self-heating meals...

palefrost

Check this out! I was just reading Cooking up innovations on the CNN page and i noticed this one. It sounds kinda neet for a quick lunch or something.

The idea: Kiss your microwave goodbye. Quick Cuisine offers shelf-stable, ready-to-eat meals that contain their own heating device. The technology - similar to that used by the Army for its MREs - lets a meal cook at 140 degrees in 10 minutes with the push of a button.

Created by Swiss chemist Nicky Sevim and developed over four years, the meals are already available in Europe and are especially popular in the United Kingdom, where 350,000 are sold each month, mostly to office workers and campers.

The debut: Albertsons, Kroger, Publix, and 7-Eleven will start carrying the meals this fall for $6 to $7 a pop.

Steinke's Verdict: High potential. "American consumers love convenience food," she says. "If it really is made with better-quality ingredients, it'll be successful." She estimates 2007 U.S. sales of $5 million to $6 million.

Here is the whole page. some of the upcoming ideas are stupid but it will be fun to see which ones fly and which ones die in the future.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2006/09/01/8384331/index.htm

Werbung:
The latest trend in 'get you fat quick' except this product doesn't need heat... I like the idea, but I also think we are too dependant on the quick fix. I miss the days of good old home cooking.

I can't wait for the Star Trek replicator to come out.

Computer. Hot chocolate, milk, fluff.

Processing.

*ding* Your cocoa is now ready!

Next I want those crazy shwooshing doors!

I can't wait for the Star Trek replicator to come out.

Computer. Hot chocolate, milk, fluff.

Processing.

*ding* Your cocoa is now ready!

Next I want those crazy shwooshing doors!

Speaking of Star Trek (the orginal series) did you hear about the revamping CGI they are working on? The first episode that was done will be airing September 16th last i heard. Omg i just hijacked my own thread! :eek:

Speaking of Star Trek (the orginal series) did you hear about the revamping CGI they are working on? The first episode that was done will be airing September 16th last i heard. Omg i just hijacked my own thread! :eek:

No I didn't hear anything about it and yes you just attempted to hijack your own thread!

I'll have to keep a lookout for that.....

peace

-Todd

The latest trend in 'get you fat quick' except this product doesn't need heat... I like the idea, but I also think we are too dependant on the quick fix. I miss the days of good old home cooking.

It's not something I would normally be interested in. However, giving it a second thought it might be good for low budget short holidays away from home.

You know, as someone who has had the self-heating MRE's while serving in the military I can't say I'm all that jazzed about using it in civilian life. What ever happened to heating stuff up on the stove anyhow?

You know, as someone who has had the self-heating MRE's while serving in the military I can't say I'm all that jazzed about using it in civilian life. What ever happened to heating stuff up on the stove anyhow?

I can see it as a great lunch alternative if you work in a small office without a microwave or if you are traveling. Heck even a college kid could find a use for it. Camping could use it. Do people still camp? LOL I think the quality of the meals they offer will decide if people do it though. ITs about 8 bucks each so i want something tasty myself.

Yeah, okay, good point palefrost. I guess I just avoid anything that I had to do when in the military. Like those people who wear camoflauge as a fashion statement...bet they wouldn't do that if they had to wear it every day for four years.

When I was in the service I hated MRE's. I thought they tasted gross and had a funny texture to them. I can see using them for camping and such but I wouldn't want to eat them all the time. I did find the self-heating part cool though. The first time I did it, I was highly amused.

Well then, maybe people will buy these self-heating meals for the amusement factor. :) I'm with you on the funny texture and taste of MREs though.

Werbung:
When I was in the service I hated MRE's. I thought they tasted gross and had a funny texture to them. I can see using them for camping and such but I wouldn't want to eat them all the time. I did find the self-heating part cool though. The first time I did it, I was highly amused.

You were in the service? For how long? What did you think of it? What service. I think its interesting to see how it effected your political views...

Back