US eyes talks to level playing field in China

reedak

1. SHANGHAI: The United States wants to work with China to ensure a more "predictable" environment for American businesses in Shanghai, Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo told officials in the economic hub on Wednesday....

Raimondo told Chen she was looking forward to talks to "bring about a more predictable business environment, predictable regulatory environment and a level playing field for American businesses here in Shanghai."...

In a Tuesday meeting with Vice Premier He Lifeng in Beijing, Raimondo raised what Washington sees as unfair trade practices by China, according to a US Department of Commerce readout....

She has also repeatedly stressed that US curbs on Chinese businesses — which Washington says are aimed at protecting its national security — need not affect the broader economic relationship.

But Chinese officials have pushed back, with Premier Li Qiang telling Raimondo on Tuesday that US moves to "politicize" trade issues would prove "disastrous" for the global economy.

"Politicizing economic and trade issues, and overstretching the concept of security will... seriously affect bilateral relations and mutual trust," Li told Raimondo, according to China's official Xinhua news agency....

Source Link: https://www.manilatimes.net/2023/08...talks-to-level-playing-field-in-china/1907802

2. The following could be part of a long fictitious conversation between the leaders of the US and China in their upcoming meeting at San Francisco in November this year.

At the meeting, the US leader may keep demanding his Chinese counterpart to level the playing field for American businesses in China.

In response, the Chinese leader may say:

"Are you kidding? You and your predecessor look more and more like jesters.

Besides your predecessor's tariffs, you have subjected my country to mounting sanctions and cracked down on many Chinese companies in recent years, yet now you keep demanding me for a level playing field for US businesses in China.

Are you taking me as Sitting Bull or Crazy Horse? Are you treating the Chinese as Red Indians? In short, are you treating me and my people as nincompoops? Now sitting beside you, do I look like a sitting bull?

Using soccer as an analogy, you have raised your side of the playing field to as high as 30 feet. My players have no choice but to learn rock climbing in order to carry the football up the steep wall to your side and kick it into the goal.

Anyway, thanks to US economic imperialism of rampant sanctions and trade curbs against many countries around the world, mankind may have the opportunity to watch a new form of team sport that combines soccer with rock climbing in the future."

Additional Reference:

Werbung:
Cool story bro
Is there a point hidden in your verbiage and fiction?
Now look at the Chinese leader's question. Do you find anything funny about it?

"Now sitting beside you, do I look like a sitting bull?"

Werbung:
Back