1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Streaming is good or bad?

Discussion in 'Education Policies' started by zerorelations, Apr 2, 2007.

1. zerorelations

zerorelations New Member

Who believes that streaming (i.e. separating good students and poor students into different classes A,B,C etc.) is a good thing? Its seems to be falling out of fashion which is a disgrace!!!!

2. USMC the Almighty

USMC the Almighty New Member

Of course it's a good thing. Unless of course, you want every student to be equally worthless...

3. Friendindeed

Friendindeed New Member

I too believe it is a good thing.
    Boredom is a killer for bright students otherwise.

4. icono1

icono1 Member

Great idea that worked so therefore it is being discarded because of it's so called eletist overtones.

5. 9sublime

9sublime Active Member

If you are better at something than someone why should you be held back? Just to make them feel better? No way. The school should instead find something that this less intelligent pupil enjoys/is good at.

6. vyo476

vyo476 Active Member

I spent two years in unstreamed classes in high school. There were ups and downs to them - one was a discussion-based class and the other was lecture-based. The discussion class was excellent - as many of my classes were streamed it meant I got to hear opinions and ideas from people whose GPAs weren't as high as mine, adding diversity to the discussions. The lecture class was terrible; I had the textbook read in about two weeks and was horribly bored for the rest of the class.

So its a mixed bag. Some classes benefit from streaming (especially math and science) whereas some benefit from all-inclusiveness.