1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Would you give her a divorce?

Discussion in 'Middle Eastern Politics' started by PLC1, Jun 15, 2008.

1. PLC1

PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

Yemen child bride Nujood Ali gets divorce

I saw this one in the morning paper. My reaction:

Holy crap!:eek:

What's your reaction?

2. Pidgey

Pidgey Well-Known Member

You see a lot of that kind of thing over there. It ain't like here at all. Many rich families send buyers to Indonesia and other such places to buy them (little girls) like cattle.

Pidgey

3. badeth

badeth New Member

I've been doing a research on Women’s Rights and Divorce Advocacy Information.

I think it's also a good idea to delve into the issue of child marriage and divorce. Child marriage is almost a custom in mostly Islamic countries such as Yemen and Saudi. Poverty has exacerbated the problem of child marriage, where the parents offer their female children to pay debt and get rich. They should have implemented a strict law on this so children will live a better life.

4. ASPCA4EVER

ASPCA4EVER New Member

Land of the JAYHAWKS-ROCK CHOCK Jayhawk, KU
    DISCUSTING and SHAMEFUL...the way in which our human race places such a burden upon the female gender for her 'VALUE' of her virginity.

{{heavy sigh}} In some cultures the method of assigning a marriage certificate to a baby at birth was a form of protection from other prying male members of the village/community...that allowed the young female the ability to grow with the umbrella of protection for her virginity until her wedding day to the other young man of her approximate age. And then the 'VALUE' for VIRGIN SLAVE TRADE became a money making proposition and many a lessor thinking: family member/community social order/religious deviant controlling leader found the method of barter/trading/selling off the young female members the rationale/reasonable thing to do.

Historically speaking; many a countries boundaries and alliances were firmed up and guaranteed by such a 'VIRGIN' trade/exchange.

SH!T HAPPENS to the female species and it ain't always NICE.:mad: But then again I may be overly sensitive since the onset of puberty the male species seem to think that stalking, cat calling, whistling and making crude remarks about my early onset of 'BOOBS' was something that I was proud of...GOOD GRIEF the humiliation that the female species suffers is horrible without having to worry about her virginity at that tender age of 10 or younger!!! IMO

5. Dante the Marxist

Dante the Marxist New Member

That can only be described as barbaric. She should get a divorce, and her husband should be severly punished. I consider this proof of the dangers of a fundelmentalist culture.

6. dahermit

dahermit New Member

It begs the question: No matter how barbaric another countrie's(Islamic), customs appear to us, how has interjecting U.S. moral values into other countries (Islamic) worked for us so far?

7. Dante the Marxist

By speaking in opposition to Islam, I do not support the US. I was speaking of all fundelmentalism, including the type found in small southern-US towns [and a small town near mine. 2 churches on every street].

8. Pidgey

Pidgey Well-Known Member

They traffic a lot of their underage girls into sexual slavery, do they?

I have to admit that I believe in fundamentals... I believe that one should fundamentally live within their means instead of going into debt that there's no possible way they can pay back. I believe that one should fundamentally give back more to the community than they take. Stuff like that. So... I'm a bad guy?

Or do you just fundamentally dislike/abhor people with particular religious beliefs?

9. dahermit

dahermit New Member

I was not referring to your post. My intent was to suggest that we should not stick our ethnocentric noses into another countries business; it has already caused us enough problems.

10. Dante the Marxist

Most religious people are reasonoble, responsible people until it gets to anything related to thier religioun. So, technically, its thier beliefs that I dislike.

11. Dante the Marxist

OOOOHHHHHHHH. Sorry about that.

12. ASPCA4EVER

ASPCA4EVER New Member

Land of the JAYHAWKS-ROCK CHOCK Jayhawk, KU
    GOOD POINT...and who are we to say & react to this situation when we have our very own established communities that are living openly above and beyond the 'LAW' of our country...they have separated themselves from the Mormon Church but they are taking/allowing 'child brides' to be traded around their fellowship as goods or a marketable product for resale!!!

And this unfortunate little girl could well be the exception and 'not the rule' in this country too!