Which party upholds the constitution most/best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikeboobs

Help me out here -

I overheard some chick in the office this morning saying she thinks republicans are the only party that upholds the constitution, and that democrats make stuff up a lot that goes contrary to the constitution.

While, in general, i would probably tend to agree with her, both parties i'm sure have done things that are pro/anti constitution.

I'm not looking for an argument today (too busy), just a list of ideas you guys might have, both pro/con, for each party as they relate to following the constitution while making lawmaking decisions.

Discuss!

Werbung:
Republicans talk about it more, Dems follow it more.
this may not have always been the case, but in the Bush years, its been used as TP.

Here's an example of what I'm looking for:
2nd Amendment - right to bear arms.

Republicans tend to support people's rights to guns.
Democrats, in good numbers, are looking for gun control/restrictions to gun rights.

This would be a case where I'd say Republicans are upholding the constitution more than the democrats.

Pocket....you rule.

The Libertarian Party is the only one that really upholds the Constitution. The other two parties totally ignore the tenth amendment, for example.

The overturning of the constitution by lib supreme court judges has been rampant for 50 years - conservatives win by a mile.

First , quit *****ing about the SC, guess what they make up there own mind. Sorry but Reagan picked some of those that are pro choice, he thought they would not be, but thats how they ruled. Judges can go any way they want regardless what party is in power. Also I think its dumb that so many think the judge has to rule the way they want on row v wade they way they want...or they our out...regardless of all other things.

But on to partys

Yes some Dems have pushed for gun control, and some go to far, but the right to bear arms is not unlimited, and few on any side would say it was. its only a sliding scale of what is going to far, and I think with some exeptions the dems have stayed within the constitution. After all, its not like I cant go out and buy AR-15 right now if I so chose to do so.

Right to a fair trial is fairly clear...Bush co has tried to make it so you can declare Americans as enemy combatants and hold them with out charge or legal rep for as long as you want...I don't think when they wrote the constitution they where thinking...well we should make one charge you can make, never prove, never even have to charge them with, but can hold them for life...thank god some people on both sides stood against this.

First , quit *****ing about the SC, guess what they make up there own mind. Sorry but Reagan picked some of those that are pro choice, he thought they would not be, but thats how they ruled.

One of his few mistakes, and conservatives warned him about Sandra Day Oconnor.

Judges can go any way they want regardless what party is in power.

No, they've gotten away with doing anything they want - this is the biggest hole in the US system,and needs to be fixed.

Also I think its dumb that so many think the judge has to rule the way they want on row v wade they way they want...or they our out...regardless of all other things.

You appear to be a complete dunce about the Roe ruling - why flap your gums and remove all doubt? :D

Yes some Dems have pushed for gun control, and some go to far, but the right to bear arms is not unlimited, and few on any side would say it was. its only a sliding scale of what is going to far, and I think with some exeptions the dems have stayed within the constitution. After all, its not like I cant go out and buy AR-15 right now if I so chose to do so.

Scuse me - but listening to someone like you hold forth on rights is like listening to a cannibal in the New Guinea jungle lecture on quantum mechanics. :)

The GOP has more or less made the 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th amendments obsolete. The first amendment could be considered under threat.
I am a Democrat and still have all my guns.
Knowing that our email, posts on this site, sites we visit, library books we check out, phone numbers we call, and those who call us, our bank activities, our travel activities are all now monitored without warrant by the Federal Government in order to detect crime. Then we can be detained and held without bail and trial, and be subjected to torture. All we need is to be designated an enemy combatant, and there is no real due process for that.
In the last 8 years, the Constitution and Bill of Rights have taken more shots than
9Sublime on a night in London.

We need our guns more than ever! We have to guard our groceries and gas tanks.

Here's a new occupation: Train and sell Dobermans, Rottweilers and alligators to be chained to car bumpers to rip up gas poachers.

Liberals have crushed the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment, all but revoked the second amendment, rewritten article 1, obliterated the free religious expression clause of the first amendment, and nullified the tenth and eleventh amendments.

The libertarians are about as relevant as the bull moose party. Both the democrats and the republicans have been using the constitution as tp for as long as I've been politically aware. Anyone paying attention knows the futility of depending on the constitution for protection of personal liberties.

Which party is better at upholding the constitution? Flip a coin. Given the realities of our politic, the question is absurd.

Just previewed my own post. Boy am I a cynical sob.

The libertarians are about as relevant as the bull moose party. Both the democrats and the republicans have been using the constitution as tp for as long as I've been politically aware. Anyone paying attention knows the futility of depending on the constitution for protection of personal liberties.

Which party is better at upholding the constitution? Flip a coin. Given the realities of our politic, the question is absurd.

Just previewed my own post. Boy am I a cynical sob.

I find that cynicism usually helps to find the truth.

Werbung:
The libertarians are about as relevant as the bull moose party.

Which is why we've gotta to take back the Republican Party. The Ron Paul Revolution is the first step toward that.

I'm also hoping (yes, I'm that cynical) that the Dems are elected, so that when the economy dips in 2009/10 they will be scapegoated, and hopefully people will once more turn to small-government conservatives. It's a long shot, but it's a shot.

-Dr House :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back