1939: Movie Quotes

Libsmasher

In the opinion of many people, one of the greatest years for movies, in the century they have been made, is 1939. Here are some quotes:

Gunga Din

Colonel Weed: "Though I've belted you and flayed you / By the living God that made you / You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din."

Sgt. Archibald Cutter: Now you're all under arrest. Her Majesty's very touchy about having her subjects strangled.

The Wizard of Oz

Dorothy: Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more.

Gone With the Wind

Rhett Butler: No, I don't think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That's what's wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how.

(Note: this was 1939, and most movie goers would have been aware that "kissed" above was a euphemism for something, uh, more intimate. :))

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame

Clopin: Here is your contest. Try to cut every bell out of this armor suit. If a single bell jingles, you lose.
Gringoire: And then?
Clopin: And then you hang!
Gringoire: [pondering for a moment] Can you do it?
Clopin: I'm above that sort of thing. I cut throats.

Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

[after all the other Senators walk out]

Jefferson Smith: I, I call the chair's attention to... to, uh... Rule 5 of the Standing Rules of the Senate, Section... Section 3. "If it shall be found that a quorum is not present, a majority of the Senators present" - and that looks like me - uh, uh, "may direct the Sergeant-at-Arms to request, and if necessary compel, the attendance of the absent Senators." Well, Mr. President, I so direct.

The Four Feathers

[the church door opens and a delivery boy from the army gives Harry a package that contains three white feathers]
Ethne: [Picking up the feathers from the floor] Is this your friends' idea of a joke? What is it, Harry?
Harry Faversham: Feathers of cowardice. Yesterday we were informed that our regement would be shipping out to Sudan. That we would be sent to war.

Werbung:
Back