Traditional family key to world peace: Pope

It isn't just an art school, it's a dry campus. Substance and alcohol free. Or, you know, overt substance and alcohol free. So the munchies theory...not likely, at least not en masse.
Geez VYO, that sounds like the worst college campus in America. You dont attend No Fun University do you?
It's been a bad week.
Sorry to hear, if it makes you feel better, now is a good time for me. Take a minute and update the Springtime in Alaska thread.
There's a common fallacy that today, the best place to "get your message out" is online. Maybe that was true in the mid-90s, but today every Jack Idiot and his brother has a website (or a blog). Yes, student activism has moved online - more or less crippling it.

Sad state of affairs? Yup.
I agree and am just as guilty myself. My buddy got a letter from our jr. US Senator Murkowski(R) in response to a letter he wrote her about not supporting President Bush in attacking Iran.
I said to him after reading it, Dude, come on, if we attacked Iran right now, the people we take to the streets in probably violent protests. He laughed, took a sip of beer and said we wouldnt leave the computers until the draft board knocked on the door and in a sad way he is right IMO.

Werbung:
Mare, dont give any zealot religious folks a break. Pour it on! :D
(VYO, pretend you didnt read my encouraging her)

I go to school in New Hampshire.

If I didn't give you grief about picking on Christians, I wouldn't have much authority to give people grief about picking on Muslims. Or Jews for that matter.
So don't pick on Christians.

As soon as they stop abrogating the Constitution by denying equal protection under the law to people they don't like, when we get equal treatment despite their religious bigotry, then I'll quit picking on them.

The bumpersticker on the back of my truck says DEAR JESUS, PROTECT ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!

That is a rather dismissive statement. It sounds as if you are saying society can not change and homosexuals should simply be glad they aren't being openly persecuted.

What do you propose any reasonable individual do with something not based on facts nor logic?

Homosexuality - in that small percent of people who are totally homosexual, does not appear to be a "choice" any more than heterosexuality is a "choice".

I am devastated with grief. What do you want me to do about it?

Poor Nums, for a Catholic you don't seem to have a very good grasp of how the church works. If the church hierarchy can conceal the pedophile priests, then it stands to reason that they could also NOT CONCEAL THEM. Seems logical to me, but... you're different around logic than most.

Are reparations an act of concealment? By all means -- prosecute the guilty along with those who aid them. As far as I'm concerned, sex offenders anywhere should be punished to the full extent of the law -- that includes the marine who was convicted of rape hiding in the us embassy of his HOST country. As we speak, no one is even sure he is still in the embassy.

Simple? Yes. Logic? NO. Operating under a single precept of a complex politico/philosophical system hardly means that one accepts all of that system. An example would be that I think some of the things in the Bible make sense, but that doesn't mean that I buy all of the rest of the stuff in there. My guess is that even you (using the weird logic you posted above) would not call me a Christian. Therefore you effectively refute your own argument.

Have you even read mein kampf or any literature on nazism?

Where in any of them say anything about the precept you just mentioned, eh? Nazism isn't a politico-philosophical anything. It is an attempt at eugenics.

Racists said the same thing to black people. Christians said the same things to women. More and more people are coming to understand that proudly marching back into the Dark Ages under the Bible-beater banner doesn't make sense. People like you will die of old age and the new generation is not nearly so narrow and bigoted--I know, I speak to University classes on a regular basis.

The only difference is that with blacks and women, the arguments have logical basis.

No logic can be reasonably discerned from your sorry attempt at debate.

I have noticed the issue of lesbians has not been directly addressed....

My reply wasn't direct enough for you?

A lesbian IS a woman, hence has a right to motherhood. She may exercise that right but it cannot be extended to her lesbian partner because HER CHILD HAVE CERTAIN RIGHTS THAT THE STATE NEEDS TO PROTECT TOO.

I don't follow the literal doctrine of any religion...but I think Jesus probably existed, as a person. I think his one commandment exemplified the golden rule echoed through out human cultures. I fail to see how you can adhere to that simple rule and deny equality a a segment of humanity - an equality that harms none and rewards fidelity, a virtue.

You don't need to call it a marriage but why deny the existance and merit of the bond?

Nobody is denying anything.

People like you will die of old age and the new generation is not nearly so narrow and bigoted--I know, I speak to University classes on a regular basis.

Have you ever been tear-gassed, clubbed or shot at (with live bullets -- their much cheaper than the rubber ones) for a conviction you hold?

Keep your silly student activism to yourself. There are more urgent ideals in the real world worth fighting for than the one you are peddling right now.

What do you propose any reasonable individual do with something not based on facts nor logic?

Many things are accepted that are not based on "logic" or "facts".

Love and compassion for other species?

Love and compassion for other people's/nation's children (biological imperatives would dictate otherwise)?

An appreciation for the abstract, art, music, literature that leads us to promote them?

Saving a stranger at great risk to one's own life (altruism)?

As reasonable individuals, should we not do these things or support these things?

I don't know, my faith in the rest of my generation has been severely shaken by the response to a recent hate crime on our campus.

Basically, only about six or seven of us really cared about it. Everyone else just wanted to know why the kitchen had been closed for three days (an unrelated issue from the week before). It was a little disgusting.

Only little more then a handful? That is sad....:(

I like your avatar :)

My reply wasn't direct enough for you?

A lesbian IS a woman, hence has a right to motherhood. She may exercise that right but it cannot be extended to her lesbian partner because HER CHILD HAVE CERTAIN RIGHTS THAT THE STATE NEEDS TO PROTECT TOO.

Nobody is denying anything.

I don't recall you saying "but it cannot be extended to her lesbian partner because HER CHILD HAVE CERTAIN RIGHTS THAT THE STATE NEEDS TO PROTECT TOO" but perhaps I missed it.

However - WHY can't those rights be extended to her lesbian partner because, as a partner - the rights of both children are fully protected.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Are reparations an act of concealment? By all means -- prosecute the guilty along with those who aid them. As far as I'm concerned, sex offenders anywhere should be punished to the full extent of the law -- that includes the marine who was convicted of rape hiding in the us embassy of his HOST country. As we speak, no one is even sure he is still in the embassy.

No, of course reparations are not an act of concealment. The reparations are so huge because it has been proven in court over and over again that the hierarchy of the church knew about the pedophile priests and moved them around to keep them CONCEALED for decades.

Werbung:
I don't recall you saying "but it cannot be extended to her lesbian partner because HER CHILD HAVE CERTAIN RIGHTS THAT THE STATE NEEDS TO PROTECT TOO" but perhaps I missed it.

My mistake. Perhaps I said that to you in another forum.

However - WHY can't those rights be extended to her lesbian partner because, as a partner - the rights of both children are fully protected.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

In view of the rights of children, they are protected how?

Back