Do you pray?

mamab

Whether to God, Jesus, Buddah, Mohamed, whoever, do you pray? And why?

I pray because I believe God is a loving God and is interested in my life. What about the rest of you?

Werbung:
I don't pray anymore. I just don't feel the need to do so. I do believe in God, and I know the only time I actually "pray" is taking off and landing when I travel by plane. Maybe I should pray more often, but I don't.

The short answer is Yes.

The long answer is . . . I don't plan it out actually, and it's not so much a prayer as a constant conversation. I don't schedule a time to deal with issues, I just run an incessant dialogue. Now what I believe is the complicated part, and that would take quite a bit of time to completely explain, but Yes I pray.

I do sometimes, but it's almost always for other people (loss of a loved one, etc.) than for myself. I've never really been a big prayer person, to be honest.

If you don't pray, do you think it's because there's not any person to pray TO, or that your prayers won't do any good?

I pray at times. I tend to pray more when something major is going on in my life with me or someone close to me.

I pray in the same way that hoosierhunter does. Conversation because I believe I have a relationship with a living God. And yes - as you assume I would call myself a chrsitian and so I subscribe to the notion that prayer serves many purposes.

I personally think there IS a God who hears and answers prayers. I think He just does it in His own sweet time (since He has eternity to do so.) His timing and mine are two totally different things, though.

The short answer is yes, although if the criteria is a formal prayer with a proscribed format, I would have to say no. Often, the prayers are more along the lines of sharing what is on my heart and mind at the moment.
In some ways, the way I pray is not unlike the Quaker practice of "centering" in that while there may be something specific on my mind, I also try to be receptive to any responses that may come.

I've caught myself praying in a way a lot lately, because my best friend has been diagnosed with cancer, and that is really hurting me emotionally. I'm trying to get informed and help as much as I can, but praying has been in my mind too.

Berlinlife, my sympathies are with you and your friend. How wonderful that your friend has someone like you there, someone who cares and wants to be supportive during this difficult time.

I know first hand how much help both prayer and the presence of a loved one can do in a situation like this. I am a cancer survivor of seventeen years now. Keep praying and being there for your friend. It will do both you and your friend a world of good.

Thank you mtatum!
I've been going through a tough time, but I feel better now that I see my friend more focused on fighting the sickness and getting better. At least she has the attitude. What type of cancer did you have? I am also a cancer survivor, but mine was a very rare skin cancer. With her things are a lot more difficult.

I applaud you both for your attitudes. I know it's often the case with people that have been diagnosed with cancer, that the drudgery of it all wears them down, and they almost give up. I'm sure it can be difficult at times, while in the midst of it, but I've heard over and over that a positive attitude and prayer can do much to help in recovery.

Thank you mtatum!
I've been going through a tough time, but I feel better now that I see my friend more focused on fighting the sickness and getting better. At least she has the attitude. What type of cancer did you have? I am also a cancer survivor, but mine was a very rare skin cancer. With her things are a lot more difficult.

I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. My situation was very fortunate, in that at the time I was diagnosed, the malignancy was within days of beginning to spread.

When I first found out about the cancer, I was devastated. My mother had passed away two years prior from cancer and several of my aunts and uncles had died with one form or another. I was sure that it might be too late to get it all. And if I lived, I thought that would be the end of my ability to father a child. Fortunately, I had some very supportive friends who stuck with me from the day I found out about the cancer all the way through the surgery and even through the followup radiiation treatments.

Fortunately, I ended up being wrong on both counts. I have a ten and a half year old son and I am still alive and kicking, as of today.

Werbung:
I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. My situation was very fortunate, in that at the time I was diagnosed, the malignancy was within days of beginning to spread.

When I first found out about the cancer, I was devastated. My mother had passed away two years prior from cancer and several of my aunts and uncles had died with one form or another. I was sure that it might be too late to get it all. And if I lived, I thought that would be the end of my ability to father a child. Fortunately, I had some very supportive friends who stuck with me from the day I found out about the cancer all the way through the surgery and even through the followup radiiation treatments.

Fortunately, I ended up being wrong on both counts. I have a ten and a half year old son and I am still alive and kicking, as of today.

I'm happy for you! I hope you can be healthy for many many years to come!
My friend has liver cancer, but it is a methastasis, and they are looking for the primary, so they can treat her. It's been very difficult, but I do have hope and a lot of many people around sending positive energy. Praying is still in my mind.

Back