Countries that have the death penalty

I was just reading an article in Backwoods Home
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ayoob45a.html

The article did not say this but somehow it got my brain in this track - Of all the various kinds of state that exist or have existed a state like the United States of America has abused the power to kill least of all. Certainly the communist and fascist, the monarchies and other tyrannies have all killed far more of their citizenry than the US. So why is the US picked on by people who support big government? I assume it must be to draw attention away from the real history of the abusers and dilute the truth. I doubt the followers of these ideas intentionally do this but what about the leaders?

Werbung:

The article did not say this but somehow it got my brain in this track - Of all the various kinds of state that exist or have existed a state like the United States of America has abused the power to kill least of all. Certainly the communist and fascist, the monarchies and other tyrannies have all killed far more of their citizenry than the US. So why is the US picked on by people who support big government? I assume it must be to draw attention away from the real history of the abusers and dilute the truth. I doubt the followers of these ideas intentionally do this but what about the leaders?
Correct Doc ...

This is what all rational thinking people believe. But, then again, wacko leftist have never been accused of being rational thinking people, have they?

Who is responsible for more death and destruction than any other entity? Of course, government is. History confirms this. Yet, many on the Left (many on the right too) like and want more government. How can this be?

The Left likes to criticize and condemn large corporations, much of it is warranted, but they refuse to do the same to government. Large corporations can't take your rights from you. They can't imprison or execute you. Government can.

I think many on the Left see government as a force for good and can't or won't recognize the dark side. This allows corrupt power hungry leaders to use them as tools.

I am so pro life that I want the government to run a system of punishment that means they will kill innocent people

Hmm, I suppose it is no more hypocritical than the pro lifers' love of warfare and weaponry

I am so pro life that I want the government to run a system of punishment that means they will kill innocent people

Hmm, I suppose it is no more hypocritical than the pro lifers' love of warfare and weaponry

Why must you go off the rails and out where the buses don't run?

Once again you prove you are most illogical. You claim you are pro life, but you believe abortion is just fine.

Your illogical hatred of conservatives and Christian Americans is misplaced. Your hatred should be, if you were logical, aimed at the US government...and the US government is controlled by Leftism, which you also love. The American people do not want war and many of us want an end to ALL foreign interventions, but our government loves war and constant foreign interventions...just as all big unlimited governments have throughout history. War is the health of the State...the very State you so love.

The elephant in the room is big unlimited government. But you are blind to this reality. Why?

Last edited:
I am pro actual life

Not potential life

You scream for the right to life of a foetus but are happy to see lots of innocent actual people killed

Your position is one of extreme hypocrisy fuelled by religious fundamentalism

I am pro actual life

Not potential life

You scream for the right to life of a foetus but are happy to see lots of innocent actual people killed

Your position is one of extreme hypocrisy fuelled by religious fundamentalism
I hope you continue to use that exact argument exactly as written.

Nope you got me there

Haven't a clue what you are getting at

Perhaps you pro lifers should get back to screaming against Obama care so that huge numbers of poor Americans die prematurely because they can't afford private healthcare

You pro lifers do seem to the outsider to be very pro death don't you?

The US spends hundreds of billions a year on attack and kills thousands of foreigners who aren't attacking it

It spends a tiny amount defending Americans against illness which is a much more real threat to Americans than war

The whole country is just one massive pro death chess pit

Nope you got me there

Haven't a clue what you are getting at
I was pretty sure you would not get it. So by all means continue making the exact argument you have made.

Perhaps you pro lifers should get back to screaming against Obama care so that huge numbers of poor Americans die prematurely because they can't afford private healthcare

By all means we should continue being against government health care because private health care is clearly better.

You pro lifers do seem to the outsider to be very pro death don't you?
To you anyway. One of us is wrong.

The US spends hundreds of billions a year on attack and kills thousands of foreigners who aren't attacking it
You may be right.

It spends a tiny amount defending Americans against illness which is a much more real threat to Americans than war
that could be its own thread. Does the us spend more on military than on health?

The whole country is just one massive pro death chess pit

Chess? Is that what you meant? Bishops and knights? I suppose that was a typo, I make them all the time. Cesspit.

Well I guess I will have to bow to your country's superior knowledge on the death penalty

As I will to n korea's and iran's and all those other enlightened countries you share this practice with

Oh and thanks for explaining your obscure reference at the top of the post

I suspected it was a meaningless attempt at intellectual superiority

Now I know it is

Now let's see how we can get more Americans killed

Lets see. We have the death penalty, yes that's good

We have freely available military grade weapons that any lunatic can buy, yes that seems to do the trick

We bomb the shit out of foreigners on a regular basis, that's a real good one

Oh and we are not going to have our poor people gaining access to healthcare. If they did that would reduce the premature death rate and we are not having that

No way, we're pro life

What a motley crew. These are the moral bedfellows of the US with its barbaric practice of executing its own citizens many of who are innocent of any crime

Nuff said
If the goal is justice, then this objection must be taken seriously. We must admit that if there is a death penalty, some deplorable injustices will occur. But we must also admit that, without a death penalty, other fatal injustices will occur. So the choice isn't between perfect justice and no justice; it's between two different kinds of imperfect justice. If we study the Scriptures, I think we'll find that God is a realist. Let's look again at Numbers 35:
"'These things shall be for a statutory ordinance to you throughout your generations in all your dwellings. If anyone kills a person, the murderer shall be put to death at the evidence of witnesses, but no person shall be put to death on the testimony of one witness.'" (vv.29, 30, NAS95; see also Deuteronomy 17:6 and 19:15)
Why isn't one witness sufficient? Because one witness can lie or be mistaken. The fewer witnesses we require, the more likely that an innocent person will be executed. Conversely, as we demand more witnesses, it's more likely that a guilty person will go free because the murderer has thought to commit his crime away from all eyes – Cain killed Abel in the field, not in the camp. In this passage we see God's recognition of human error, corruption and uncertainty in the legal system. He strikes a balance: two or three witnesses. We'll still have occasional injustice in both directions, but more often than not, righteousness will be done. Though the hard truth that "our judicial system is flawed, and sometimes executes the innocent" is supposed to be something we should not tolerate, God in fact does tolerate it.

In the New Testament we read:
Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know Him who said, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY." And again, "THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE." It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God. (Hebrews 10:28-31)
Today Vengeance is Mine, I will repay is used to argue against the death penalty. But neither the ancient Jews nor Jesus nor the Apostle writing this letter saw any conflict between the two. Here, capital punishment symbolizes and foreshadows the more terrifying sentence of God. They work together. We know that, at least sometimes, physical punishment has paved the way for divine mercy, as when Paul decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. (1 Corinthians 5:5; see also 1 Timothy 1:20). Jesus said, "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matthew 10:28; see also Luke 12:4,5) There's something worse than death, and the death penalty serves as a warning of it. If we remove that warning, we may one day find that we've sinned against both justice and mercy.

Here's a case of even rougher justice. God says:
"If the thief is caught while breaking in and is struck so that he dies, there will be no bloodguiltiness on his account. But if the sun has risen on him, there will be bloodguiltiness on his account. He shall surely make restitution; if he owns nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft." (Exodus 22:2,3)
The nocturnal thief gets no trial, much less a free attorney. He does have the right to remain silent – forever. The presumption is that if a person breaks into your home at night, he's planning something worthy of death. He may not be, of course. Even a mediocre American lawyer could think of a dozen reasons why someone would be in your home at night sans invitation. Maybe he's drunk, and he's just got the wrong house. "Should he die for being mistaken?" our Johnnie Cochran wails. Yeah, it seems God has no problem with that.

If you want to talk about a flawed legal system, how about the one that executed the only truly righteous Man? For the sheer magnitude of its corruption, racism, apathy, ungodliness, cowardice, cruelty and injustice, the Roman government that crucified Christ must take the cake. His bad execution wasn't even an accident; the governor simply couldn't be bothered to care about one more dead Jew. Such a regime has lost its moral authority to impose a sentence of death – hasn't it?

Werbung:
There will be no fatal injustices if you take away the death penalty

Your argument is totally flawed

You could incarcerate a murderer

This would protect society

It would punish the perp

It would give us the opportunity to right a wrong conviction

Where's the downside?

There isn't one

Interesting that the US keeps company with the 'enlightened nations ' that see it differently

If you resort to religion for your justice you are the same as the Islamic theocracies you condemn but interestingly share a lot of practices with

Like Capital punishment

Back