the skills were needed to survive.
Did you ever stop to think that those fighting skills were refined much more in their effort to subsist than it ever did to fight among tribes. I repeat again, I have never seen any proof of your suggestion about constant tribal warfare. Provide some proof and then you might have something to stand on.

The whites were met EVERYWHERE by indian warriors who didn't learn their skill the day after the whites arrived.
Again, you can stop your notion that whites were met with resistance everywhere because I have already given you an example that disproves this. If this was the case, how was Columbus able to leave the first time? Surely the blood thirsty white hating evil Indians would have overpowered the Columbus crew and he never would have returned to Spain.

So, by this argument, it would be justified for you to steal a car from someone who had stolen said car from someone else. Id like to see that explanation in front of a judge.

Once again, you are making false claims as I showed above in the case of natividad. The Plymouth plantation colonists were attacked a few days after landing in america, when men in one of their skiffs, cruising around looking for a landing spot for the whole group of colonists who were stiil on the boat, had to quickly leave a beach when they were shot at by indians witn arrows. The first significant violence between the Jamestown settlers and the local indians was the Indian Massacre of 1622 in which the local Powhatan Confederacy launched a surprise attack and killed over 300 settlers, about a third of the colony, including women and children, farmers in their fields, anyone they could lay hands on.
I will point out that Jamestown came 130 years after Columbus arrived, and the exploration and migration of Europeans had already began. I wonder if those Indians might have heard about what had transpired among other tribes to that point.
and the indians introduced europe to syphillis, starting with a plague that started when one of Columbus men brought it back after the first voyage.
This is debatable. There is evidence that would suggest syphilis had been around long before the 1494 outbreak. Maybe that crewman ought to have thought twice about engaging in sex with someone with lesions and sores on thier bodies.
Oh, the rotten whites stole the indians' land? Actually, most of florida was depopulated of indians due to the euro diseases the spanish brought there in the 15th century.
So you start buy a questionable accusation the first time, then defend the taking of land in Florida because there wasnt many people left due to disease brought in by euros that happened to spread quicker than European settlement. That is logical and consistent:rolleyes:

Indians set the terms of interaction from the very beginning with the whites as violent conflict.
This is absurd and holds no water. The whites set the terms of interaction from the very begining as one of a violent expansionist colonial power. Why did Columbus leave behind men to start a fort? Long term gold mining with slave Indian labor. Not "peaceful farming" purposes.

Quote:

Firstly I will point out that the plains Indians hunted bison quite effectively by various methods without the introduced horses for thousands of years.

Baloney - their inability to develop an advanced civilization over thousands of years indicates they were subsistance hunters/farmers, just getting enough food to survive.

It was the railroads and the industrial hunting of that species that decimated the populations. But then again, earlier you said that white migration was based on peaceful farming purposes. So I guess consistency in an argument is not a main priority for you.

What balderdash! :D The Jamestown and massachusetts COLONISTS were farmers, augmenting their diet with an occasional turkey or deer. The large buffalo hunts were 250 years later in the nineteenth century, when the US was already an industrial power. There is a time dimension - blink twice if you get it.

Rarely, especially in comparison to the white hunters was a Buffalo killed and left to rot. Whereas thousands were slaughtered and left to rot, killing for the sake of killing was the white practice.

Complete nonsense, as well as anti-white racist slander.

Quote:
Conflict with whites was almost always local - just another "tribe" to fight.

Yeah imagine that, a local conflict.

You don't have to "imagine" it - do you think the 1622 indian massacre of jamestown whites was like world war two?

The mindset being I need to protect my backyard from someone else who is bent on competing for the same resources. When the imperialists want conflict, they project their power beyond the point of a local conflict. Sending troops from overseas and later from east of the Mississippi to remove local inhabitants elsewhere.

Incoherent rambling.

Quote:
the fighting skills of many tribes such as the apache and lakota were renowned. Why did they have those skills? Did they go for archery target practicing on their day off? They had them, BEFORE the whites, for a reason: in an environment of constant tribal warfare, the skills were needed to survive.

Did you ever stop to think that those fighting skills were refined much more in their effort to subsist than it ever did to fight among tribes. I repeat again, I have never seen any proof of your suggestion about constant tribal warfare. Provide some proof and then you might have something to stand on.

You're clueless. Eg, the pre-Columbian constant aztec wars of conquest are well known to historians.

Quote:
The whites were met EVERYWHERE by indian warriors who didn't learn their skill the day after the whites arrived.

Again, you can stop your notion that whites were met with resistance everywhere because I have already given you an example that disproves this. If this was the case, how was Columbus able to leave the first time? Surely the blood thirsty white hating evil Indians would have overpowered the Columbus crew and he never would have returned to Spain.

I didn't say everywhere and every time an every incident. If the "where" was hispaniola, I gave you one example that was an indian massacre of whites. I went to pains to particularly underline for you that the FIRST encounters of whites involved indian violence, but for some reason you just can't get your head around it.

Quote:

So, by this argument, it would be justified for you to steal a car from someone who had stolen said car from someone else. Id like to see that explanation in front of a judge.

I was not talking about anglo-saxon jurisprudence, but rather pointing out the historical duplicity of you continuing to refer to "the indian's land", when the correct phrase would be "the stolen land the indians occupied".

Quote:
and the indians introduced europe to syphillis, starting with a plague that started when one of Columbus men brought it back after the first voyage.

This is debatable. There is evidence that would suggest syphilis had been around long before the 1494 outbreak. Maybe that crewman ought to have thought twice about engaging in sex with someone with lesions and sores on thier bodies.

The "evidence" I've read is pro-indian pee see historical revionism that purports to claim historical plagues in some case were syphillis on very scant evidence. If you have anything better, let's hear it.

Quote:
Oh, the rotten whites stole the indians' land? Actually, most of florida was depopulated of indians due to the euro diseases the spanish brought there in the 15th century.

So you start buy a questionable accusation the first time, then defend the taking of land in Florida because there wasnt many people left due to disease brought in by euros that happened to spread quicker than European settlement. That is logical and consistent

No, c'mon - pay attention. You wrote about the seminoles and cherokees - they had land grabbed from them that they had grabbed. Cause for a whimpery indian victimology myth? Huh-uh. Also, the euros were still hundreds of years away from the germ theory of disease.

Quote:
Indians set the terms of interaction from the very beginning with the whites as violent conflict.

This is absurd and holds no water.

I cited chapter and verse of this. You are just childishly stopping up your ears. :D

The whites set the terms of interaction from the very begining as one of a violent expansionist colonial power.

No, they wanted to settle in nearly empty continents, and got murdered for planting fields.

Why did Columbus leave behind men to start a fort?

Maybe he could see what was coming? If so he was right, since all his men were massacred.

Long term gold mining with slave Indian labor. Not "peaceful farming" purposes.

The indians started the violence - real stupid of them.

This doesn't prove that any form of culture drove her actions, only your own. Consequently, ask yourself what your socio-economic situation was at the time and compare it with hers.

She was doing fine. A lady of about 10-15 years older than myself, had a full time day job at a company, and was just taking night courses to get a degree in business management. She was better off than I was. I at the time was in a 1-bed apartment solo living off $15K. She simply didn't have a immoral value to stealing, and it rubbed off on her child, and he ended up in jail. Wouldn't surprise me if she got caught stealing from her job and ended up dropping out of school and broke.

Being broke sure as hell causes people to steal. Lack of money + desperation = Desperate acts to get money, or at least to fulfill basic human needs (food, water, shelter, etc). This isn't to say that all broke people steal, just that being broke can be a motivator for stealing.

Desperation is something I have a hard time buying. I worked through high school at a Wendy's. There I met a man from Romania. He fled the civil war with just himself, his wife, and 2 children. How much do you think a family of 4 costs to maintain? Their islamic beliefs prevented her from working, so he got a job at that Wendy's and provided for his whole family. He walked to work, she walked to the store, he bought a used bike for his son to ride to school, and his daughter got on the bus. They survived 2 or 3 years that way before he got hired by Hertz, and last I heard he had become store manager of the major Hertz store at the Columbus International Airport.

Why was he successful despite his poverty? Morals. It's hard for me to accept desperation as a reason when I can get free food from the Faith Mission down town, Food stamps from the government, Section 8 housing, or public housing if I can't afford section 8, welfare, unemployment assistance, I can even get telephone service for around 3 months free through government assistance. Water can be received from nearly any fast food place for free, so that isn't a relevant claim.

So, if I can get all these things myself, and if a Romanian with less than $500 to his name can survive and make a go of it with a family of 4.... what excuse do the millions of single criminals have to do what they do? Sorry I don't buy it.

Werbung:
My white Christian grandkids will be minority in this country. What should we do to stop this madness:eek: :eek: I am very afraid:eek: :eek:

please see this

http://www.usapopulationmap.com/race_2090.html

We have a rule of law so that no matter who is in the minority they will be given equal protection. I am in the minority in some ways but not in others. I have felt discrimination of sorts and I fear nothing.

Back