Should voting be mandatory?

Perhaps if people on government assistance didn't vote, there would be less government assistance to be had. Would that be such a bad thing?
If you subsist on taxpayer money you will surely vote to continue and expand it.
Only taxpayers should directvtheir $.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...its-from-the-federal-government-in-six-charts
Three-quarters of entitlement benefits written into law in the United States go toward the elderly or disabled. That's according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. And a big chunk of the rest goes to working households. Only about 9 percent of all entitlement benefits go toward non-elderly, non-disabled households without jobs (and much of that involves health care and unemployment insurance)”
2-10-12bud-f1.jpg

If you want to look at who the taxes benefit.
tax expenditures added up to about $1.2 trillion in 2011. And they tend to flow disproportionately toward wealthier households”
2-10-12bud-f3.jpg

You guys have a distorted imagination of just who welfare recipients are. You are essentially saying you don't want a lot of 65+ people nor disabled people to vote.
A very small fraction of people are "welfare queens". Yet the right wing acts as though they are in the majority of welfare recipients.

Werbung:
watch Fox news, talk to the American public...then try to find any way you can want more of them to vote....This nation is far far to stupid for mandatory voting. 70% thinking Iraq attacked us on 9-11...no

Also these moochers that can't vote...does that mean pretty much all rich people with all the tax deals they mooch on and all the bail outs, all the subsidy's ....

Also these moochers that can't vote...does that mean pretty much all rich people with all the tax deals they mooch on and all the bail outs, all the subsidy's ....
Right. Furthermore the moochers are also corporations such as Mc Donalds and Walmart that pay wages that are below subsistence level. Gov welfare helps the workers survive. Who benefits? It's Walmart and Mc Donalds at the tax payers expense.

Right. Furthermore the moochers are also corporations such as Mc Donalds and Walmart that pay wages that are below subsistence level. Gov welfare helps the workers survive. Who benefits? It's Walmart and Mc Donalds at the tax payers expense.
McDonlads and WalMart Don't vote, nor should they be able to influence elections with their $$$. Corporations are not people, and don't have a right to "free speech" via giving away money to candidates who support their positions.

And, why not include people getting subsidies in the non voting welfare recipient lists?

McDonlads and WalMart Don't vote, nor should they be able to influence elections with their $$$. Corporations are not people, and don't have a right to "free speech" via giving away money to candidates who support their positions.
I agree with that, but my point was that welfare is most often not a choice but a necessity to survive. My example is that a higher level of mooching is done by low wage paying corporations than by citizens.
And, why not include people getting subsidies in the non voting welfare recipient lists?
I think the real question is why deny people over 65, people with disabilities, and people with low paying jobs the right to vote. It doesn't make sense. Low paying jobs is a serious problem.

As a solution McDonalds suggests getting a second job, $20 a month for health insurance, $zero for heating! etc. That is totally unrealistic. Shame on them.
Screen-shot-2013-07-15-at-9.29.08-AM.png

I dont care who the moochers are. I just dont want them to vote themselves more of my money.
Corporations dont vote so are moot to this discussion.
Anything about the 40+million food stampers in your charts ?

I dont care who the moochers are. I just dont want them to vote themselves more of my money.
I think what you are really thinking is that you don't want Democrats in politics. Mooching is a major part of this discussion. You obviously don't care about corporations mooching my tax money, and you don't care about Americans with nowhere to turn. C'mon show some compassion.
Anything about the 40+million food stampers in your charts ?
Yes, they are most likely the 91% seniors, the disabled and the people that can only get one job at McDonalds or Walmart.
What is your suggestion on how they can survive?

I think what you are really thinking is that you don't want Democrats in politics. Mooching is a major part of this discussion. You obviously don't care about corporations mooching my tax money, and you don't care about Americans with nowhere to turn. C'mon show some compassion.

Yes, they are most likely the 91% seniors, the disabled and the people that can only get one job at McDonalds or Walmart.
What is your suggestion on how they can survive?
Did I suggest eliminating the teet or withdrawing the vote ?
This thread concerns itself with voting. Ergo I concern myself with voting.
Just dtaying on topic Lag.

Did I suggest eliminating the teet or withdrawing the vote ?
This thread concerns itself with voting. Ergo I concern myself with voting.
Just staying on topic Lag.
I was discussing the ramifications of your idea. If you want to avoid that I certainly understand your far right perspective.

If there us a legitimate reason for altering the teet then tax payers can change it.
Legitimate vs gimme is the ramification.
As I said, I can understand your far right perspective to eliminate about 50% of the lowest class votes so that a new totally republican senate, house, and president will thrive and eliminate all health and welfare programs, eliminate corporate regulations, eliminate minimum wage, and lower taxes for everyone, especially the rich.

If that's the kind of America you want, you are entitled to your opinion.

The corporations will say 'gimme' and the government will do so. Screw anyone who has lost retirement savings, suffered huge medical expenses, lost their homes, or try to live on starvation wages.

As I said, I can understand your far right perspective to eliminate about 50% of the lowest class votes so that a new totally republican senate, house, and president will thrive and eliminate all health and welfare programs, eliminate corporate regulations, eliminate minimum wage, and lower taxes for everyone, especially the rich.

If that's the kind of America you want, you are entitled to your opinion.

The corporations will say 'gimme' and the government will do so. Screw anyone who has lost retirement savings, suffered huge medical expenses, lost their homes, or try to live on starvation wages.
Well mo point in me typing my thoughts here, all you care to do is talk about your own. Is there a lot of echo where you live ?

Well mo point in me typing my thoughts here, all you care to do is talk about your own. Is there a lot of echo where you live ?
Of course I talk about my own. Isn't that what a forum is for? I am on topic because you raised your issue on having no voters on welfare. I'm telling you the ramifications. Why are you taking an "off-topic" stance with such indignation when I'm much more within the norm than the usual thread. As a moderator you have allowed much worse off-topic straying in other threads.

I do nt think It would make much difference if Voting was compulsory in the USA. Even in Australia the rich usually get elected. Pensioners usually vote Conservative. It is true we have a Labor Party but much of its support comes from the Middle Class. Denying the vote to any group would be unfair. Even the Old paid xes most of their life.
You have election November next year and already have candidates. We also have elections next year but no campaigning yet

Werbung:
On Topic, my answer is NO..

Now, I said this before...

I believe that the idea of true “social justice” can only exist as a result of righteousness. As far as social equality is concerned, there are two elements of righteousness that must exist for it to take place. First, mankind must learn to put off selfishness and develop true charity. With charity, the pure love of Christ, in his heart, man will look upon those who stand in need of assistance and give to them willingly, out of a sense of compassion and love. A charitable person is not compelled to do for others, he does so as a byproduct of the Christ like attribute he has developed within. That's Gods way..

Second, social justice cannot be achieved until men are righteous to the degree that each exercises self-sufficiency to the full measure of their ability. There are some in our society who are content to live off the labor of others. Whether this comes as a result of laziness, a misplaced sense of entitlement, or any other reason, it is an obstacle to achieving equality and justice in our society and it is a WRONG. When possessions are taken from he who earned it and given to one who did not earn it, but was capable of doing so, justice is not present.

I believe that real social justice can only attained by following this pattern. Efforts to achieve social justice through any kind of redistributive measures cannot succeed. There is a serious problem with government and social policies enacted to achieve social justice and universal equality. Since righteousness cannot be legislated or forced upon man, neither then can the fruits of righteousness be enjoyed as a consequence of government. There are several problems that arise when a government attempts to force equality in society.
Doug

Back