What's a better method? Revenge or Forgiveness?

• Revenge

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Forgiveness

Votes: 25 71.4%

• Total voters

Grounded

Give examples from history to back up your opinion.

I'd say forgiveness just because of WW I and WW II. Germany started WW II because of the punishment from WW I. If the world forgave Germany after WW I, then WW II could have been avoided.

Werbung:
revenge only creates more hatred and possible retaliation/resentment by other allies, the problem is revenge can sometimes disguise iteself in the form of justice.

I agree with everyone so far. Revenge is simply a short term satisfaction that in the long run is usually bad. Forgiveness might be hard at first but pays off in the end. I can't think of a better example than WWI.

Give examples from history to back up your opinion.

I'd say forgiveness just because of WW I and WW II. Germany started WW II because of the punishment from WW I. If the world forgave Germany after WW I, then WW II could have been avoided.

The world didn't just freely forgive germany. The germans had to prove that they were deserving of forgiveness for quite some time before their aggressions were forgiven.

It depends on what you're talking about. If you mean personally, than yes, forgiveness is better. However, if you're talking about Geopolitics, it's not that simple. Politics is the art of power. Who has it, who keeps it, who rests it away. Geopolitics is no different. If another country or political group attacks the group in power, there is no choice but to retalitate. That is because the structure of power itself is and has been based on principles of violence. In fact, it has been said (I forget by who, just now) that power by definition is a monopoly on violence. The State has no choice but to meet violence with violence, which in essence is what revenge is.

In the case of World War I and the treaty of Versallies, the mistake of the Entante was not merely in dealing harsh terms to the German people, but in not dealing harshly enough with the army. De-Nazification after World War II nuetured the German army. Had they done something similar the first time around, perhaps that war could have been avoided.

If civilization is to survive, we must cultivate the science of human relationships - the ability of all peoples, of all kinds, to live together, in the same world at peace.

Werbung:
Dumb question

This is a prime example of a overly simplistic question. Whether to exact revenge or forgive is a stupid question unless the particular offense is stated. A minor offense, or a major one like the killing of six million Jews.

Back