now a tricky one for Christians

Pandora, There are many references in the ACT of the Apostles to breaking bread. Catholics believe this means the Eucharist. Examples are in Acts 2:42.""And they continued steadfastly in the teachings of the apostles and in communion. of the breaking of the bread and prayers."and in Acts 20:7 änd on the first day of the week when we ha met for the breaking of bread". This is continued every day in the Catholic Church.

Well the term breaking bread for them was much like an American saying its dinner time. It’s just how they coined the phrase “dinner time” back in the day. So them saying lets break bread only means let’s eat dinner...Many middle eastern people still say “let us break bread” I think its kind of cute really… But I don’t find anything holy about it. Plus the bread they normally ate at meal times was leaven not unleavened and would never be able to serve the purpose of the "body of Christ"

Werbung:
I view communion as something very serious. I've never taken communion in a Catholic church, because although I've attended many services, I'm not Catholic. I also feel that even in a Protestant church, if you haven't been living your daily life following Christ's teachings or haven't recently admitted to yourself your shortcommings and asked for "forgiveness" that you shouldn't take it then either.

Padora, There are many references in the ACT of the Apostles to breaking bread. Catholics believe this means the Eucharist. Examples are in Acts 2:42.""And they continued steadfastly in the teachings of the apostles and in communion. of the breaking of the bread and prayers."and in Acts 20:7 änd on the first day of the week when we ha met for the breaking of bread". This is continued every day in the Catholic Church.
No, I don't think that's a metaphor. When he says he's the door, that is. The idea that you have to follow Christ in order to get to the father is basic to Christianity.
I fully admit I am surprised you answered the way you did. I expected you to give the “what about the guy stranded on the deserted island” or “what about the guy who only knows Buddha and never heard of Jesus”

Some days you surprise me, that’s good… keep me on my toes ;)

The problem with the theology of a lot of the Christian churches is that they don't address the fact that a large portion of humanity dies without even having heard of Christ. How is that fair, if there is no other way into heaven, after all?

Others believe that you can know Christ in the next life too, and further that it is not enough to merely believe in him, but that you must do your best to follow his teachings.

What do you think, is Mahatma Ghandi in heaven, or not?

I view communion as something very serious. I've never taken communion in a Catholic church, because although I've attended many services, I'm not Catholic. I also feel that even in a Protestant church, if you haven't been living your daily life following Christ's teachings or haven't recently admitted to yourself your shortcommings and asked for "forgiveness" that you shouldn't take it then either.
I think that is wonderful that you have not taken it in a Catholic Church. They probably couldn’t stop you but they teach if you are not Catholic you should not take it there, so it’s wonderful that you respect their traditions. I agree with you also about the seriousness of taking it. I wish everyone thought it was serious

The problem with the theology of a lot of the Christian churches is that they don't address the fact that a large portion of humanity dies without even having heard of Christ. How is that fair, if there is no other way into heaven, after all?
Others believe that you can know Christ in the next life too, and further that it is not enough to merely believe in him, but that you must do your best to follow his teachings.

What do you think, is Mahatma Ghandi in heaven, or not?

Not sure I believe anyone is in heaven as of yet I am not sure I believe the same as a Christian in many or most things, dying and going right to “heaven” being one of them. I think the books we read were meant for the readers. I am sure that God has worked out things for all mankind, from the first people to the last. I don’t know what the plan is for all human kind All I am sure about is the messages available for me.

If there are aliens on other planets, I am sure they have a plan too J

So do you believe the vs. I posted about no one going to the Father except by Jesus? I thought I understood that you did, perhaps you only meant that it was a literal statement but that you did not personally buy into it?

Catholics can only recieve Communion if they have been to Confession or made a perfect act of Contribution.

Catholics can only recieve Communion if they have been to Confession or made a perfect act of Contribution.
Also a person divorced in civil court then remarried cannot take communion. Until the church has given them an annulment they cannot take communion. John Kerry gets away with it but I don’t know why they make exceptions for him. They make an exception for him on the abortion part too. Ratzinger wrote and extensive article on it before he became Pope.

In order to receive communion, a Catholic must be in a state of grace (that is, not in a state of mortal sin), have been to confession since his committing his last mortal sin, believe in the doctrine of transubstantiation and observe the Eucharistic fast.

This requirement is, ironically enough, the one which is most often ignored. While most Catholics do not commit certain mortal sins (generally speaking the ones which are illegal) an unknown number commit mortal sins which have become “socially acceptable” and then go and receive the Eucharist. Among the most common of these mortal sins are adultery, fornication, use of contraception and material participation in abortion. Committing these sins and then receiving the Eucharist (especially for a public figure such as a politician who creates or votes for pro-abortion laws) not only spiritually damages the Catholic who is guilty of the mortal sin of profaning the body and blood of Jesus Christ, but also causes grave scandal to the Church.

The Church teaches that the Catholic must believe in the doctrine of transubstantiation. Technically speaking, this is covered by the necessity to be free of mortal sin – as denial of the doctrine is heresy, which is a mortal sin.

Info clipped from Catholic websites… Catholic.com

Not sure I believe anyone is in heaven as of yet I am not sure I believe the same as a Christian in many or most things, dying and going right to “heaven” being one of them. I think the books we read were meant for the readers. I am sure that God has worked out things for all mankind, from the first people to the last. I don’t know what the plan is for all human kind All I am sure about is the messages available for me.

If there are aliens on other planets, I am sure they have a plan too J

So do you believe the vs. I posted about no one going to the Father except by Jesus? I thought I understood that you did, perhaps you only meant that it was a literal statement but that you did not personally buy into it?

I'm not sure that I personally buy into any of it.

Living your life according to the teachings of Jesus is a positive thing. If it turns out that the old stories are just stories after all, then you've still had a pretty good life. If it turns out that there is more to it than that, so much the better.

How does any of us know about god or the afterlife anyway? Line up 100 people at random, ask them about these things, and they'll come up with a hundred different opinions. No one knows. Maybe we're not supposed to know yet.

Living your life according to the teachings of Jesus is a positive thing. If it turns out that the old stories are just stories after all, then you've still had a pretty good life. If it turns out that there is more to it than that, so much the better.

How does any of us know about god or the afterlife anyway? Line up 100 people at random, ask them about these things, and they'll come up with a hundred different opinions. No one knows. Maybe we're not supposed to know yet.
I totally respect that answer. I guess that is why faith is a personal thing.

oddly enough when I've heard people speak of their faith its surprisingly similar to mine.

Also a person divorced in civil court then remarried cannot take communion. Until the church has given them an annulment they cannot take communion. John Kerry gets away with it but I don’t know why they make exceptions for him. They make an exception for him on the abortion part too. Ratzinger wrote and extensive article on it before he became Pope.

In order to receive communion, a Catholic must be in a state of grace (that is, not in a state of mortal sin), have been to confession since his committing his last mortal sin, believe in the doctrine of transubstantiation and observe the Eucharistic fast.

This requirement is, ironically enough, the one which is most often ignored. While most Catholics do not commit certain mortal sins (generally speaking the ones which are illegal) an unknown number commit mortal sins which have become “socially acceptable” and then go and receive the Eucharist. Among the most common of these mortal sins are adultery, fornication, use of contraception and material participation in abortion. Committing these sins and then receiving the Eucharist (especially for a public figure such as a politician who creates or votes for pro-abortion laws) not only spiritually damages the Catholic who is guilty of the mortal sin of profaning the body and blood of Jesus Christ, but also causes grave scandal to the Church.

The Church teaches that the Catholic must believe in the doctrine of transubstantiation. Technically speaking, this is covered by the necessity to be free of mortal sin – as denial of the doctrine is heresy, which is a mortal sin.

Info clipped from Catholic websites… Catholic.com
It is impossible for a priest to control who receives Communion in a Catholic Church. The numbers are large and many communicants are unknown to the priest or the lay assistant giving out communion. When a politician in Australia was ban by one priest he just went to another church.In the end it is up to the person to decide if he is worthy to receive communion. Church and State are separate in most countries so that while all political parties support abortion,their members can still receive communion. The Leader of the Opposition is a Catholic but still receives Communion despite his party supporting some abortion.

The modern Catholic Church does not believe that only Christians can enter Heave, After Vatican 2 we believe any person who leads a good life and try to do what God wants will go to heaven. So a decision for Christ is not necessary if you have never heard of Christ. We also what is good in another church or religion comes from God.

Werbung:
Well the term breaking bread for them was much like an American saying its dinner time. It’s just how they coined the phrase “dinner time” back in the day. So them saying lets break bread only means let’s eat dinner...Many middle eastern people still say “let us break bread” I think its kind of cute really… But I don’t find anything holy about it. Plus the bread they normally ate at meal times was leaven not unleavened and would never be able to serve the purpose of the "body of Christ"
To Catholics the linking of breaking bread with Prayers in The Acts was a celebration of the Mass. This was continued for 1500 years as you can see if you look at old church. We believe Catholics receive the Body and blood of Christ. Whether others do is debatable but I think that if you believe it is true you will receive the body and blood by your faith in any church communion.

Back