we got "ocean" problems

There really need to be fishing regulations in place in international waters, but who would make and enforce them?

Werbung:
There really need to be fishing regulations in place in international waters, but who would make and enforce them?

Make ? Thats the crux of the problem to me. Enforce ? Themselves (country of origin). The trick is making people understand that when the fish are gone, they're gone and all that remains to eat is one another. Gross but true.

Make ? Thats the crux of the problem to me. Enforce ? Themselves (country of origin). The trick is making people understand that when the fish are gone, they're gone and all that remains to eat is one another. Gross but true.
When the fish are gone, they're gone, so we'd better go and get ours before that other nation gets them first. That's the mentality. Without regulations and enforcement, there is no control. Expecting every nation to practice conservation because it's the right thing to do is like saying that if no one goes to war, there won't be any more wars, or that we don't need traffic laws because highway safety is important to everyone.

When the fish are gone, they're gone, so we'd better go and get ours before that other nation gets them first. That's the mentality. Without regulations and enforcement, there is no control. Expecting every nation to practice conservation because it's the right thing to do is like saying that if no one goes to war, there won't be any more wars, or that we don't need traffic laws because highway safety is important to everyone.

Like Steven Wright quipped, "you can't have everything, where would you put it ?".

Its not the right thing to do, its life and death. If the various countries feel the need to monitor then they can. Its not the individual guy out there with a fishing pole or net that is the issue, its the commercial fleets. They grouse about it here but they generally comply even whe it means some boats go idle. The oystermen here have paid the price of killing the Chesapeake Bay oyster business (they had chemical help from lush green lawns). the oysters are virtually gone despite extensive efforts.

These guys know whats up. Change the consumer's mind and that helps. And ask the tuna fish people if that works.

Like Steven Wright quipped, "you can't have everything, where would you put it ?".

Its not the right thing to do, its life and death. If the various countries feel the need to monitor then they can. Its not the individual guy out there with a fishing pole or net that is the issue, its the commercial fleets. They grouse about it here but they generally comply even whe it means some boats go idle. The oystermen here have paid the price of killing the Chesapeake Bay oyster business (they had chemical help from lush green lawns). the oysters are virtually gone despite extensive efforts.

These guys know whats up. Change the consumer's mind and that helps. And ask the tuna fish people if that works.
Sure, it's the commercial fleets.

and if every nation that had commercial fleets were to take a conservationist stance, we'd be OK.

but if some of the nations that have commercial fleets just go out for the maximum short term profit, then there has to be a big dog out there somewhere with the teeth to say, "No, we're not doing it that way."

Sure, it's the commercial fleets. t

and if every nation that had commercial fleets were to take a conservationist stance, we'd be OK.

but if some of the nations that have commercial fleets just go out for the maximum short term profit, then there has to be a big dog out there somewhere with the teeth to say, "No, we're not doing it that way."

they have to come back to the mothership periodically. If they come back with too much then big fine or pull their licence or impound the boat. I do not want a new layer of bureaucracy to waste money or impinge on sovereignty.

Sure, it's the commercial fleets.

To control Commercial fleets we need regulations. If you break the regulations there must be a penalty or fine. This is what a carbon tax does punish the polluters. Someone has to pay.

To have regulations there must be fines for breaking them. Some one has to pay,for pollution.

they have to come back to the mothership periodically. If they come back with too much then big fine or pull their licence or impound the boat. I do not want a new layer of bureaucracy to waste money or impinge on sovereignty.
The "mothership" is the nation that sent them out. If that nation does not support conservation, then the overfishing will continue. Solving this problem will take some international cooperation, which is why it is not likely to be solved.

To control Commercial fleets we need regulations. If you break the regulations there must be a penalty or fine. This is what a carbon tax does punish the polluters. Someone has to pay.

Only carbon is not a pollutant, Its a basis for life. I just emitted some carbon just now ! I do it all the time.

OK so Australia enforces it's boats, Indonesia does it's fleet etc etc

The "mothership" is the nation that sent them out. If that nation does not support conservation, then the overfishing will continue. Solving this problem will take some international cooperation, which is why it is not likely to be solved.

Cooperation is required and can be encouraged or discouraged by those on board.
But we do not need an extra layer of bureaucracy to pay for. I'm trying to avoid money for nothing.

Cooperation is required and can be encouraged or discouraged by those on board.
But we do not need an extra layer of bureaucracy to pay for. I'm trying to avoid money for nothing.
Unless someone, somewhere, has the authority to enforce the rules, then the rules are meaningless. Since no one does have that authority, and since there is no agreement as to who should, then overfishing will continue. That is my prediction, at any rate.

Unless someone, somewhere, has the authority to enforce the rules, then the rules are meaningless. Since no one does have that authority, and since there is no agreement as to who should, then overfishing will continue. That is my prediction, at any rate.

Each country has authority over it's own and there is nothing preventing any major fisher country from reaching out to the others through existing diplomatic channels. Not that is much of a model but they did it for whaling so its not impossible for countries to come together.

Each country has authority over it's own and there is nothing preventing any major fisher country from reaching out to the others through existing diplomatic channels. Not that is much of a model but they did it for whaling so its not impossible for countries to come together.
No, it's not impossible.

It's just highly unlikely.

It only takes one holdout to say, "Lookee here! All the other nations are cutting back their catch! There is more for us now, let's send out those trawlers, get busy making some bigger and better ones!"

Werbung:
No, it's not impossible.

It's just highly unlikely.

It only takes one holdout to say, "Lookee here! All the other nations are cutting back their catch! There is more for us now, let's send out those trawlers, get busy making some bigger and better ones!"

Hmmm I suppose so but you have to sell them to somebody. Sounds like a job for a massive import tariff ?

Back