Worst-kept secret in the country: Arlen Specter is a Democrat

Little-Acorn

Looks like Specter will finally make official what has been obvious for years: He's too liberal for the Republican party. And his constituents don't like it, and would probably vote him out in the next election. His solution? Instead of doing what his constituents want, he'll switch to a new set of constituents.

If nothing else does, that proves his liberalism.

------------------------------

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/senate/specter-to-switch-parties.html

Specter To Switch Parties

Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter will switch his party affiliation from Republican to Democrat and announced today that he will run in 2010 as a Democrat, according to a statement he released this morning.

Specter's decision would give Democrats a 60 seat filibuster proof majority in the Senate assuming Democrat Al Franken is eventually sworn in as the next Senator from Minnesota. (Former Sen. Norm Coleman is appealing Franken's victory in the state Supreme Court.)

"I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary," said Specter in a statement. "I am ready, willing and anxious to take on all comers and have my candidacy for re-election determined in a general election."

He added: "Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent, the Republican Party has moved far to the right. Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats. I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans."

The precariousness of Specter's political position -- a Republican in a Democratic-leaning state -- was on display earlier this year when he was one of three GOP Senators to back President Barack Obama's $787 billion economic stimulus plan. That vote was strongly condemned by conservative Republicans and Toomey used that vote as the launching pad for his candidacy.

Because of the shrinking Republican vote in the state, Specter was seen as a dead man walking politically in the primary with polling showing him trailing Toomey by ten or more points. The bar for Specter to run as an independent was also extremely high due to the rules governing such a third party candidacy.

That left a Democratic candidacy as Specter's best option if he wanted to remain in the Senate beyond 2010.

Werbung:
Looks like Specter will finally make official what has been obvious for years: He's too liberal for the Republican party. And his constituents don't like it......
Pretty sure o' that, are you??​

"I find it interesting that a stimulus spending package in the midst of the steepest recession in memory is the sticking point. For the GOP to have remained mute under the massive increases in spending and borrowing under Bush but to make resistance to the Obama stimulus package a litmus test for conservatism reveals that the deepest principle of the Republican base is partisanship."​

Thank God! I am so glad he is gone, not that he was ever really there anyway. I hope the other two RINO's go with him.

It will be interesting to see how the dems treat him and if he can win the dem primary, he sure as heck was not going to win the republican primary!

the republican party gets smaller and less powerful...the small minded rejoice and try to claim its a victory...Keep sending more smart "rinos" over its not like your party needs and brains or moderates....
What do you care?

You don't like Conservatives and you don't agree with Conservative principles (limited government, lower taxes, individual liberty).

I'd think you'd be happy, you could finally have the one party system you've always wanted... A veritable Shangri-La for all you big government statists. Who knows, Democrats could "Change" America into the same Progressive Utopia that they've created in Michigan. I know that would make you happy.

The last people Conservatives and Republicans should listen to for how to reform the party, are people like you... Your calling for Republicans to be more like Democrats - Just vote Democrat!

We don't need two big government, big spending, big deficit, big debt, big brother parties.... we've had that for waaaayyyy too long.... we need a real choice in the voting booth... I'll vote on principle, for politicians who share those principles and don't sell out those principles.

You keep voting for whoever is handing out the most "free" stuff, fill yourself on bread and circus, wash it down with some kool aid, and get fat and happy while selling out the liberty of future generations for your own personal gratification.

And after you voted for Al Franken, its laughable that you would preach to us about needing brains.

Looks like Specter will finally make official what has been obvious for years: He's too liberal for the Republican party. And his constituents don't like it, and would probably vote him out in the next election.
Lemme guess.......that's what "They say.....", right?

:rolleyes:

"The GOP in his home state had once been a bastion of moderates and liberals including William Scranton, Hugh Scott and Richard Schweiker. In the age of Barack Obama, Republicans of that stripe are flooding into the Democratic Party. Specter is not a leading indicator. His conversion is the culmination of an inexorable trend.http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy.../04/28/AR2009042802735.html?hpid=opinionsbox1"​

"Specter's move is a major defection for a state Republican Party that has been bleeding voters while clinging to the notion that conservative ideology will bring about victory, analysts said."​

And after you voted for Al Franken, its laughable that you would preach to us about needing brains.
Agreed. The void between your collective-ears is no laughing-matter, and should be considered the disability it is.​

"He attended Harvard College and graduated cum laude in 1973 with a bachelor of arts degree in political science.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_franken"​

al-franken-flight-suit-300x375.jpg

What do you care?

You don't like Conservatives and you don't agree with Conservative principles (limited government, lower taxes, individual liberty).

I'd think you'd be happy, you could finally have the one party system you've always wanted... A veritable Shangri-La for all you big government statists. Who knows, Democrats could "Change" America into the same Progressive Utopia that they've created in Michigan. I know that would make you happy.

The last people Conservatives and Republicans should listen to for how to reform the party, are people like you... Your calling for Republicans to be more like Democrats - Just vote Democrat!

We don't need two big government, big spending, big deficit, big debt, big brother parties.... we've had that for waaaayyyy too long.... we need a real choice in the voting booth... I'll vote on principle, for politicians who share those principles and don't sell out those principles.

You keep voting for whoever is handing out the most "free" stuff, fill yourself on bread and circus, wash it down with some kool aid, and get fat and happy while selling out the liberty of future generations for your own personal gratification.

Speaking of brains, I did not in fact vote for Frankin...and the rest of your post is just about as worthless. enjoy your party of the pure and powerless. Was not even worth reading your post as you dont have a clue what you are talking about.

the republican party gets smaller and less powerful...the small minded rejoice and try to claim its a victory...Keep sending more smart "rinos" over its not like your party needs and brains or moderates....

Did you like... miss the whole past election? If smart rinos were the answer to the problem, why did republican lose the election?

You act like this is a bad move, yet they tried it your way and lost big time.

It's almost like if republicans use your plan and lose, that's brilliant. But if they try it a different way and win, that's stupid.

Republicans tried "big tent" and it didn't work. They tried all inclusive, and it failed. They tried appealing to the center, and they lost their entire base and the election.

So you can be a whiny wannabe and cry about how we're 'small minded' and blaw blaw blaw. The fact is your system failed. Trying it your way is a complete failure. You can take your pretend Republicans, and keep em. We don't want them, or you. :p

Speaking of brains, I did not in fact vote for Frankin...and the rest of your post is just about as worthless. enjoy your party of the pure and powerless. Was not even worth reading your post as you dont have a clue what you are talking about.

You are not convincing me you have a clue what your talking about. You don't seem to know whats going on. You complain constantly. You don't understand the issues. You are wasting everyone time. You are getting about as useless as Shaman. Maybe you could start multi-coloring your posts or something. Perhaps throw in a few random links to nothing important.

You are not convincing me you have a clue what your talking about. You don't seem to know whats going on. You complain constantly. You don't understand the issues. You are wasting everyone time. You are getting about as useless as Shaman. Maybe you could start multi-coloring your posts or something. Perhaps throw in a few random links to nothing important.

why don't you just re-post some more talking points , its about all your good for.

Gee.....lemme guess (and, I know I'm goin'-out on a limb, here :rolleyes: )......you probably missed President Obama's press-conference, last night....right?

:rolleyes:

Of course he didn't watch it....but you can be sure he went over to Faux News to get their one sided observations, which he'll post later as absolute fact. Then, when anyone of us challenges him on it...he'll call us stupid.

Werbung:
Back