Slaughtering wolves from planes

Palin has gone and put a bounty on wolves much like was done with the gray wolf out west when it was hunted almost to extinction. People like you would have supported that as well.
Again, it is worthy to note, that a bounty is put in place as a reward to those undertaking a state permitted aerial predator control efforts. The poppulations of wolves are in no way endangered in AK. The "bounty" deals with covering the costs of fuel of operating an airplane by private, permitted individuals.
In other words, those that kill potential wolf prey for fun and Palin, in cutting down the predators, is making sure they have enough moose, caribou etc. to get their kicks out of killing. Let me add, that I am not referring to subsistence hunters, I'm talking about so called urban hunters that go to Alaska to trophy hunt.
Popeye, it is necessary to note that the areas in question are heavily dependant on subsistence resources and out of state trophy hunters are not allowed to hunt in the areas in question.

Werbung:
The people there use both for food. I think Bunz posted to the canadian when the canaidan talked about our beef that he lived mostly on wild game. I know my friends who live in Alaska eat almost all wild game.
Ah the Canadian, lets not even bring that up! :D
Either way, this year due to a good year, my family will be eating probably
%85 of our meat will be locally harvested fish and game. We will have turkey on Thanksgiving, and purchased lunch meat like ham, and maybe an occassional farmed raised chicken meal. But other than that, my diet and that of most rural Alaskans is salmon and other fish, moose and caribou, and then upland and waterfowl birds.

Ah the Canadian, lets not even bring that up! :D
Either way, this year due to a good year, my family will be eating probably
%85 of our meat will be locally harvested fish and game. We will have turkey on Thanksgiving, and purchased lunch meat like ham, and maybe an occassional farmed raised chicken meal. But other than that, my diet and that of most rural Alaskans is salmon and other fish, moose and caribou, and then upland and waterfowl birds.

I am glad I got that right, my point still stands. When you first posted about this topic in the whole of 5 pages Popeye had no interest on the topic, except to say he understood things were different in Alaska, and now because he hates Sarah Palin for being nominated VP and rubbing the anointed one the wrong way he is on a full out attack of her.

Dont be mistaken, at every turn, Palin is a poppulist. Her personal convictions are what is the latest poppular stance on various issues. Nothing less.

Here's a question for you Bunz; is it that she takes on the latest popular cause, or is it that her own causes are becoming popular?

From what I've gleaned from reviewing as much of her record as possible, I've seen nowhere that she's "flip-flopped" on her own personal beliefs in order to appease the people of either Wasilla or Alaska. There is something to be said for a Governor listening to their constituants, provided it's within the law, but as I said, from what I've seen, read, and heard, I've been given no indication of any duplicitous activities on her part.

Well I deleted the last sentence of the post, but I agree with this part. Imagine that. Federal Farmer and I agree on this issue.

OK, that's it, I'M CHANGING MY POSITION!!! I can't have Bunz agreeing with me on ANYTHING! :D:D:D

Well, as a hunter myself I see no sport in hunting from a plane. To me it amounts to shooting ducks in a barrel.:confused:

I can understand wanting to thin out the wolves, but this is their natural habitat and nature can be just as effective in keeping the balance between wolves and their prey as a bullet can. It's human encroachment into the hunting territory of the wolves that is the problem, but it seems to be convenient to blame the wolves.

I don't live there so I don't know the full extent of just how dire this situation is. I find it hard to believe that there are starving families in Alaska because the wolves are eating all their food. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to find the same people who are complaing about the wolves eating their food also eat regularly at McDonalds.

Well, as a hunter myself I see no sport in hunting from a plane. To me it amounts to shooting ducks in a barrel.:confused:

I can understand wanting to thin out the wolves, but this is their natural habitat and nature can be just as effective in keeping the balance between wolves and their prey as a bullet can. It's human encroachment into the hunting territory of the wolves that is the problem, but it seems to be convenient to blame the wolves.

I don't live there so I don't know the full extent of just how dire this situation is. I find it hard to believe that there are starving families in Alaska because the wolves are eating all their food. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to find the same people who are complaing about the wolves eating their food also eat regularly at McDonalds.

The original link on this topic is in the thread shooting dogs from planes. That thread has a whole lot more information on why they do it. This link has only one agenda, to try and slams Sarah Palin. The other link was posted before she was named VP so the topic was actually about the wolves. If you are seriously interested in why they do it, you should read the first link that is about the actual topic.

If you are seriously interested in why they do it, you should read the first link that is about the actual topic.

I don't know about any other threads. I replied to this one called "Slaughtering wolves from planes".

I'm familiar with why they they do it because I've discussed it before. There are all kinds of arguments for it, including, but not limited to, wolves eating moose that people claim to need for food. The wildlife population and the people who eat the meat they kill actually need these wolves to ensure a health herd. The more natural predators that are removed from a habitat the greater chance that there will be an onset of disease which could have an affect on the people eating it and the animals also.

I also know about sport hunting which is why I mentioned shooting a duck in a barrel. I see no sport in the advantage a hunter has hunting from a plane, unless their real objective it the trill of killing something for the sake of bragging rights.

If Palin supports this practice of hunting from a plane then she doesn't have the right to call herself a sports hunter. This is more like target practice.
This link has only one agenda, to try and slams Sarah Palin
I don't see my comments being a "slam" on Palin. I disagree with her support for aerial hunting of wolves.

I don't know about any other threads. I replied to this one called "Slaughtering wolves from planes".

I'm familiar with why they they do it because I've discussed it before. There are all kinds of arguments for it, including, but not limited to, wolves eating moose that people claim to need for food. The wildlife population and the people who eat the meat they kill actually need these wolves to ensure a health herd. The more natural predators that are removed from a habitat the greater chance that there will be an onset of disease which could have an affect on the people eating it and the animals also.

I also know about sport hunting which is why I mentioned shooting a duck in a barrel. I see no sport in the advantage a hunter has hunting from a plane, unless their real objective it the trill of killing something for the sake of bragging rights.

If Palin supports this practice of hunting from a plane then she doesn't have the right to call herself a sports hunter. This is more like target practice.

I don't see my comments being a "slam" on Palin. I disagree with her support for aerial hunting of wolves.

Here is the real link pre Palin VP pick,when the topic was about the actual topic not about Sarah Palin.

https://www.houseofpolitics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3013&highlight=shooting+dogs+from+planes

Have you ever TRIED to shoot at a moving target, from a moving platform? It requires a GREAT amount of skill, and practice to be able to hit a stationary target from a helicopter which has the ability to slow down, or even hover, much less to be able to do it while cruising at between 75 and 90 m.p.h.!

Nobody is disputing human encroachment, but that's not the issue. The issue is the fact that the wolf population has exploded in recent years, primarily due to a lack of THEIR natural predators.

Uh, no. Try making a trip up there some time. It'll really open your eyes. To be totally fair about it, I only go up once or twice a year, but there have been years when I wasn't able to go at all (like this one), so you'll have to get Bunz to explain the dynamics on the ground as they exist today.

Have you ever TRIED to shoot at a moving target, from a moving platform?

Nope. If I don't consider it a sport I have no reason to try it. The hunter still has the distinct advantage from the air, and from the clips I've seen, the wolves are pretty much out in the open, leaving the wolves at a huge disadvantage, having been chased there by the plane. The only person on that type of hunt who I would consider a sportsman would be the pilot because he's herding wolves. I still consider it shooting ducks in a barrel.

Nobody is disputing human encroachment, but that's not the issue.
Well, I've read a lot of arguements in favor of this type of hunt and there are folks who claim the wolves are eating one of their main food sources. If that isn't the issue then it must be because the wolves are eating game that hunters are after but don't want to go any great distance to find, or they are trying to insure urban hunter success ratios.

The issue is the fact that the wolf population has exploded in recent years, primarily due to a lack of THEIR natural predators.

It's also true that nature has a way of correcting these balances and that the balance between predator and prey fluctuates in cycles. We have seen the same problem here with coyote and the deer.

The preditor studies I've read indicate that bears are the real source of the problem, not the wolves.

Werbung:
Wasn't one of the things the libs whimper about for arctic drilling is that it'll spoil the view or something for the caribou? Ahh, but having them eaten alive by wolves is better! :D

yup. as long as it keeps mccain outa the white house lol. talk about a double standard

Back