Thread for independents

Y

yoder

Our country has been effectively divided into two camps. If you are not with the GOP you are a terrorist loving, pinko, commie, libral. If you are not with the Dems you are a fundamentalist, NeoCon, homophobe.

So, anyone who does not fit neatly into either of those must be an independent, Independent, or member of another third party. If so, what are your reasons for not belonging to one of the Big Two? Were you ever a (D) or and (R)? Do you think the hyper-sensitive partisanship our country has displayed over the past 20 years has been productive? Does our country need political parties in order to survive?

Werbung:
Our country has been effectively divided into two camps. If you are not with the GOP you are a terrorist loving, pinko, commie, libral. If you are not with the Dems you are a fundamentalist, NeoCon, homophobe.

So, anyone who does not fit neatly into either of those must be an independent, Independent, or member of another third party. If so, what are your reasons for not belonging to one of the Big Two? Were you ever a (D) or and (R)? Do you think the hyper-sensitive partisanship our country has displayed over the past 20 years has been productive? Does our country need political parties in order to survive?

i don't see much difference in the parties themselves. I tend to side with the democratic party on social issues i find them to be atleast more humane when it comes right down to it.

But in the big picture i find the false left/right paradigm to be destroying this country.

When people usually ask what party I belong to, I usually give tell them something like Constitutional Union Party (from 1860 election).

I am an American (and a Marine) first, above all other things. Then I am a conservative. These values tend to push me towards the Republican party. However, don't get me wrong -- I have countless issues with the modern day Republican party: out of control spending, Dubai Ports deal, illegal immigration/border control, etc.

Not attached to any party.

I understand that very few of us truly fit the labels that the other side gives. But as soon as tempers flare, especially on a forum or mailing list, each side will lump the other side into neat little labels. Hell, I do it.

I tend to be fiscally conservative, socially progressive, and my time in the military has also changed the way I see the world.

As for those who do not wish to give their vote to a party they feel no longer represents them, they usually end up "throwing their vote away" on a third party. In quite a few cases people who vote party line tend to trash those who do not and "a vote for X is a vote for the other side" is thrown about. To me, this is usually as much incentive as I need to completely avoid voting for that party.

Much of what is wrong with our political system today has to do with the fact that the DNC and RNC have such a lock on any talk or debate that will or will not happen. Those who have opinions or views outside of the party platform are marginalized to the point that their voice is not heard and they are not represented at all, and what we as a country are left with is a government that does not represent the country.

So are stronger third parties the answer? Are they just one of the answers?

Are you in the Washington/Hamilton camp or the Jefferson/Madison camp?

It's tough. I mean, today, I advocate strict constructionism so naturally I'm a little turned off my Hamilton, but in my opinion, his economic policies in the late 1700s saved this country. Without him, I can say with conviction that America would either (a) not exist or (b) be a 2nd/3rd rate economic power.

I also read nearly all the Federalist Papers, in addition to the Declaration of Independence, and Constitution -- virtually all of which were written by Jefferson and Madison -- and I believe they collectively form some of the most intelligent, visionary writings in political history. Then again, Jefferson did abandon his strict constructionist views with the LA Purchase in 1803, so...

Sorry for the fuzzy/grey answer. I love all of them.

That,s why i call my self a fuzzy con. Ican agree w/ the dems. 1 out of 5 times and the reps 3 out of 5. But what makes me scream is the 1 out of 5 when nether has a clue

So, anyone who does not fit neatly into either of those must be an independent, Independent, or member of another third party. If so, what are your reasons for not belonging to one of the Big Two?

If it were not for their stance on legalizing drugs, I would be a Libertarian. My wife works in a field that sees the effects that drugs have on children. I do not give a flip if some crack-addict wants to waste their own life away; but when it is affecting a child, it pisses me off. So, I usually side with the Democrats on most things. I do see the side of Republicans every now and then. In fact, one of my biggest role models is Colin Powell. He is a leader; and I would probably take him as our President over anyone else.

Were you ever a (D) or and (R)?

I am a religious conservative, and a political moderate. In high school, I was a die-hard Republican. I thought all Democrats were, well, mentally-challenged? With my further education (I was a Sociology major and Bible/Ministry minor), my social views went more towards the center.

Do you think the hyper-sensitive partisanship our country has displayed over the past 20 years has been productive?

Ummm.....obviously not.

Does our country need political parties in order to survive?

Well, we can compare ourselves to countries that have existed much longer than we have. Britain and France have political parties; so I do not think that they are necessarily threats to our survival. What kills this country politically is the extremism. Both sides, Republicans and Democrats, have their pluses and minuses. When one chooses to be an extremist on either side, they lose out on the good of the opposition. In my opinion, we need to start focusing on the "glass is half-full" part of politics, and not on the "glass is half-empty" part. Don't get me wrong. I am not implying to go around with rose-colored glasses on. I am just saying that their are positives to both sides that need to be emphasized.

Arch.

Is a moderate simply someone who has no core values and thus can be pushed in whatever direction the political winds blow- meaning they have little chance of contributing anything towards solving the country’s socio-economic problems because they won’t consistently go in any given direction, or is a moderate a conservative or liberal that will accept policies from the other side when they can be used to achieve their own ideology’s goal? I support a national public school system, which would be a liberal position, but I support such a school system because it can promote national security, which is a conservative goal.

By moderate, I mean that I do not believe the government has the right to legislate morality and/or religion.

For example, I believe homosexuality is a sin; but I do not believe the government has a right to tell a gay couple that they can not get married according to the state, yet a church has the right to not recognize a gay marriage.

Also, I believe abortion is a sin; but I do not believe that the government should decide the issue, because there are situations where it may be viewed as an exception, such as the life of the mother, rape, incest, etc. However, I do believe that there should be provisions in place to prevent abortions of convenience.

Conservatives take the separation of church and state down a slippery slope.

Arch.

Werbung:
Perception is reality. I don't like labels; but if that is what people need to label me to know where I am coming from, then so be it.

It is what it is.

Arch.

Back