US lawmaker calls for ending Huawei, SMIC exports after chip discovery

reedak

1. The US Commerce Department should end all technology exports to Huawei and China's top semiconductor firm Semiconductor International Manufacturing Corp (SMIC) following the discovery of new chips in Huawei phones that may violate trade restrictions, the chair of the House of Representatives committee on China said on Wednesday.

The comments from Representative Mike Gallagher, an influential Republican lawmaker, whose select committee has pressed the Biden administration to take a tougher stance on sending US technology to China, come after Chinese electronics giant Huawei last week started selling a phone called the Mate 60 Pro....

"This chip likely could not be produced without US technology and thus SMIC may have violated the Department of Commerce's Foreign Direct Product Rule," Gallagher said in a statement. "The time has come to end all US technology exports to both Huawei and SMIC to make clear any firm that flouts US law and undermines our national security will be cut off from our technology."....

Source Link: https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...fter-chip-discovery/articleshow/103452991.cms

2. If the Chinese leader could ever meet his US counterpart at San Francisco in November this year, he might make the following remark: "I have discovered the following stupid and arrogant comment by a small fry in the US political arena:

'The time has come to end all US technology exports to both Huawei and SMIC to make clear any firm that flouts US law and undermines our national security will be cut off from our technology.'

His statement is full of arrogance and ignorance. It is best described by a Chinese idiom : 大言不惭 (dà yán bù cán) which means 'boasting shamelessly'.

In case you have forgotten, I have to remind you that you called me a dictator behind my back at a fundraising event in California -- one day after your State Secretary met me for talks in Beijing.

If a dictator has no absolute power, he is worse than a paper tiger. So I am sure everybody, including you, knows that nobody in my country dares to make any decision or flout any so-called US law without my permission. In short, I am fully in charge of everything or have the final say in all things within my country. I am sure that small fry knows it too. How dare he to bark at me and my country like a mad dog! If I flout US law, so what?

Remember too, at the tenth Democratic debate in Charleston, South Carolina, you had also called me 'a thug' behind my back for putting millions of people in labour camps. Don't think that I hide behind the Great Wall of China and know nothing about the outside world. You will be surprised that I know far more things than you because I always keep my ear to the ground.

Now your so-called thug is standing squarely before you waiting for that small fry to come to arrest me for flouting US law. If he retreats into his shell in the last minute, I shall give you full authority to arrest me!"

Additional Reference:

Werbung:
Back